LH looking for new US city

iflyjetz

Senior
Oct 2, 2002
That''s not good news for U. LH will most likely serve CLT, with U consequently dropping some international service out of CLT. Starting to look like U''s going to be eaten by the death * one small bite at a time.

In the 7/19/03 Charlotte Observer, it was reported that Lufthansa is looking for a new US city to server non-stop from Munich. The cities that are being looked at are CLT, MCO, PIT. IMHO, CLT makes the most sense due to CLT being the 2nd largest financial center in the U.S. and many German companies located in CLT and GSP. MCO would be low yield Disney traffic. Why not fly to CLT and connect to LH''s new partner, U, and connect to MCO or any other FL destination - as well as many other destinations.

CLT would be a nice fit for LH MUC-CLT because of the new US/LH codeshare as well as Star. US will have CLT-FRA and LH will have CLT-MUC. I would think LH would want to start MUC-PHL, but with a US 330 on the route already i dont know if there is a need for a LH flight as well.

----------------
On 7/20/2003 9:32:25 AM usairways85 wrote:
CLT would be a nice fit for LH MUC-CLT because of the new US/LH codeshare as well as Star. US will have CLT-FRA and LH will have CLT-MUC. I would think LH would want to start MUC-PHL, but with a US 330 on the route already i dont know if there is a need for a LH flight as well.
----------------​

USAirways85, LH will eventually take all of the CLT-FRA and PHL-MUC flying. U''s A-330s will end up going to Air Canada, Thai or another * partner. U''s 75 and 767s will find a home at MHV or VCV (or wherever the lessor''s non-temp storage is located).

Bankernclt, UAL serves CDG; you won''t see CLT-CDG direct service return until UAL takes over CLT as a hub. You''ll have to connect through IAD for a few years.

I have to agree with USAirways85. PHL is large enough city, O&D, for both US and LH to operate non-stop to FRA. U needs to continue operating the PHL to Munich non-stop to feed to LH in Munich. In turn, LH can operate the Munich to CLT non-stop to feed to U''s Charlotte hub.

On a separate note, I wish U would start flying the CLT to CDG flights again.

US would do well to try to keep LH out of PIT. There is a reason why PIT is keeping the FRA flight. Notably, you have Bayer, Mannesmann Demag, Medrad, Seimens, and CONSOL Energy (owned by Rheinbraun A.G.). And the large ethnic population. If US dumped PIT-FRA, I''d expect LH to be in PIT.

Of course, US also had Marconi, GlaxoSmithKline, BNFL, and Invensys and let the PIT-LGW flight go as being "unprofitable." So you never know.