Laid off mechanic what jobs are out there

Lots of work for diesel mechanics right now.... Trucking is going gangbusters.

Railroad locomotive engineer, conductor, electrician, diesel mechanic and freight car repair (car man) they also hire management from Airlines

Railroads are laying off too right now. Union Pacific just shut down their locomotive overhaul facility in LIT and they've closed a dozen or so sorting yards in the past year. Thousands of locomotives in storage.

Are you an A&P, Ground MX or Building MX? Are you at AA? If you are at AA you have a job until Oct 1 for sure, if your an A&P there is a ton of work and will be even more as aircraft get returned to service.

Reactions: Kev3188
Lots of work for diesel mechanics right now.... Trucking is going gangbusters.
Maybe some companies are. My cousin works in payroll for a trucking company and I was told they had few loads due to all the factories and stores being shut down.

Probably being laid off what kinda of jobs will there be for us
Look, you have training in electrical, diesel, pneumatics, hydraulics, sheet metal, composites, and maybe a few other things I am missing. That set of skills should open a LOT of doors for you. Start with what do YOU want to do with the technical skills you have available. Just know you are unlikely to make American Airlines money and set reasonable expectations and I am sure you will do fine.

I remember, after 9-11 layoffs and rifs, hearing of mechanics going to Verizon to work on their communications towers and other big maintenance and repair items. And I even think they paid an A&P pretty well as they know how well they are trained and experienced.

Look, you have training in electrical, diesel, pneumatics, hydraulics, sheet metal, composites, and maybe a few other things I am missing. That set of skills should open a LOT of doors for you. Start with what do YOU want to do with the technical skills you have available.

+1

Also, ask several of your friends what they think you're good at (or known for). The answers might surprise you and might also steer you in a direction you never thought of. I know it sounds awkward-'cause it is-but I'm being dead serious here.

I remember, after 9-11 layoffs and rifs, hearing of mechanics going to Verizon to work on their communications towers and other big maintenance and repair items. And I even think they paid an A&P pretty well as they know how well they are trained and experienced.
Good answer! I would have never thought of that.

Reactions: swamt