Letter To Dave Siegel From Afa

US f/a's were able to "Pass" on a reserve assignment?!? :shock: Wow!!! I wish we could have done that when I was on reserve. I am not sure, but I don't believe any other airlines allow passing. (Would have been nice though) We did whatever trip they told us to do and then reported back to the crew desk at completion to see if they were going to reassign us again.

Fly said:
US f/a's were able to "Pass" on a reserve assignment?!? :shock: Wow!!! I wish we could have done that when I was on reserve. I am not sure, but I don't believe any other airlines allow passing. (Would have been nice though) We did whatever trip they told us to do and then reported back to the crew desk at completion to see if they were going to reassign us again.
Fly...
Not exactly. With the old reserve system, when scheduling called we were given a choice of trips if available (just like now) however, we were allowed to pass for an am/pm departure, trip completed by a certain time, or whether we wanted a 1-4 day trip. Was quite good if the coverage was available to allow the passing. :D

However, if scheduling was "assigning" trips, then we could not pass. We had to take the trip that was being offered. The assignment of trips mainly occured during the end of the month or around holiday times.

It was a great system in my opinion. I for one don't like the early morning trips, give me just about ANY afternoon departure and I'm happy! Were we spoiled?...nahhhh... It was a great system that was negotiated for us. I for one, will definetly miss the flexibility it gave us being on reserve. :(

Fly-
When I was first flying I lived with six FAs from your airline. They would think I was joking when scheduling would call and say "What would you like to do tommorrow?" I'd say "I'll pass for a 757 three-day, afternoon departure" and hang up- then UAL crew desk (is it really a desk?) would call at all hours of the night for my roomates and give them four hours to get to the airport, work a flight and find out whats next when you get there. :eek: No fun!

The one thing about it that made a difference though, I loved my airline and the people I worked with... my roomates hated their company, scheduling, other FAs, the pilots, thier union by thier first year. I dont know if because its a bigger company its hip to act all above it all, or if this group just had bad attitudes, but I always though that if thier reserve sytem was better or if they stuck with the same crew for an entire trip they might enjoy it more.

PineyBob said:
Doc said:
Hey Bob, Man can you open a can of worms.
F/A'S........ ARE ALSO THERE JUST IN CASE.....

DO YOU THINK THEY ARE THERE FOR JUST YOU ...

YOU HAVE LOST ALL MY RESPECT FOR ANY OF YOUR FUTURE POST

KNUCKLE HEAD
OH Really? Just in case of what? A crash in which case we are all shark food.

Of course they know CPR and advanced life saving for the very very rare time when it is needed.

But the net net defacto way in which we as customers interact with F/A's is for more of a customer convenience situation. Part of the reason F/A's don't make $8.00/hr. is the training they recieve on the above mentioned skills.

I was/am not tryig to degrade the craft, but rather put it into perspective.
You did degrade the profession no question about it. And yes in the event of a crash and maybe you do survive then who drags your %$%^$^%$ out.
How dare you question anybody elses profession let alone a F/A's post 9/11.
The again I'm sure you would have stood right up and taken anyone of their places
:eek: :eek:
By the way I am not a F/A but I do respect what they do. Just for the record when they go out on a 3 day trip they are gone from their families for 3 days but are only paid for 12 to 14 hours... should I do the math for you gone 72 hours paid for 12.
let alone what the pressure effect has on their bodies

This conversation is gross..................................

Light Years said:
The one thing about it that made a difference though, I loved my airline and the people I worked with... my roomates hated their company, scheduling, other FAs, the pilots, thier union by thier first year. I dont know if because its a bigger company its hip to act all above it all, or if this group just had bad attitudes, but I always though that if thier reserve sytem was better or if they stuck with the same crew for an entire trip they might enjoy it more.
I dunno, Light Years...

After following the posts here for the past couple of years, compared to the activity on the UA board, it seems like U employees hate their management, scheduling, union, and co-workers at LEAST as much as at UAL.

Bear,

Again, I'm talking about a group of people I lived with, I certainly dont think everyone at UAL is like that.

I think the overwhelming majority of us here at U see that our current management is awful. However, I cant think of any posts where it comes off that we hate our company, especially our co-workers- you may see minor disagreements but this group stands together... I was laid off and I still love US Airways. I have worked at several airlines, and can honestly say that I've never worked with a more professional or enjoyable group of people. If the doors close tomorrow, thats what I'll take from it.

I'm sure there are some U employees who do hate it all. But I think most of us who spend time on here under anonymous names posting concerns, criticizm and ideas do so because they do care- more than they might admit. I think the same is true for United and any other airline. Luck to us all.

PineyBob said:
Doc said:
Hey Bob, Man can you open a can of worms.
F/A'S........ ARE ALSO THERE JUST IN CASE.....

DO YOU THINK THEY ARE THERE FOR JUST YOU ...

YOU HAVE LOST ALL MY RESPECT FOR ANY OF YOUR FUTURE POST

KNUCKLE HEAD
OH Really? Just in case of what? A crash in which case we are all shark food.

Of course they know CPR and advanced life saving for the very very rare time when it is needed.

But the net net defacto way in which we as customers interact with F/A's is for more of a customer convenience situation. Part of the reason F/A's don't make $8.00/hr. is the training they recieve on the above mentioned skills.

I was/am not tryig to degrade the craft, but rather put it into perspective.
Piney,
It happens much more than you think.

Bob,

Put what in prospective? Our value? Do you have any clue of our training? Skill? Talent? Experience in dealing with different customers, crews every single day, in every situation imaginable? Those who are physically ill or physically challenged, mentally ill, emotionally ill who fly and suffer an event in-flight? Do you have any idea how many passengers suffer heart attacks, seisures, loss of consciousness in flight that flight attendants have to deal with? Do you have any idea how many emergency situations occur daily throughout the world on airplanes and how fast the "reaction time" is, or takes, to make it uneventful? Do you have any idea the risks that are taken by crew members?

In your zeal to make your point, you just showed your covert disregard in seeing true, meaninful value in what we provide and do in our profession besides provide a drink and hellos.

Lindy,

Thanks for posting the disqualifying list of meds for folks who take prescriptive psychotropic medication.

There were two f/as denied medical leave of absence by U's MMS medical managment dept. for Major depression just today and one was taken off because the illness didn't "fit" the MMS criteria for leave, inspite of Doctor's medical documentation.

I think AFA will be able to use your information to make the case, if your argument above will hold any water.

Kudos. :up: Love ya, mean it.

Go PitBull,

I think you'll find that the "sources" quoted by Lindy:

Cover FAA supervisors and FAA employees (Supervisor's Handbook) - as you undoubtedly know, the FAA does not issue supervisor handbooks to airline management. Employee relations are covered by FAR's (in some cases), OSHA, contracts, etc.

Cover pilots (Flight Surgeon's opinions and 'disqualifying drugs') - as you also know, pilots are the only group required by the FAA to have periodic physicals. In conjunction with that, the FAA does maintain a list of disqualifying drugs (as well as disqualifying procedures or physical ailments). Some drugs are absolutely disqualifying - a pilot cannot fly while taking them. Others are disqualifying pending review after the pilot has taken the medication for a proscribed period with no deleterious side effects. If the review process is satisfactory, the pilot can resume flying while taking the medication.

Jim

Latest posts