Lga Today--the Pilot Takes A Stand

The difference is work 40 hours a week at US Airways, I am not on a union leave of absence or hold a full-time union position.

700UW said:
What position?

I am a full-time US Airways employee.
[post="256925"][/post]​

I thought identifying yourself as a US Airways employee on the internet was strictly verboten. Maybe while you are ratting out 320 to the SEC you can rat yourself out to HR. Just kidding. :D

This post was about a pilot grabing bags because no one else was around. 700 made a stink about this not being in the pilot's scope. DUH, it's not, but the pilot is off the clock. The door is open, his pay is stopped. What he does on his own time is up to him. He doesn't get paid for the safety walk around, or helping the F/A's clean. That pilot is an asset to his company.

Art at ISP said:
Yes it was Express, it was Piedmont, and the airplane was a Dash 8. That said, there is no excuse for the rampers not being there. I did not place blame nor did I attempt to. The incident happened--it doesn't matter why--and was resolved in a timely manner by a resourceful employee.

I don't care whose fault it was--and 5 pages of finger pointing and bickering are beginning to show why this company may not make it. If everyone spent as much energy trying to make things work as they do pointing fingers and fighting with each other you could save this thing. It is apparently more important who's right and who's wrong and who's to blame than it is for the place to be fixed and running well. That's downright sad.

The BOTTOM LINE is that the customers were taken care of--and although I agree with the statement that the best way to insure a happy customer is to have a happy employee, the customer still pays the bills.Customers don't care WHO does a particular job. If it needs to be done, and the group "responsible" refuses to do it, then so be it if someone else pitches in.

You know, the direction this thread has taken has shown more of the real problem than you all might realize..........

I just hope it ain't too late.........

My best to you all....
[post="256497"][/post]​

Art,

With your point I have to disagree. You may think the customer pays the bills, but those bills are truly shared payment by both employee and customer.

$29 fares don't pay anybody's bills. And in fact, almost every peice of metal that goes up in the air is a loss for U.

The investors and ATSB are giving us the leverage to stay in the game, while we are in BK. And we are in a hole that only a miracle of God could pull us out.

700UW says:"What about your topic you started criticizing Glass?
Then you pulled it down when Chiames threatened your Dividend Miles and you told the whole board that you would not post again."

This I got to hear about, do tell please!

Ah, capt, ah I know your limo was late getting you here because of an accident on highway 9, so to help you out I have already done you pre-flight checks, signed your release, and looked at the weather, and looked at and a filed your flight plan. Ah, stand by a sec can you? Hey down on the ramp....can I start # 2? Turning 2. Oh, yeah, you can get in the seat now and take over. Do you appreciate my help? I love teamwork. :up: :up: :up:

Dizel8 said:
700UW says:"What about your topic you started criticizing Glass?
Then you pulled it down when Chiames threatened your Dividend Miles and you told the whole board that you would not post again."

This I got to hear about, do tell please!
[post="257122"][/post]​
Youve got to be kidding me.

U management flexed their muscles and big bad Bob backed down then he feels he has the right to come to this forum and rag on the unions? What a joke. :down:

PITbull said:
Art,

With your point I have to disagree. You may think the customer pays the bills, but those bills are truly shared payment by both employee and customer.

$29 fares don't pay anybody's bills. And in fact, almost every peice of metal that goes up in the air is a loss for U.

The investors and ATSB are giving us the leverage to stay in the game, while we are in BK. And we are in a hole that only a miracle of God could pull us out.
[post="257115"][/post]​

PitBull,

In no way did I mean to discount the contribution made by labor. Nor do I support the artificially low "GO" fares--I advocate FAIR fares--ones which are rational and make sense--from both a cost AND customer perspective. I think you how I feel about the fares.

While labor has indeed sacrificed tremendously, and the overwhelming majority of them continue to do a wonderful job despite that sacrifice, it's customers who produce the revenue. As much as you and your colleagues have sacrificed, if the customers go away the doors will close.

There is just too much energy spent fingerpointing and blaming one group or another for the situation--this energy should be spent FIXING the problems rather than fighting over who's responsible for them. And this is a unilateral statement--it applies to EVERYONE.

My best to you all........

PITbull said:
Art,

[post="257115"][/post]​

Of course, here we go again with the $29 fares. The fares offered by US have nothing to do with with ramp employees' laziness!

Re the last sentence, you know, "God helps those who help themselves", and that means US doesn't have a chance.

PITbull said:
Art,

You're smarter than that PITbull. Customers, and only customers, pay the bills. Not one single cent of revenue comes from labor. Yes labor has made grievous concessions and taken terrible hits. You can consider yourselves investors, that makes a certain amount of sense, but you are not "paying the bills".

$29 vs an empty seat is $29 more than nothing. You have to look at it in context. The $2,900 fare is doing you more damage because it chases off dozens of customer who may very well have happily paid $290 while the $29 fare is just filling seats that you couldn't sell for $2,900 or any price.

[post="257115"][/post]​

A miracle like people showing up to work and actually performing their jobs?