Line Maintenance Partnership Agreement

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
I just read the Danny Martinez letter on a so called Line Maintenance Partnership agreement.

As usual it promises nothing other than thinly veiled threats. It is basically a recognition of a letter of agreement that states there will be no layoffs as a direct result of efficiencies gained from "working together".

The key phrase is "involuntary loss of jobs". Jobs will be lost, through attrition,the company will not replace those who retire, resign or are terminated. So for less senior mechanics this means they will be working harder to stay on the bottom.

Nowhere in this "partnership" agreement does it say or imply that those of us who are being told to work harder will share in the gains produced. Not much of a partnership going on here.Sounds more like a plain old "speedup"* to me.

What is interesting to note is that the actual LOA has two management and one appointed union reps signature on it. In other words no union line mechanic, not even an elected representative of any line mechanic, has agreed to this so called partnership.In fact two Line maintenance Presidents Miami and LAX have already posted letters declaring that they are not participating in the program that produced this LOA. There were meetings conducted on company time, on company property yesterday by the President of another local in NY trying to gain support to stay in the program but even he admitted that the membership would probably get nothing from it.

Several months ago myself and Chuck Schalk went to our union meeting and motioned that we not take part in any JLT/PLI scam. I urged our President not to even go unless the company threw something on the table first.

One of the issues I brought up was how could we take part in any cooperative program with the company while they were actively taking punative measures against the membership. I cited the contradictory language in the contract that has members work holidays for half pay. The amount of savings for the company is not much but the impact it has on the members is huge. Correcting this inequity would cost less than what they have laid out for those Goldhoffer tractors they bought to replace the servicable tractors already in place.

The fact is that AA is still in the "threat mode", "give me what I want or else" and despite the fact that AA is spending money like a drunken sailor , preparing to disburse hundreds of millions to the same people who demanded that we take huge paycuts, has over $5 billion in cash and is nowhere near the steps of BK court our so called leaders are acting like they were in 2003.

Bravo to the leaders of MIA and LAX for having the courage to lead, shame on the other Presidents who dont even have the courage to follow.

* Speedup- a condition imposed by an employer in which employees are required to produce more or increase their performance without a compensating increase in pay. (Source; Lexicon of Labor)

It is basically a recognition of a letter of agreement that states there will be no layoffs as a direct result of efficiencies gained from "working together".

If this working together does not increase my bottom line I am not interested

I have heard enough of 'lets work together" so I can get my bonus

The rest of the line stations can JLT without us :shock:

Is that letter in the M&E section of Jetnet?

Nevermind, I just found it. I love the fact that a ramper signed off for the whole M&E Organization.

An even better letter is the one for MAPS entries soon coming to an FMR run near you.

How soon, before the AMT's can solicit another drive, to replace those C***SUCKERS(twu) with another union?.......ANY other Union?...........The *UCKING "CREDIT" union?

NH/BB's

How soon, before the AMT's can solicit another drive, to replace those C***SUCKERS(twu) with another union?.......ANY other Union?...........The *UCKING "CREDIT" union?
NH/BB's
Any time now, its been well over a year. I think that we should try and start something with everybody from every airline.

Imagine if the union leaders of yesteryear saw what happened to the unions they built, run by management , stripping away everything they fought for and selling a speedup to boot!!

The response from Danny Martinez is typical. AS long as we participate in their programs, listen, do nothing we are partners. once you challenge them and try to represent your members you see the real identity of what is behind these committees.... nothing! It took three weeks to gut our contract and we have been involved in these committees for almost a year with no results. The company can give us anything back anytime they want, you don't need a committee for that. as a side note, I have requested from my local for the sick time charts from 2000-2006. I was told the company will not give it to them! I summize that the sick time is out of control again and they will probably go back to the old way and play it off as a negotiated item between the TWU and AA and call it a victory when it is to the companies benefit anyway. I can't even get these statistics and we are suppose to cooperate.... I would not be surprised if we get new union shirts with the AA logo on it.

Bravo to the leaders of MIA and LAX for having the courage to lead, shame on the other Presidents who dont even have the courage to follow.

Local 564 President John Ruiz, LAX, is a man who looks out for the benefit of his membership. he always has and always will. I am not in the MIA Local but it is encouraging to see that at least ONE other Local President is willing to stand up and fight. It would be even better if the other Local Presidents grew a set and decided to fight for the membership and see what the jlt is really.

To ALL Local Presidents, that mean you too burchette, listen when the company comes to us and asks for something in return DEMAND that they offer us something in return. THAT is protecting the membership. Just putting your hands in the company's pockets is going to do NOTHING but warm the company jewels.

Thank you Mr. Ruiz and MIA President. Perhaps if you lead others may follow.

Brothers and Sisters,

Let me take this opportunity to thank all our TWU brothers and sisters across the American Airlines System who have overwhelmingly voiced their support of Local 561's position. We have personally spoken to many of you and do appreciate your calls of support and confidence. I also have heard their may be misinformation circulated out there regarding the Local 561 position on pulling out of the JLT process. So there is no misunderstanding, we have in fact pulled all participation in the JLT process due to the position American Airlines has taken regarding corporate bonuses. This will not change if American Airline continues down the current path of all for me and none for you. Local 561 respects each locals autonomy however with this issue a united front is the only way. The issue of corporate compensation is the proverbial straw the broke the camels back, enough is enough!

You know who you are go to your monthly local meeting and raise hell
:up: :up: :up:

I heard Gary Peterson-Local 567 president is resigning and finally taking his crewchief bid in MIA. Is he being sent to MIA to put Local 561 back in line?

Latest posts

Back