"SWENSKA" language option on kiosks

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
It took a long time after the horrid switch from Sabre to QIK/SHARES, but the kiosks did finally get language options other than English/Spanish a while back. What's really cute is that the Swedish option is called SWENSKA. The Swedish word for "Swedish" is "Svenska". With a "v". Not a "w". Swedish ( svenska (help·info)) is a North Germanic language...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_language

No idea if the actual swedish used in the kiosk function is accurate or not. But it's pretty funny that they couldn't get the name of the language correct.

In the big scheme of things in US Airways AWA IT functions, not a big thing, really. But funny.

In addition to the current options of American, Espanish and Swenska, they should also add Germin, Franch and Japeneze.

They should also add Oregonian and Wisconsinish then since MFR (Medford) and MSN (Madison)currently require a passport to check in on the kiosk. Since most people traveling there arent traveling with their passport, they cant check in. Another thing for the kiosk agent to have to stop and do! :down:

On the good side, after reporting this for several months, I was notified this week that US will no longer require a passport for these cities after the August upload! :up:
Don't know what took so long since the whole idea behind having our own IT people was to get the system updated and changed asap.

As an afterthought.... does anyone know why when you type in ALB, you get the option to choose travel to Albany, Co and has anybody ever heard of Albany, Co? :shock:

They should also add Oregonian and Wisconsinish then since MFR (Medford) and MSN (Madison)currently require a passport to check in on the kiosk. Since most people traveling there arent traveling with their passport, they cant check in. Another thing for the kiosk agent to have to stop and do! :down:

On the good side, after reporting this for several months, I was notified this week that US will no longer require a passport for these cities after the August upload! :up:
Don't know what took so long since the whole idea behind having our own IT people was to get the system updated and changed asap.

As an afterthought.... does anyone know why when you type in ALB, you get the option to choose travel to Albany, Co and has anybody ever heard of Albany, Co? :shock:
HP/SHARES cease to amaze me
They think it’s normal

Does the kiosk still think that HEL is Helena, MT? Or was that usaiways.com?

There are some other kiosk glitches along the likes of Albany, CO. I think there was some confusion beween Sacramento and Stockton, IIRC. (Well they are both located in the Central Valley.)

Speaking of the August enhancements, I saw something about "minimum connecting time." Foolishly, I thought that this might have something to do with stopping QIK/SHARES (and its idiot cousin, the kiosk) from checking in a misconnection when the initial flight is delayed. No, it's about the system now checking for minimum scheduled scheduled connect time whn a PNR is being initially built.

Actually they did fix the problem of kiosk allowing checking in on a cancelled flight. So it really isn't all bad.

Also saw that you can choose a flight to Meigs Field in Chicago when you type in CHI on the kiosk! Has US/HP EVER served this airport? I remember back in the old Allegheny days one of the commuters did, but that was probably back before the programmers were even born so I'm surprised they ever heard of it! :p

"SWENSKA" is "ask news" backwards. Backwards and not making sense. Does that sound like the IT Department?

Also saw that you can choose a flight to Meigs Field in Chicago when you type in CHI on the kiosk! Has US/HP EVER served this airport? I remember back in the old Allegheny days one of the commuters did, but that was probably back before the programmers were even born so I'm surprised they ever heard of it! :p

Meigs Field was closed shortly after 9-11. If you're flying into Meigs these days, it better be a helicopter and you better be ready to go to jail....because the runways were torn up and it's now a city park of some sort.

Back