Lufthansa May Return To Phoenix

Now that US has a hub in PHX, why can't US do the Frankfurt International routes themselves???? I am sure they can apply for the slots.

Now that US has a hub in PHX, why can't US do the Frankfurt International routes themselves???? I am sure they can apply for the slots.

My guess would be, that we really don't have the equipment for that route from Phoenix. As they mentioned the other day in the webcast, local traffic really drives international service. It would be great to have US do some of these routes someday, but i think they are hesitant about it for some reason.

No they did not leave PHX to go to CLT.

LH was looking at three differant US Cities for their new MUC flight. It was between CLT, MCO and one other city.

Remember LH left CLT years back when US started the CLT-FRA service.

No they did not leave PHX to go to CLT.

LH was looking at three differant US Cities for their new MUC flight. It was between CLT, MCO and one other city.

Remember LH left CLT years back when US started the CLT-FRA service.

Oh, I forgot- you know everything.
LH left CLT several years ago when they flew FRA-CLT -IAH with a 747 combi.
They left when US Airways went back into the CLT-FRA market.
They then stated that they were "moving the PHX gateway to CLT and add MUC-CLT service due to the Star Alliance agreement."
I flew CLT-RSW on the day the service started and half of our customers were from LH (I counted).

"Don't let the facts get in your way"- 700UW

City officials have been courting Lufthansa for some time, pledging assistance in the airline's marketing campaigns and in researching international flight patterns out of Charlotte.

Lufthansa ended service to Charlotte in 1992, citing lack of demand.

From the article:

When Lufthansa ended its Phoenix-Frankfurt service in early 2004 due to weak passenger traffic, officials didn't rule out a return some day.

They pointed to Charlotte, N.C., which lost its Lufthansa service to Germany in 1992 and got it back last year.