Just Celebrated My 10th Year

usacrew3

Advanced
Sep 17, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Its been the best roller coaster ride Ive ever had the pleasure of riding. I started in Consumer Affairs on June 20, 1994. While I was in training flight 1016 crashed in CLT and I wondered if I had made a good decision to work for USAir. Then right after training flight 427 crashed and we received the hate mail and calls on a daily basis calling us every bad name under the sun, you've heard them Im sure. I worked with family members of that crash and decided that by doing my best I could help turn our airline around and get the stock back up - remember $4 a share.
As a gate agent I worked in MSY for a year. My shift began at 5am and I loved every minute of it. My coworkers were all dedicated and we worked well as a team. Msy was a great station to be part of.
Then came the inflight bug and I started flying domestic trips out of CLT. Being one of the most junior flight attendants we got the dog trips unless some senior mama called off her trip then I had 90 minutes to get my butt on the airplane. I loved flying and was commended on several occasions for a job well done. Then it was off to PHW to fly internationally for five years. Again, I flew the dog low paying trips although I did go to Rome once, the Friday after September 11th when I volunteered for the trip when we were short crew members. The flight was overbooked by 220 as stranded passengers tried to get back to the States and the man towards the back did throw a can of ginger ale at me when he didn't get the chicken, I only had pasta left. It was a great experience to go over and bring those passengers home.
Since January I have been back on domestic in Philly and after a series of disasterous flights and having given up defending the company for the total lack of customer service, I have decided to move on. I just mailed my voluntary separation notice to the company today and already I feel the weight beginning to lift. For those of you who I have had the pleasure to work with, you know who I am, thanks for the great memories and I wish you all the very best. Thanks for the memories US Air.

Good luck and congrats that you have the courage to move on. Where I am sure it is never an easy decision to make... I think you will find that there ar alot of soul satisfying work out there to be done.

Your post was positive and encouraging. I pray that others who are leaning in the same directions find comfort in your posting!

Good for you and good luck in all you do. Personally, I think I will stick it out a while longer. I admire your courage. One piece of advice, do something for yourself and work doing something you love.

Best wishes to you usacrew3. I wish I had the courage to do what you are doing. I am also going to stick it out a bit longer and hopefully get my severance pay and unemployment to get me started.
I and many of my coworkers are looking forward to the day we are furloughed. Sounds rediculous but it's true. We are tired of playing the waiting game and being lied to over and over again. A fresh start is what so many of us are longing for and it's right around the corner.
Good luck in your future ventures and Thanks for the uplifting post.

Best of Luck usacrew3. I admire your courage. I have been on the very brink of turning in a voluntary separation myself. I have chosen for now to stick it out. Hoping and praying for another VF to come soon. Then I am history. I just got my ten year ruby in May. I remember those two crashes too, just after graduation from training. I have yet to make it over to Europe. Probably never will.

I hope you find something you love and is worthwhile.

PS: We may even know one another from training. :)

My best wishes to you. I gotta hand it to you. I have about 7 yrs in. If I were able to leave the company and fly at little/no charge "for life", (currently you need to complete 10 yrs. under the VSIP), I would leave too.

However, 10 passes for the next 10 yrs...is somewhat tempting. Who knows!?!

Good luck with whatever you decided to do, going forward........and for sharing your story with everyone..... :)

First Thank you for your service, each of the employees has their own story to tell most of the memories are pretty good probably because the involve PEOPLE, co-workers, friends family and the like. here is a parallel view of your timeline. perhaps someelse can post thiers.

Its been the best roller coaster ride Ive ever had the pleasure of riding. I started in Consumer Affairs on June 20, 1994. While I was in training flight 1016 crashed in CLT and I wondered if I had made a good decision to work for USAir.

[ I was few planes in front of 1016, and upon arrival had cameras, reporters and the looks of hundreds of concerned passengers watching us wanting to know what excatly what went wrong (of course we didn't know until we opened the door and found out about the terrible news) of having to call home to say you were not the plane and hearing your family cry both for goodness and sadness isnt exactly the greatest... later i woujld go on to find out what it was like inside that plane from a discussions with one that was on the il fated flight. or arriving at the layover hotel only to find there were relatives there of the victims calling you a murder or you kill my son/daughter/mom/dad... as you left the lobby....

Then right after training flight 427 crashed and we received the hate mail and calls on a daily basis calling us every bad name under the sun, you've heard them Im sure. I worked with family members of that crash and decided that by doing my best I could help turn our airline around and get the stock back up - remember $4 a share.

I remember saying not again watching the USAIR name reported on in that matter every night for a while. again only to call home and say it wasnt my plane (nor was 1492 in lax, nor 5050 in lga nor the f28 in lga, nor the other 3 hulls we lost in that terrible time) yes being told we were down to 28 days of cash left
and giving up at the time too cash and benefits for the good of the operation

As a gate agent I worked in MSY for a year. My shift began at 5am and I loved every minute of it. My coworkers were all dedicated and we worked well as a team. Msy was a great station to be part of.

I have seen all the mainline stations they all have great folks and it still remains an honor to be associated with the professionals that make it all happen each day in spite of what has happened to them of late, they still do a great job
Then came the inflight bug and I started flying domestic trips out of CLT. Being one of the most junior flight attendants we got the dog trips unless some senior mama called off her trip then I had 90 minutes to get my butt on the airplane. I loved flying and was commended on several occasions for a job well done. Then it was off to PHW to fly internationally for five years.

well after 16 years gets you a job, at the bottom all my contemporarys are left seat on 757s and the like while 15years gets you 0 pension, unemployment and little hope of finishing what was supposed to be a 36 year career but thats not going to happen now. and yeah reserve bites but 10 years of reserve is inhuman 15years of reserve and you begin to wonder about your career choice.

Again, I flew the dog low paying trips although I did go to Rome once, the Friday after September 11th when I volunteered for the trip when we were short crew members. The flight was overbooked by 220 as stranded passengers tried to get back to the States and the man towards the back did throw a can of ginger ale at me when he didn't get the chicken, I only had pasta left. It was a great experience to go over and bring those passengers home.

9/11 a defining moment in america's aviation history (to say the least) my heart goes out to those that paid the ultimate price (after all we are only talking about employement here) some of us knew the people on some of those planes personally, some knew people that worked there, some saw the pentagon get hit from our jetways at DCA, on that day more aircrew died than police officers. and the next day (and the next and the next until days later when allowed) those crewmembers and 10s of thousands just like them lined up to Do their Jobs like they always had done. No thanks, No hero's just showing up to do their work like any good american would have and continues to do. The looks from the customers told it all. some said it out loud some didnt but they all meant it. One guy walked with me as i went to work and said where you going? i told him he said i'm going to dont have to dont want to but i'm here to show you America wont change for that he walked up bought a round trip ticket and travel 2 legs that day ending where he started. i wont forget that gesture.

Since January I have been back on domestic in Philly and after a series of disasterous flights and having given up defending the company for the total lack of customer service,

for old times sake i just gotta say.................ITS PHILLY...... sorry man, couldnt resist.

I have decided to move on. I just mailed my voluntary separation notice to the company today and already I feel the weight beginning to lift. For those of you who I have had the pleasure to work with, you know who I am, thanks for the great memories and I wish you all the very best. Thanks for the memories US Air.

Sadly probably one more guy/gal just trying to do the job but being restricted from doing that without the proper tools or support. Tailwinds and Blue Skies in your future endevours. A tip of the cap as i walk by... as i do for almost all of the USAIRWAYS employees i get to see.....

My best wishes to you all so. Life will now be better on the outside. Like some one else said do what you love
For now, I will also stick it out as I rode one other airline to the end. I don't feel it will be long. If just in my little corner of the world all the waste & lost money could be seen that management doesn't want to hear about you would know it can't be long. Again best of luck to you in all you do.

Wishing you nothing but the best buddy! I AS WELL was working that PHL-FCO flight the friday after 9/11 and I remember you well. I was flying B and I think we went with only 8 FAs on the A330. LOL! I had the pleasure of working with you on a few PHW trips and you were always so professional and courteous not only to the passengers but to your fellow employees. Again, best wishes to you! :D

I know you well, dear friend, and I just came to conclusion as to your handle on this board.

You are one of the finest individuals this company has ever had serve our passengers. Your dedication, empathy, and fine service will long be remembered by both your fellow flight attendants and past passengers.

You taught me much, and it was an honor to serve beside you. How sad to think that we began our careers together as flight attendants side-by-side, with so much optimism and spirit.

The pay decreases, work rule changes, and overall challenges this company has presented is something that I've learned to accept.

Losing you as a co-worker is by far the most disappointing result.

God speed and much love.

BT

BT: You say it all....you say it all. God speed and thank you and all the rest who have made a difference in our lives and in our careers here at U. It is the likes of usacrew3 that have kept me going and helped my spirits to remain aloft. Thank you all. :)

Latest posts