Doc

Veteran
Jul 15, 2003
Flt 877 8:00am departure BOS SXM this is a direct flt. stop in CLT
Flight departs 7:57
get deiced sits for a while takes off 9:18
arrives in CLT 11:33
all connections at 11:30.....GCM MBJ SJO PUJ and others
and believe it or not 877 departs CLT on time to SXM and leaves behind all including the SXM thru psgrs from BOS
all connecting psgrs in the 11:30 bank were left.

TELL ME IS ON TIME THIS IMPORTANT

ALL PSGRS REBOOKED FOR THE FOLLOWING DAY.................

TELL ME IS ON TIME THIS IMPORTANT

Probably had some numbskull at the helm who felt that customers were nothing but a bunch of worthless, freebie-seeking moochers who didn't matter to the company's bottom line, and that he was going to push on-time no matter what so he could get to SXM and tend to his suntan.

After all, the kind of people who pay $198 to fly to SXM should relish a night at the Ramada Inn with a voucher for a free plate of wings at Ramona's House-o-Has-Been-Hotties next door, right?

People want ontime. Ontime. ONTIME! I know for a fact that UA did the same thing the other day on a flight from ORD to SJU. The airlines are scrambling to improve stats, and unfortunately, on time performance is the #1 priority for passengers.

Ugly, ain't it?

My question would be was the aircraft flying as Flt 877 from BOS-CLT in some way broken or carrying any MEL's that were going to force it to have an unscheduled swap in CLT anyway? If this was the case I can understand it, but the folks boarding in BOS should have been aware of the situation and provided an option other than a "free" night in CLT.

If the aircraft was not headed for a hanger then this decision sucked.

No OTP is not the only factor.
OPS will hold for connecting passengers especially if it is the last opportunity of the day. A team that includes, Dispatch, MOC, Routers and a Customer Service MGR make that decision and weigh many factors. Crew Times, WX, even Routing could be an issue. That A/C could have drop-dead MX issue that has to be performed that night and if delaying the flight could cause an interruption to that routing (Maybe missing a later connecting crew or curfew) could cause the Aircraft to sit. It could be an issue on another Aircraft that is affecting this one. The possibilities and permutations are really mind-boggling in a big Airline network. That is why the later in the day it is always more difficult to recover from any operating issue. At the end of the day every A/C and every Crew has to be where they are supposed to be or we are starting the next day with issues.
I know on all carriers the passengers always think it is a matter of just not caring. I think the industry does a poor job of really explaining how things work is most of the problem.

Just like a PAX bill of rights, which would certainly cause more harm then good. For example if after a few hour on the tarmac we would have to go back to the gates they might end up canceling the flight because of the government rules. Re-Book everyone for the next day and then still have to fly an empty plane to the destination to get the aircraft and crew in position. None of this is easy and the US Airlines do a remarkable job, they are just lousy at marketing…

This little incident didnt stop in CLT. It continued on. (The gift that keeps on giving). Someone in CLT rebooked people to another city conx to AA to MIA and KX to GCM. Then, CLT gets hit by weather and takes another delay causing misconx in next city. Now we have the people and they are advising us that someone in CLT advised we'd give them a hotel. No, it was weather, and weather. Well, it gets better since AA had a maint and they would have made the conx, only to have AA canx after all this. Please see AA for your hotel since it is now a maint canx on them. Other customers decided to go back to CLT tomorrow to try to connect to AUA. So, CLT, get ready to see them again tomorrow!!!!! :p

This little incident didnt stop in CLT. It continued on. (The gift that keeps on giving). Someone in CLT rebooked people to another city conx to AA to MIA and KX to GCM. Then, CLT gets hit by weather and takes another delay causing misconx in next city. Now we have the people and they are advising us that someone in CLT advised we'd give them a hotel. No, it was weather, and weather. Well, it gets better since AA had a maint and they would have made the conx, only to have AA canx after all this. Please see AA for your hotel since it is now a maint canx on them. Other customers decided to go back to CLT tomorrow to try to connect to AUA. So, CLT, get ready to see them again tomorrow!!!!! :p

It'll be interesting to see what happens when complaints start to get filed. There's always an effort to make it out to be the other guy's fault. If the customer writes US, and the letter has an inkling of "AA canceled," US will try to ship it off to AA as their problem. And vice versa. And the poor customer will be stuck in the middle.

That wasn't supposed to happen in the old East Consumer Affairs department, but it did if the letter fell into the wrong rep's work queue. It'll be interesting to see what Tempe does with it.

And when it gets to DOT, the DOT will code based on the "passenger's perception" of which carrier was ultimately at fault here, regardless. Nevertheless, the people at US and AA who are responsible for this will likely try to volley the complaints back and forth to see if they can get them to stick on the other person's ranking.

No OTP is not the only factor.
OPS will hold for connecting passengers especially if it is the last opportunity of the day. A team that includes, Dispatch, MOC, Routers and a Customer Service MGR make that decision and weigh many factors. Crew Times, WX, even Routing could be an issue. That A/C could have drop-dead MX issue that has to be performed that night and if delaying the flight could cause an interruption to that routing (Maybe missing a later connecting crew or curfew) could cause the Aircraft to sit. It could be an issue on another Aircraft that is affecting this one. The possibilities and permutations are really mind-boggling in a big Airline network. That is why the later in the day it is always more difficult to recover from any operating issue. At the end of the day every A/C and every Crew has to be where they are supposed to be or we are starting the next day with issues.

And a company driving a one car funeral procession the wrong way down a one-way street and turning into a dead end would get all of this right?

I don't know if this helps. 877 was scheduled with a 7W5 (over water) BOS-CLT but flown with 757 tail #937. 877 CLT-SXM was flown with 7W5 tail #916. Also the the crews were on two different trips the SXM being an island turn with a 11hr. duty day.

I don't know if this helps. 877 was scheduled with a 7W5 (over water) BOS-CLT but flown with 757 tail #937. 877 CLT-SXM was flown with 7W5 tail #916. Also the the crews were on two different trips the SXM being an island turn with a 11hr. duty day.

So if I understand what you are saying, it was known ahead of time that the thru passengers would need to change aircraft in CLT. It was also known that there would be likely be a departure delay due to de-icing. So I am going to make a guess here that the flight CLT-SXM was oversold and that the oversell was temporarily solved by filling the plane and departing three minutes before the thru passengers landed, thereby not having to take any invols.

I'm sorry but they could have held SXM for 20 minutes to get the connections even if it was a quick turn (1:08) in SXM. They could have cut it to a 48 minute turn. So I suspect that overbookings were the reason to close and go.

Back