Kiosks

Status
Not open for further replies.
US is not the only airline that has kiosks that will let somebody check in with an expired id or even an expired credit card thats because an ID that is expired in the eyes of the TSA is still considered a valid ID. I'm not 100% definite on the timeframe but an ID thats within 1 year past the expiration date is still considered valid.

Turns out we are both somewhat correct. I emailed the TSA Information Center and asked if an expired photo id was acceptable. The first answer I got was a boilerplate response that told me what the TSA website already told me--that the photo id must have an expiration date.

I replied that I didn't wish to belabor the point, but the response did not answer my question--Is the photo id valid if the expiration date on it has passed? I stated in the reply that to me the question seemed to need only a yes or no answer.

I got another bunch of canned response from them, but in it I found the following..."If a passenger is unwilling, unable [to provide photo id], or has an expired ID (including passports, drivers licenses, etc.), the passenger is required to undergo additional screening before entering the boarding area. TSA will deny access to the secured area of the airport to any passenger who refuses to undergo the additional screening. "

What really surprised me about that answer is that a passenger can refuse to provide photo id.

And the TSA CAN refuse to allow them thru the security checkpoint if they wish.
Just like the signs say passengers are subject to security screeing, but may opt out. They just dont mention that opting out means you arent going.

The whole point of the kiosk/passport thing though isnt being allowed thru security with an expired passport, its being allowed into the country you are traveling to. When the kiosk scans the passport for initial id, it doesnt collect/store info, just uses the name to search for the record. Its the international customers that must input their passport info into their checkin record so we have a copy of their documentation to send when the intl flight leaves.

Dont think so.. Care to argue the point with the TSA??

Jim states he got this from the TSA.

..."If a passenger is unwilling, unable [to provide photo id], or has an expired ID (including passports, drivers licenses, etc.), the passenger is required to undergo additional screening before entering the boarding area. TSA will deny access to the secured area of the airport to any passenger who refuses to undergo the additional screening. "

From that statement an expired ID is the equivalent of no ID.

If I were privileged to divulge sensitive security information I could go in to more detail.

Jim states he got this from the TSA.

..."If a passenger is unwilling, unable [to provide photo id], or has an expired ID (including passports, drivers licenses, etc.), the passenger is required to undergo additional screening before entering the boarding area. TSA will deny access to the secured area of the airport to any passenger who refuses to undergo the additional screening. "

From that statement an expired ID is the equivalent of no ID.

If I were privileged to divulge sensitive security information I could go in to more detail.

I've been told a 3 different airports including from an FSD that I know that an expired drivers license or passport will be accepted as a valid form of ID for purposes of establishing identity and to allow access to clear the security check point. Also I called my FSD contact today and he said that as long as the expired ID is within 1 year after the expiration date than the passenger is treated as if the ID werent expired. If the ID is past that one year time frame then they go through the additional screening.

Also as a point of reference, expired IDs such as a passport are still valid in the eyes of the TSA and our government when it comes to establishing identity and citizenship for certain security programs as well as completing a basic I-9 form.

Government Issues IDs even when expired do still establish identity.

I've been told a 3 different airports including from an FSD that I know that an expired drivers license or passport will be accepted as a valid form of ID for purposes of establishing identity and to allow access to clear the security check point. Also I called my FSD contact today and he said that as long as the expired ID is within 1 year after the expiration date than the passenger is treated as if the ID werent expired. If the ID is past that one year time frame then they go through the additional screening.

Also as a point of reference, expired IDs such as a passport are still valid in the eyes of the TSA and our government when it comes to establishing identity and citizenship for certain security programs as well as completing a basic I-9 form.

Government Issues IDs even when expired do still establish identity.

TSA will allow travel with expired ID or no ID at all, if you pass their "test" and answer some questions to their satisfaction.

You called an FSD, on a Saturday asking them to settle an Interner forum dispute by giving you sensitive security information to post on a public forum?

Riiiight.

Tempe is never wrong, even when they are.

That info. is correct. If you have no id you can still pass but it will take longer while the idiots "do their thing".

You called an FSD, on a Saturday asking them to settle an Interner forum dispute by giving you sensitive security information to post on a public forum?

Riiiight.

Tempe is never wrong, even when they are.

Believe what you want, but you are the one that is wroooong.

Also, in this particular discussion (since we have strayed away from talking about kiosks) what does Tempe have to even do with it>

And if you have an expired ID it is the equivalent of no ID

Its been shown that this is not the case.

Have you been through GSC Training?

What should this matter?? You dont need GSC training to know whats a valid id..

If we have exhausted the kiosk discussion, the thread will be closed. Security issues should be discussed in the Aviation Chatter forum.

The same Tempe mindset making kiosks dysfunctional causes the problems to continue.

The problems are irrelevant and we have made up 'facts' to support that position. Learning about and understanding an issue is not necessary because the problems are irrelevant.

It is much simpler to fix the kiosks than it is to change the mindset.

It is much simpler to fix the kiosks than it is to change the mindset.

Actually, it would be much simpler if passengers would just take some responsibility to ensure that all of their documentation is in order before they get to the airport. But that's probably wishful thinking, huh? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back