PHX to LHR non stop

That's how they "squeezed" Gordo out. When the merger was announced he was VP of Ops (or maybe just Flt Ops) and rose to CEO as those above him left in the management shuffle. US offered him a job as Ass't VP of Flt Ops (or Director of Flt Ops, I forget which), knowing that he'd likely turn it down.

US management wasn't interested in any new ideas, thinking that they knew all about running an airline. I suppose in a way they did, as long as it was largely a regional airline with a single mega-hub in PIT. It was when US bit off more than it could chew that it's management got in over it's head although it didn't take much knowledge about the industry to see it coming.

Jim

When I think of the giant that US have been with him in charge, I just want to cry.

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." - John Greenleaf Whittier.

\

I don't think that's really what he's doing. For example, planes currently flying TATL from PHL or CLT could be repurposed elsewhere (JFK, ORD, etc.), freeing up a longer haul 777 to fly PHX-LHR. i.e., Kirby may realize that a combined fleet allows an AA+US to better utilize aircraft across the entire network. DL+NW did this and now pre-merger NW aircraft fly international routes out of ATL, as just one example. It's looking beyond what each airline can did individually and focus on what the combined entity could do. This to me isn't hubris; it's sound business practice.

That's possible, but if US metal is removed from CLT and/or PHL European flights so that those planes can replace AA metal on various flights, thus freeing up AA metal to fly to Europe from PHX, then what planes will fly the CLT or PHL European flights? Should those two cities be worried?

I don't think that anyone should be worried, as both US & AA have a fair amount of Widebody A/C coming their way in the near future. Yes, I know that AA has more, and they are getting more, but we are speculating on the combination of the 2 at this time.

That's possible, but if US metal is removed from CLT and/or PHL European flights so that those planes can replace AA metal on various flights, thus freeing up AA metal to fly to Europe from PHX, then what planes will fly the CLT or PHL European flights? Should those two cities be worried?
I don't think that anyone should be worried, as both US & AA have a fair amount of Widebody A/C coming their way in the near future. Yes, I know that AA has more, and they are getting more, but we are speculating on the combination of the 2 at this time.
I speculated before that if the 2 merge, PHL's international services would likely increase significantly to off load connecting domestic flights through JFK due to prime Slot availability. This would maximize AA's existing JFK slots for use on high yielding O&D routes to key One World destinations. CLT would be primarily a domestic connecting Hub with 1 (333) or 2 (probably 757) O&D flights to LHR. I think a big ? is will both the existing Boeing and Airbus orders remain intact, or will 1 or both be reduced? Obviously, it will probably depend on if Airbus, or Boeing financially support the merger. Unless of course anyone is naive enough to predict that 100% AA + 100% US = AA+US. I remember Parker's casual statement several months back when someone asked about PHL and CLT if AA-US merge. He said CLT will not loose significant flights and PHL will always be a major international hub - NOT QUOTES. That seems to support my theory.

Perhaps, but I doubt it as the connection possibilites are very limited. Out of 61 daily flights on the AA/BA schedule, just three are flown from LGW - MCO and TPA. BA can fill those up with UK families vacationing in Florida so the lack of widespread online connections at LGW doesn't matter. While PHX is a great place, it doesn't have the appeal for vacationing Brits as does Florida.

The article did mention slots and while LGW is controlled, slots there are available if carriers apply, unlike LHR.

Interesting. A US/AA merger would mean a de facto return of AA service to LGW some five years after having moved all their LGW service to LHR after the Open Skies Agreement, even though this would only be by virtue of the CLT-LGW service.

Looking at the selection of destinations served from LGW it seems to me that PHX would be a nice addition, not only because the off-summer climate and activities it affords is hugely appealing to those tired of the damp and cold but because it would be the only destination in the Western U.S. served from LGW and a hub at that. Arizona has for decades been an established migratory and permanent destination for Northeasterns, Midwesterners, and Canadians. We have golf, shorts weather in January, stunningly beautiful natural features (Grand Canyon, etc.), old West lore, a city and airport authority hungry and obliging for increased international service, nascent and established industries, and a growing population. I think with the right marketing it could easily appeal to vacationing Brits.

Even though our operation in PHX has not had to work widebody service since having the HA and BA contracts back in the HP days, we do have the gates, pay loaders, and ground equipment on site and fully functional. All that would really be necessary (as far as I can see) is proper training and some additional equipment, probably ULD's, which PHX does not presently use.

PHX-LHR, flown on AA aircraft by AA pilots.

Or worse, not flown at all because we have not two but three distinct pilot groups post-merger, and we end up just adding another LAX or DFW-LHR frequency instead.

PHX-LHR, flown on AA aircraft by AA pilots.

Correct. If the merger goes through, and AA flies PHX-LHR then it would be AA flying PHX-LHR. Since only AA pilots fly AA aircraft, then it would be AA pilots flying AA aircraft from Phoenix to London.

Or worse, not flown at all because we have not two but three distinct pilot groups post-merger, and we end up just adding another LAX or DFW-LHR frequency instead.

So is your strategy of hopping from thread to thread, extinguishing discussion with your pessimistic defecations winning a lot of supporters to your grassroots campaign to get Parker fired? Do you know why you'll never have a groundswell of populist support, besides the fact that the way you go about it is entirely wrongheaded and unappealing?

The potential of this merger has given a lot of people at AA and US some things to finally look forward to (in before DURR HURR KOOLAID). You offer nothing except fantasies of removing Parker, which even if it were to happen would change virtually nothing for us or the contracts we work under and hope to negotiate improvements for.

You try to portray yourself as the determined crusader, hell-bent on fighting for what you romantically profess to deserve, and yet you insist on maintaining the status quo at all cost. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the status quo has not been conducive to getting any of us the contracts we've been longing for for years now, and expecting it will is foolhardy. You'd rather have the AA people languish under abrogated or crap contracts and the US people continue to tread water as they have for years. Some champion of the working person you are.

Why not just come clean and proclaim your true interests in regards to this merger? Your rhetoric is so transparent that continuing as you are makes you seem clownish and incompetent.

Back