Latest name addition to the CEO rumors

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I hope it's not carly. I respect her and it would be nice to have a woman at the helm...but why would she jump the HP ship? If she did...in my mind it would mean that things are nasty on the horizon there. Also...the ceo of compaq has long been rumored to take the helm if carly screws up. With hp's largely positive earnings yesterday...it just wouldn't make sense.

I still think they won't announce anything until they get feedback on concessions. Just my two cents.

Have a good day!

It seems that every couple of days, a new name is added to the list of potential UA CEO''s being rumored. The latest is Carly Fiorina of Hewlett-Packard. If this is true, I think she''d dramatically shake things up here in terms of rooting out the "old school" mentality that is so heavily entrenched, especially in UA''s middle and upper level management ranks.
Again, there are some indications a CEO announcement could come as early as today. I sure hope so!

Carly stirred up a hornet's nest at H-P. What background in aviation does she possess?

Why not Mary Schiavo? She's a pilot and totally non-controversial.

----------------
On 8/28/2002 1:19:23 PM

Ok, buckle up because the rumors are coming in fast and furious. Apparently there is a BOD meeting at the ORD Hyatt today. It may even have already concluded. Also, a special NewsReal is rumored to be coming out in the next couple of hours that will announce the new CEO, as well as the resignations of Rono Dutt and Andy Studdert. Greenwald would potentially come back as Chairman of the BOD. Jake Brace would be elevated to Chief Operating Officer. The bigger question is who becomes President and CEO. In addition to Carly Fiorina's name being circulated, John Walker, CEO of Weirton Steel and presently on our BOD is also being rumored to get the job. Stay tuned folks.
----------------

Could be, but I'd expect the announcement to come after the closing bell, JMHO

Ok, buckle up because the rumors are coming in fast and furious. Apparently there is a BOD meeting at the ORD Hyatt today. It may even have already concluded. Also, a special NewsReal is rumored to be coming out in the next couple of hours that will announce the new CEO, as well as the resignations of Rono Dutt and Andy Studdert. Greenwald would potentially come back as Chairman of the BOD. Jake Brace would be elevated to Chief Operating Officer. The bigger question is who becomes President and CEO. In addition to Carly Fiorina's name being circulated, John Walker, CEO of Weirton Steel and presently on our BOD is also being rumored to get the job. Stay tuned folks.

WHY would Carly want to come to an airline? She worked at AT&T and now HP, she has no airline experience. HP just took over Compaq and reported decent earnings, her reputation is being made Golden at HP. UAL requires a financial expert like Louis Gerstner, former CEO of IBM. He saved IBM from oblivion and he or someone who is a financial engineer is what UAL needs.

----------------
On 8/28/2002 12:19:39 PM

Crazy Mary Schiavo? No thanks.
----------------

Didn't she express concern about DAL in her book because the jets started to smell like "curry" or some other spice?

Doodoo and Stupert gone. YAY YES OH YEAH. Nice thought even though not factual. As for anyone aside from Brenneman's that is not good.

UAL24,

My mistake. I misunderstood your comments. I thought you were alluding to some possible ALPA intel that indicated the Dynamic Duo might not be departing.

I agree about it not being fact yet. I've been hearing these rumors for the last several weeks. So who knows if today will be any different. However, I have a hunch that something is going to happen this week besides just the new paycut proposals.

Sorry UAL777,

I am firmly convinced they will be gone if we get a new CEO before BK. I was just sharing my joy at the mere thought of them being gone. Hasn't been announced so it is not fact yet. That was all I meant. Can't believe until I see. Clicking my heels now.

by JFK777

WHY would Carly want to come to an airline? HP just took over Compaq and reported decent earnings, her reputation is being made Golden at HP.

Oh really?? Today's paper reports that for the latest quarter ending 7/31, HP LOST OVER $2 BILLION!!!

She's been a disaster and so was the ill conceived Compaq merger. Take a look at HP stock since Carly arrived -- one direction -- south.

Are you a bean counter for UAL?[:bigsmile:]

Marky

PS -- My choice, though he's getting up there in years, would be the great Lee Iacocca. One of my heros.

----------------
On 8/28/2002 4:20:20 PM

Mr Marky:

If you would read the article about HP's earning fully...you'd see that the 2 billion loss was all related to the merger's close. These were one-time fees. Had these not been incurred, they would have made money.

Analysts and the street have greeted the news positively. I don't want Carly and don't believe this rumor.

As for mr. buy a chrysler...forget it! He's not the genious everyone thinks he is. Lutz was the brains behind chrysler when lee was there. Remember the botched takeover in the 90's? His reputation has never fully recovered.

----------------

Much like Greg B was the brains behind Bethune. We need a real leader not a fanciful or second choice individual to lead this company for many years. Not just 2 years or less. More importantly if we are to avoid BK and receive financial support from "Wall Street" we need an individual selected that portrays confidence and direction for UAL. My2cents. UAL 777 I did hear recently that Greenwald was coming back in some capacity butthey did not go any deeper than that.

Mr Marky:

If you would read the article about HP's earning fully...you'd see that the 2 billion loss was all related to the merger's close. These were one-time fees. Had these not been incurred, they would have made money.

Analysts and the street have greeted the news positively. I don't want Carly and don't believe this rumor.

As for mr. buy a chrysler...forget it! He's not the genious everyone thinks he is. Lutz was the brains behind chrysler when lee was there. Remember the botched takeover in the 90's? His reputation has never fully recovered.