LABOR FRIENDLY ????

cat 111

Advanced
Aug 25, 2002
How would you feel if you showed up for work and was told to give up your badge and take your tool box home? Dave you have got some BALLS.

This, unfortunately, is the way MANY companies lay folks off. My company did it. Others I know have had it happen to them. And, all of these companies have never posted a quarterly loss and are still showing modest growth (though they probably would have posted losses if they had not downsized). The whole situation stinks. Every employee I've spoken to recently, though, still seems to understand Dave did not create this mess. He's doing his best to plug the holes in this sinking ship.

I think its time to play Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslett on the deck of the Titanic. The tail end is straight in the air and the ship is going down. Dave is just the last buffoon in a long line of charletans, crooks and plain out incompetant clowns.

Wolf and Gangwal, with the millions they're getting every month from us, are why we are where we are.

However, if Siegel really wants to change the culture and create an atmosphere of trust with management, he needs to fire the monkeys who orchestrated the blitzkreig on TPA last night. Showing up in the dead of the night with corporate security gestapo, telling you to get out with your stuff, is no way to win trust of your employees. Especially when you've been promising that they'd still be working, up until two weeks ago. Then, when stuff starts to happen, you deny it - until the calvary rides at 3:00 AM to deliver a thanksgiving wish. This is the same old crap we've seen over and over again.

If they needed to close Tampa, why didn't they call everyone in and make a sensible announcement a month ago. Let families think about their options, etc. Dumping this discision on them the week of Thanksgiving and in the middle of the night was completely uncalled for.

From what I'm told, the Tampa news media raked US Airways over the coals for the timing of the layoffs. That is a beautiful thing. I just wish I'd been there to say my bit to the press....Seeing how the company lied to the employees here and showed up in the middle of the night and shut the place down with no notice, how do we know that they won't do it to our customers too? If you're considering holiday travel, I'd not take your chances with US Air this season. You might show up, like us, and find out that the lights are turned off and no one is home. They promised you that everything would run fine, but they promised us that work was coming in here, too.

I'm sure it was done as a safety precaution, not that it was the right way to do things...but when has management ever done anything the right way?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/27/2002 12:43:30 AM Res wrote:

I'm sure it was done as a safety precaution, not that it was the right way to do things...but when has management ever done anything the right way?
----------------
[/blockquote]

I would assume that Res is from reservations. I'm a mechanic. Yet we and our co-workers have come to the same conclusions but when has management ever done anything the right way?.

I was hopeful (and still am) that Mr. Seigel is of a different ilk than our past management. I believe the problem is that he has been incompetent at cleaning out the pack of Keystone Cops that continue to make the daily decisions. None of us trust middle, and upper middle, management to be competant at their jobs. Yet they get bonuses and we get chopped.

Dave, fix the problem empires we have in middle management, and then us worker bees will believe that you really want this company to survive.

Here's an example, posted from a different Message Board:

And speaking of clt you guys there better watch out because the pit union big wigs have an arsenal of tricks up there sleeves for putting all the airbus work in pit. There has been several secret meetings with the company and local officials to get that work.

Who IS running this company?

PineyBob

Back room deals are the reason this company is about to destroy itself.

Once again (and probably for the last time) US Airways is retreating out of Florida. Why? Because a bunch of favor mongers have decided that their little domain will be the last to fall.

This division within the company is what is killing us. We, who used to be Piedmont and PSA, have only one goal in mind, fly our passengers quickly, safely, and happily. Our unwillingness to participate in the sectarian infighting has caused our goals to be raped and discarded.

Furthermore, we refuse to lower ourselves to this level of politics. We are to busy trying to serve our customers. If this inter-department infighting is the true corporate culture of usAir, then most of us will be happier being laid-off.

Things like this are acts of desperation from a company looking to quickly cut costs to keep operating.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/27/2002 1:31:08 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

Things like this are acts of desperation from a company looking to quickly cut costs to keep operating.
----------------
[/blockquote]
UAL777Flyer...I agree Sir!! but I don't think we are the only ones going into the balls path in the batting cage without a bat in hand either.

The fun hasn't even started at UA yet...and I do believe our combined circumstances is going to have a profound and lasting impact on shaping this industry as a whole...for many many years to come.

It's amazing how bad momentum picks up speed faster than the good...and the bad tends to last longer , well until it can't last anymore. That's the million dollar question...when and where is the physical and financial breaking point for this situation?

Who's going to say Uncle?...I think the employee's are beginning to bristle to the point that Dave may have to throw in the towel...His latest stunt has sealed his position for the worst with alot of people..and that is not easily reversed or forgiven.

What he presented himself to be..and what he has turned out to be , are two entirely different animals...The Sheep has become yet another Wolf!.

IMHO They can stick any future olive branches they may extend..where the sun don't shine!![img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/7.gif']

Call it what you may, but this whole thing S**KS Big time. When they closed the ROA & INT Hangers it had a major effect on the operation months down the road, it will happen again. Dave, your timing stinks. Lets close down Crystal City with its big rent and move to the Hills of PA. If the company wanted to save money there are numerous places to save it but Dave and the boys just would rather screw the employees then do something smart.

AOG-N-IT,

I completely agree. Trust me, I know that my company is following the exact same doomsday path as US. Only we still have many in denial over it. I keep hoping our folks will learn from what your airline is going through. Only time will tell.

This industry is on a collision course the likes of which have never been seen. The only event that comes close is de-regulation, which forced all airlines to compete against one another. The industry adapted from that for the most part and moved on. The next true test is upon us. When the dust settles, who knows the airlines that wil be left standing.