Kiosks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the whole purpose of (API OK) with a big circle around it. We have to check and double check the international customers. Lets make double work for everyone, ok? At least that way we'll LOOK busy. :blink: :rolleyes:

Do you really need to ask NOT ALLOW THE PASSENGERS TO CHECK IN THAT IS THE POINT of the process

The kiosk will also check in passengers using a passport card
The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. It cannot be used for international air travel.
Who fault is it if the kiosk CHECKS passengers in with wrong information provided by the passengers and the passengers ends up in a country illegally.
I’ll give you one guess

Thats why a document check is done at the gate... Covers the airline from people that enter wrong information, leave their passports at home (such as could happen if they did online check in), etc.

Thats the whole purpose of (API OK) with a big circle around it. We have to check and double check the international customers. Lets make double work for everyone, ok? At least that way we'll LOOK busy. :blink: :rolleyes:

This is a common practice of double checking international passengers at most domestic airlines. API OK refers that the required advance information has been captured but it does not necessarily mean that a passport has been presented. I can check in online, enter my information and the boarding pass will print API OK. So obviously this double check is needed.

Why are you trying to defend what is an obvious error in the computer systems? No one said that a double check of documents should not be done. But, that begs the question of why the kiosk allows someone to check-in with an expired passport. I bet it doesn't allow passengers to check in using an expired credit card.

Regardless of whether it is a passport, a driver's license, a credit card, or a library card, check in should NOT be allowed with an expired id. Period. Full stop. End of discussion. If nothing else, it is a security issue. The kiosk should not issue a boarding pass or anything that will get the person through the security portal unless a valid id has been presented.

I looked at a Passport today, psgr DID NOT know it expired Nov 09!
Luckily they Were not going Intl.

IT DEPT_IF U CAN READ THIS< please put a block on if they attempt to checkin using and expired passport.

Thats why a document check is done at the gate... Covers the airline from people that enter wrong information, leave their passports at home (such as could happen if they did online check in), etc.

This is a common practice of double checking international passengers at most domestic airlines. API OK refers that the required advance information has been captured but it does not necessarily mean that a passport has been presented. I can check in online, enter my information and the boarding pass will print API OK. So obviously this double check is needed.
NO advance information should be inputted by non-airline personal it opens the door for security and legal problems, fraud and misinformation. Once a human inputs the information that human should be held accountable .This use to be the case

Why are you trying to defend what is an obvious error in the computer systems? No one said that a double check of documents should not be done. But, that begs the question of why the kiosk allows someone to check-in with an expired passport. I bet it doesn't allow passengers to check in using an expired credit card.

Regardless of whether it is a passport, a driver's license, a credit card, or a library card, check in should NOT be allowed with an expired id. Period. Full stop. End of discussion. If nothing else, it is a security issue. The kiosk should not issue a boarding pass or anything that will get the person through the security portal unless a valid id has been presented.

US is not the only airline that has kiosks that will let somebody check in with an expired id or even an expired credit card thats because an ID that is expired in the eyes of the TSA is still considered a valid ID. I'm not 100% definite on the timeframe but an ID thats within 1 year past the expiration date is still considered valid. Just because your driver's license or passport has expired doesnt mean it cant still at least verify your identity which is what for security purposes is the biggest concern. I'm willing to bet the system doesnt distinguish between domestic and international for purposes of ID expiration since it is known a secondary check is done.

NO advance information should be inputted by non-airline personal it opens the door for security and legal problems, fraud and misinformation. Once a human inputs the information that human should be held accountable .This use to be the case

But its not the case anymore and I doubt it will ever be. How is it a security, legal or fraud issue by having a passenger enter their own information especially since it is verified by an airline employee? Misinformation is about the only problem that could occur and that would probably be more of a result of an error in typing, etc.

Thats what happening now. Passenger checks in and then the information is verified by a customer service agent at the gate. Whats the problem?

The information should be gathered received inputted and verified at the first point of contact with the passenger not after the completed check-in process
Pulling the cart before the horse
Again if a passenger is in a country without the right documents whose fault is it

The information should be gathered received inputted and verified at the first point of contact with the passenger not after the completed check-in process
Pulling the cart before the horse
Again if a passenger is in a country without the right documents whose fault is it

Doing it as you suggest would create an issue in terms of more traffic at the ticket counters because then people would not be able to use web check in, in many cases kiosks (since not all passport can scan properly), etc. Do you really want the ticket counters to be busier than they already are?

Also, even if things went as you suggested, the secondary check will never go away as its needed for more than just a double check of making sure that the information input is correct. This is also to ensure that the passenger has the documents on them (i.e. didnt forget them at home, didnt lose them between the ticket counter and the gate, etc.). The information not only has to be correct upon arrival but the passenger has to actually have the documents on them.

The airlines (not just US) do this to prevent the liability of transporting somebody to a country without the right documenation.

I think that people should be accountable for their own actions (or inactions, as the case may be). If you are traveling to a foreign country, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the necessary documents before you get to the airport, and that they are valid. That said, the airline which is transporting you to said country is the last line of defense, and should not issue you a boarding pass without first verifying that you have all required documentation to enter the country where the airline has contracted to transport you. This includes entry to countries where passports are invalid if they are less than six months away from their expiration dates.

If you show up at the airport without the required documentation, it is no longer the airline's problem, as long as you are still in the country of origin. On the other hand, if the airline issues boarding passes to passengers with expired passports, or invalid/no visas, it is absolutely the airline's problem if the passengers are turned away at Passport Control at the destination.

Fix the kiosks.

job security my friends!
I agree......SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......If management really catches on about all the kiosk misgivings, and actually fixes them, it might make the kiosk more productive... meaning less agents needed, and more bonuses for them.... :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back