LAA employees watch out for LUS gate agents

I've seen this crazy behavior from both AA and LUS. Actually they sent out messages to many stations telling them how to treat non revs. Especially in places like LAX where they would keep non revs off a flight that had plenty of seats. I don't understand it.

Reactions: 1 person
Colonel.Ramp said:
I've seen this crazy behavior from both AA and LUS. Actually they sent out messages to many stations telling them how to treat non revs. Especially in places like LAX where they would keep non revs off a flight that had plenty of seats. I don't understand it.
Bull crap, and just how do you know this?

Colonel.Ramp said:

Easy fix:

First offense: The agent, his/her supervisor, and the shift manager get a week off without pay.

Second offense: Same players get a month off without pay.

Third offense: Don't let the door hit them in the a** as they leave the company.

Of course the union would have to get involved in defending their employees, but the company would probably prevail eventually.  And if the company demonstrates their will to play hard ball no this, the problem would disappear anyway.

Not really.  It's hard to terminate people on the basis of "he said, she said."  The problem is that the aggrieved employee must prove what happened.  For those of us who have access to the computer, not so hard.  For those who must depend upon others for the information, harder.  A lot of the information about a flight is not retained for very long--such as the standby list.  Once the plane departs, the standby list is of no use to anyone except in a situation where the rules have been abused.  And that would require some prescience that an abuse had occurred.  The alternative would be to assume that abuses happen all the time and retain all information for some period of time.  Expensive and unwieldy process for a maybe.

jimntx said:
Expensive and unwieldy process for a maybe.

Really?  Computer memory is expensive?  An army of IT experts on staff and consulting would find keeping a tiny file for 180 days vs.10 days would find it unwieldy?  It really comes down to the company's commitment, or lack thereof, to their employees.  That has always been the case with employee perks, and even with labor contract abuse.  A lot of "pretty talk" about changing the culture with either no change, or worsening conditions.  The New AA will NEVER catch Delta due to a myriad of conditions like this that exist and will never be addressed.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not the cost of the storage or disk space that's the issue.  It's having people on the payroll who have to maintain the storage and write the programs to retrieve the data, etc. (And, yes I know they are not on the AA payroll, but we still have to pay to have them on the Sabre payroll.  Programming ain't complimentary.)  Now, as little as I've seen come out of Sabre lately that is of top programming quality, it seems that it would keep them off the streets and out of trouble, but the company insists they are just working their fingers to the bone.  In the meantime, I don't download anything written at Sabre to my personal electronic devices.

I spent over 20 years in IT.  When I started in the field, Sabre division of American Airlines was the gold standard for corporate programming.  Since they've been sold off, not so much.  We're experiencing what other companies back in the 90's experienced when they decided to "enhance shareholder value" by outsourcing all of their programming to India.  Sabre like the Indian companies is primarily interested in whether or not AA's last check cleared the bank.  There was a time when Sabre employees had a primary interest in the long-term survival of American Airlines because they worked for that company.  Not any more.

jimntx said:
It's not the cost of the storage or disk space that's the issue.  It's having people on the payroll who have to maintain the storage and write the programs to retrieve the data, etc. (And, yes I know they are not on the AA payroll, but we still have to pay to have them on the Sabre payroll.  Programming ain't complimentary.)  Now, as little as I've seen come out of Sabre lately that is of top programming quality, it seems that it would keep them off the streets and out of trouble, but the company insists they are just working their fingers to the bone.  In the meantime, I don't download anything written at Sabre to my personal electronic devices.

I spent over 20 years in IT.  When I started in the field, Sabre division of American Airlines was the gold standard for corporate programming.  Since they've been sold off, not so much.  We're experiencing what other companies back in the 90's experienced when they decided to "enhance shareholder value" by outsourcing all of their programming to India.  Sabre like the Indian companies is primarily interested in whether or not AA's last check cleared the bank.  There was a time when Sabre employees had a primary interest in the long-term survival of American Airlines because they worked for that company.  Not any more.

So, the point I am getting from your post is that the company should not be making any effort or spending any money to stop abuses.  Nice position.

Jeepney said:

So, the point I am getting from your post is that the company should not be making any effort or spending any money to stop abuses.  Nice position.
Well, you must be LUS with your penchant for trying to prove all LAA employees wrong.  No, I did not say that.  But, I just don't believe that abuses are happening with the frequency that you are suggesting to justify spending major money on them.  I know this will be hard for you to grasp, but LUS was not heaven on earth and perfection in the airline business.  And, that information comes from LUS employees who are friends of mine and who worked for US Airways in excess of 20 years.  I realize that a number of you are bent about the decision to go with the LAA way of handling non-rev travel--particularly those with over 30 years.  Well, I would just quit or retire if I were you.  Then they'll be sorry.  But, may I remind you that the thread started with a report of abuse committed by an LUS agent.  And, if you are going to stay around, I suggest you adapt to the new way of handling non-rev travel (First come, first served).  Hanging on to a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting it to kill the other guy.

Reactions: 11 people
jimntx said:
Well, you must be LUS with your penchant for trying to prove all LAA employees wrong.  No, I did not say that.  But, I just don't believe that abuses are happening with the frequency that you are suggesting to justify spending major money on them.  I know this will be hard for you to grasp, but LUS was not heaven on earth and perfection in the airline business.  And, that information comes from LUS employees who are friends of mine and who worked for US Airways in excess of 20 years.  I realize that a number of you are bent about the decision to go with the LAA way of handling non-rev travel--particularly those with over 30 years.  Well, I would just quit or retire if I were you.  Then they'll be sorry.  But, may I remind you that the thread started with a report of abuse committed by an LUS agent.  And, if you are going to stay around, I suggest you adapt to the new way of handling non-rev travel (First come, first served).  Hanging on to a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting it to kill the other guy.

Well, again you let everyone know, in no uncertain terms, just how full of yourself you are.

I recall when we (LUS) almost lost our Southwest Non Rev travel because the old LUS FA's where constantly arguing with SW agents in PIT to board them by seniority (I kid you not).

Reactions: 5 people
bob@las-AA said:
Bull crap, and just how do you know this?
What's builcrap about it? Personal experience and situations my co-workers have been in. If you haven't experienced it, how can you say otherwise?

Colonel.Ramp said:
What's builcrap about it? Personal experience and situations my co-workers have been in. If you haven't experienced it, how can you say otherwise?
Two sides to every story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth. I happen to travel quite a bit and had never encountered the crap describe here!

Latest posts