Lax

Aug 12, 2004
This is my first post, so go easy on me. Also, I don't work for any airline, but I do fly AA quite a bit.

I was happy to see that AA will be starting non-stop service to Costa Rica (again?). I was also reading on these boards that they would like to start a 2nd NRT flight and another LHR flight. These are all great for us Angelenos who fly AA. However, I was at LAX a few times in August and noticed that all of the gates were full all of the time. How can they add these flights with such a small number of gates? Doesn't there come a point where there just isn't any room to pull up another plane? While the T-3 era was certainly inconvenient (that place needs a good fire, let me tell you!), there was certainly a great deal more gates to work with. Any thoughts?

One more question: who does one talk to about getting a flight from Burbank to ORD? 4 flights to DFW is nice, but if you have to go to the upper Midwest/NE, Texas is a bit out of the way.

Thanks.

Steve

Platinum Steve said:
"This is my first post, so go easy on me. Also, I don't work for any airline, but I do fly AA quite a bit."

I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I wanted to say thanks for flying on American. We do appreciate your patronage. And believe me, we know that our passengers, especially repeat passengers, pay our salaries. We wouldn't be here without you.

From history when American needs more gates, they do a couple of things that I know of (there are probably a lot more and I hope some of our employees with more knowledge in this area will respond. One way AAL deals with more flights into a city and the need for more gate space is to juggle the schedules around. Another thing AAL does (if they can) is build more gates or rent space from other carriers.

I hope someone else will help out with this part, but I am sure that AAL does feasibility tests on routes and studies whether it would be profitable. (Now this is tricky because those of us on the line have seen flights canceled into destinations that were always full...we can't always figure it out...maybe there wasn't enough freight.) But, I would suggest many phone calls and letters to our CEO and the Burbank station manager requesting flights. At least that raises their awareness. And I dare say, AAL listens more to the customer than they do to their own employees.

Once again, thank you for flying American.

Terry
AAL Flight Attendant

BUR only has 4 flights because it is completely outsourced, no AA employees work there so writing the station GM won't do you any good. Per various contracts AA can only fly 4 flights a day to an outsourced airport. BUR is a low yield market and given the fact that the FAA is forcing AA to limit its flights from ORD, I doubt you will see an ORD-BUR flight.

Oneflyer said:
BUR only has 4 flights because it is completely outsourced, no AA employees work there so writing the station GM won't do you any good. Per various contracts AA can only fly 4 flights a day to an outsourced airport. BUR is a low yield market and given the fact that the FAA is forcing AA to limit its flights from ORD, I doubt you will see an ORD-BUR flight.
[post="174985"][/post]​
ONEFLYER Who do you work for? Get your facts straight. "only 4 flights a day to an outsourced airport". WRONGO... That is hearsay. Talk to a TWU rep to get the facts straight. Station staffing is dependent upon agreement of both parties ie, mgnt and union. There is no set number flights necessary. Under the last contract it was 15 operations for a return to station staffing and 25 for a new station not previously served by AA. This does not include AE ops.

DFWCC said:
ONEFLYER Who do you work for?
[post="175066"][/post]​

He/She actually works for AA, as in AA Management. No wonder why this company is so disfunctional. We have management that don't know what they're talking about. :lol:

ONEFLYER Who do you work for? Get your facts straight. "only 4 flights a day to an outsourced airport". WRONGO... That is hearsay. Talk to a TWU rep to get the facts straight. Station staffing is dependent upon agreement of both parties ie, mgnt and union. There is no set number flights necessary. Under the last contract it was 15 operations for a return to station staffing and 25 for a new station not previously served by AA. This does not include AE ops.

No Offense, but if there wasn't a set number then every outstation in the entire system would be outsourced.

I will go look it up and if you're right I'll be happy to tell you I was wrong, but from what I understand completely outsourced cities are limited to 4 flights a day, AE excluded, while cities with an AA agent only staff, no TWU ramp, are limited to 7? 7.5? flights a day averaged over the entire year. This is how AA schedules, maybe all of capacity planning misunderstands the various contracts but I doubt it.

Examples of completely outsourced cities are BUR, PSP, FAT, none with more than 4 flights a day. Ramp outsourced RNO, OAK, ONT, none with more than 7 (yearly average). PDX, TUS, SLC, all have ramp but barely over the 7 flights a day average.

Speaking of LAX. Did anyone hear about the explosion at LAX airport the Bradley Terminal. Early reports that a flashlight exploded injuring 7 people and that there was 2 security breaches.

crew4aa said:
Speaking of LAX. Did anyone hear about the explosion at LAX airport the Bradley Terminal. Early reports that a flashlight exploded injuring 7 people and that there was 2 security breaches.
[post="176039"][/post]​

LAX Reopens After Two Seperate Security Scares

POSTED: 9:22 am PDT September 4, 2004
UPDATED: 2:34 pm PDT September 4, 2004
LOS ANGELES -- Four terminals at Los Angeles International Airport were shut down for more than three hours early Saturday after a passenger bypassed security at one terminal and a flashlight battery exploded during screening at another, authorities said.

LAX- Two seperate security scares

Latest posts

Back