Laid off mechanic what jobs are out there

Sorry post was for what kinda of jobs are going to be out there for laid off a and p mechs

Deadsnake, With your A&P you should have many opportunities outside of the aircraft industry. Disney, Universal, Movie studios, think outside the box. Mechanics with good trouble shooting skills, avionics experience, sheet metal, Hotbond. Don't limit yourself.

Good answer! I would have never thought of that.
Deadsnake, and others; Also just remembered a convo. with my dentist. Yea, Dentist and Dr's need extremely highly trained professionals to maintain, repair and replace their Dental and Dr. tools. My dentist told me a while back that she contracted her neighbor A&P mechanic to maintain her dental air tools, repair them and replace them when needed, as well as just general maintenance for long term trouble free operations, you know prevent maint. She also told me that some of her colleagues also said they too contract out to A&P's who run a side bus as a mobile maint and repairman that will travel around to many dentist and work out of a work van and or take some home to work and return to their business. If your laid off you could really run with it as a full time business. She did say she pays good money to maintain her equipment in tip-top condition, do to health conditions since dealing with so many mouths.
Keep throwing ideas around guys. It's good to discuss our options as A&P's. There is a large number of areas that most of folks just don't think about. Just as AMFAinMIAMI just posted, the big parks that need all there roller coasters, parachute rides, and of coarse the people carriers like at ski resorts ans also inside some really large parks.

I created an account just so I can tell you there are plenty of jobs outside aviation that will pay out (eventually) as much, if not more, than what youre making now.

Your skills are highly transferable but if you stay in a technical support role, you have a lot to learn! Boeings are not that sophisticated.

Aircraft havnt changed much in decades and your skills are too specialized. You will pay your dues for the first three to five years.

Technology changes rapidly. Where I work, we toss equipment after 7-8 yrs because they become obsolete and unsupported. You will learn a lot.

I left Delta in ‘94 and took a 50% pay cut. A humbling experience but after three years, I was made up that 50% loss. But it was challenging and sometimes painful.

My career wasnt stable. companys fail or get bought out. But my confidence was always high. After the first job, I brought something to the table. I changed jobs @every 8 yrs. I’m on my third employer and hopefully, this will be my forever job. So far, 12 yrs. But, if I lost it, I know it can be replaced. That was the biggest reward- gaining confidence.

My advice to you is to look at pharmaceuticals/ biotech. Find a small to medium start up. Because1) the entrepenuers at these companies tend to be uber cool and generous. 2) they give out stock options which can be lucrative 3) annual bonuses are high. Cash bonuses of 20% annual salary is common. They usually have one shift, M-F and no holidays.

Keep a good attitude. Always learn. Promotions are easier than at airlines so go after them. Seniority takes back seat to competence. Take on roles supervising- highly desireable when looking for next job. 26 years from now, you will look back at your airline experience and realize it probably wasnt a good one.

Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: Rogallo and swamt
Your skills are highly transferable but if you stay in a technical support role, you have a lot to learn! Boeings are not that sophisticated.

Where I work, we toss equipment after 7-8 yrs because they become obsolete and unsupported. You will learn a lot.
I am curious as to what you do.
I left Delta in ‘94 and took a 50% pay cut. A humbling experience but after three years, I was made up that 50% loss. But it was challenging and sometimes painful.
I left American Airlines in 2012 and had about the same experience. Though I was in Fleet Service not a mechanic. I went into computer networking.
My advice to you is to look at pharmaceuticals/ biotech. Find a small to medium start up. Because1) the entrepenuers at these companies tend to be uber cool and generous. 2) they give out stock options which can be lucrative 3) annual bonuses are high. Cash bonuses of 20% annual salary is common. They usually have one shift, M-F and no holidays.
Good advice.
Promotions are easier than at airlines so go after them. Seniority takes back seat to competence.
These guys are not receptive at all to anyone criticizing the seniority system, flawed as it is.
26 years from now, you will look back at your airline experience and realize it probably wasnt a good one.
Did not take me nearly that long.

We seem to have a lot in common Slamdunk. I know you said you created an account just to make that post but I hope to see you around.

Saw this on LinkedIn.

Marillyn Hewson

• 1 month ago
    The Lockheed Martin team continues to take concrete steps to aid the national and global #COVID19 relief effort. Below, we’ve outlined our additional measures to support our employees, vulnerable companies, and the medical community during this time of need.

-1,000 new hires in the last two weeks & advertising more than 5,000 open jobs
    -Committing $50 million for a total of $100 million to support small businesses and our supply chain to sustain jobs
    -Donating personal protective equipment (PPE) for urgent need at local hospitals
    -Committing $2 million to FEMA for PPE supplies and medical devices

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.54.48 PM.png

Reactions: swamt

Latest posts