Hawaii Service

ATA flys 757-300 and newer then our 16+ year old planes 757-200 and I'm sure they paid for the gear cert. to use the plane as it was bult to do. and just think all the east 757's are older then ours they are all ex eastern junk we only have 3 old eastern junkers and they will not be etops
Wrong, the only Eastern birds are 600 through 609, the rest are brand new from Boeing in the early 90s.

If the paying passengers can't get there, no sense in trying to Non-rev. It might take a week or two, to try to get back to the mainland.

Weight and balance issues should not arise on 757s. I'm not sure what HP does to make such an issue out of this. A 757 can carry its full maximum weight on take-off and climb to 41,000 feet faster then any other plane. NWA flew MSP to HNL on 757s years ago and they did just fine. The distance between PHX-HNL is 2910 miles while max distance is 45,000 miles. Whats the deal HP?

I'm thinking about trying to non-rev to Hawaii on US. Can anyone tell me what are my chances of getting a on? Are somedays easier than others?

I've been working the Maui and hnl this past few weeks. December was challenging to non-rev, but January has been easier. They are no longer overbook or full.
Don't listen to some of the naysayers here, you'll be able to get on. The loads are not that bad anymore.
As a matter of fact, there was a non-rev F/A from PHL on the last flight that I worked.

By the way, starting March...there will be two flights from HNL to PHX and one to LAS, so more chances of getting back to the mainland.

I'm already sick of Hawaii and had my fun, so now I'm back to working domestic.

I think I figured out why Tempe doesn't want the East Coast flyer. They are typically fat, particularly in PHL--so, they are probably making flights like the HNL flights overweight...makes sense now--maybe they should scrap the snack basket.

Is it because she is not objective, or because she writes things you do not like?

It's because like this article proves, nothing nothing nothing she writes shows HP now US in a positive light. Every single airline article written by Ms. Gilbertson is convoluted and twisted in such a way to put HP in the worst light. Just take a look at this article. First of all, it's not news that an airline bumps passengers. Every airline but 1 does it. And it's not until the very end of the article that it's mentioned, in passing, that we're already working on a solution. It's also mentioned, in passing, that we proactively reaccomed most pax before they even arrived at the airport.

Here are a few pesky facts for you to mull over:

Percentage of invol pax: .5%
Percentage of blatantly negative paragraphs with an editorial v. factual slant: 26%

Dawn Gilbertson's first question when the merger was announced? "Don't you guys think you're a little young be taking on this kind of venture?" When far more experienced reporters from PHL, PIT, and CLT asked fact-based questions regarding the combined carrier.

Keep in mind, this reporter is a true-blue WN supporter, and good for her, they certainly need all the good press they can get :rolleyes:. But WN's codeshare buddies TZ fly out of PHX to OGG and HNL, so the underlying message here is, fly TZ, HA, or DL to Hawaii, folks, because the folks at US certainly don't know what they're doing. In fact, I think more negative press should be generated against all of our jobs because we certainly don't need them...

So you tell me, Dog, faced with the facts, is this reporter objective? Or does she just write things in line with your constant negative bent?

I think I figured out why Tempe doesn't want the East Coast flyer. They are typically fat, particularly in PHL--so, they are probably making flights like the HNL flights overweight...makes sense now--maybe they should scrap the snack basket.

That crack was not warranted about people in PHL. Lets get something straight.Here is the beakdown of a B757-200

EOW 136202 EOW(is empty operating weight)
Pax 37635 193-pax @195 lbs each(based on US east 757)
cargo 9000 300 bags @30 lbs each
ZFW 182837 (weight before fueling or zero fuel weight
MZFW 184000 (max zero fuel weight) 1163 lbs left
FOB 57100 (This might be the fuel if not headwinds
GTOW 239937 (takeoff weight for this flight)
MTOW 240000 (Max takeoff weight)

So if your are a dispatcher or pilot requiring more fuel than 57100 fuel for this trip where do you think they are going to get the available weight to do so..

1. cut passengers .If cut 15 passengers at use the 195 per pax and translate that into fuel 2925 lbs more fuel

Pax 34710 178-pax @195 lbs each(based on US east 757)
ZFW 179912 (weight before fueling or zero fuel weight
MZFW 184000 (max zero fuel weight) 4088 lbs left
FOB 60000 (NEW FUEL LOAD)
GTOW 239912 (takeoff weight for this flight)

This may not even be enough to dispatch legally when alternate is most likely LAX

Actually ATA flies the 757-200 from PHX now. To be honest they have since I can remember back in '97. They did use the 757-300 for a while but now that is mostly used for their military stuff. Also no our East 757's are not older than yours!! The only Eastern birds are 600-609(ish) 610-633 (with the exception of 618 which is gone) were all purchased brand-new from Boeing starting in the early 90's and 633 was actually delivered in the Navy (Stephen Wolf) paint and NO I cannot recall our 757's (with the exception of 600-609) being junk. They may not be ETOPS but they certainly make their way down to the far reaches of the Carib.
Ladys and gentleman,
I work on the 757 every other day, and no there not junk they are all fine aircraft.Granted the eastern planes were
in need of a lot of work when we first got them from eastern.

They have all been through heavy maintence in Clt. and were all reworked and were fixed right.I would guarantee
there airworthy condition and do every other day as do lots of other a/p mechanics. I personally know almost all the mechanics in Charlotte , and they are all some of the best in the Industry. They all did a great job on these aircraft.

I would put all our 757's up against any in the industry.
I fly them almost every week as I commute. The 757 is one of the best planes ever built in my opinion.

Usair has the best maintence program in the world , and the best aircraft mechanics.Nothing we have is junk it is all highly maintained aircraft.

Do not ever say any aircraft we have are junk ! I take that as a insult to all the hard work we all do every day and night.

When we sighn a logbook and say its airworthy, you can bet its safe to fly.

At least Usairways has more mechanics per aircraft than southwest.

Show some pride in your work.

Very well said Aircraft Mechanic.

US even created a great MOD program when they reconfigured the old EA Birds.

Our Mechs in CLT Base are awesome and do a great job. They did such a great job that America West had us overhaul some of their 757s as did Challenge Air Cargo.

That crack was not warranted about people in PHL. Lets get something straight.Here is the beakdown of a B757-200

Pax 37635 193-pax @195 lbs each(based on US east 757)
ZFW 182837 (weight before fueling or zero fuel weight
MZFW 184000 (max zero fuel weight) 1163 lbs left
FOB 57100 (This might be the fuel if not headwinds
GTOW 239937 (takeoff weight for this flight)

So if your are a dispatcher or pilot requiring more fuel than 57100 fuel for this trip where do you think they are going to get the available weight to do so..

1. cut passengers .If cut 15 passengers at use the 195 per pax and translate that into fuel 2925 lbs more fuel
Pax 34710 178-pax @195 lbs each(based on US east 757)
ZFW 179912 (weight before fueling or zero fuel weight
MZFW 184000 (max zero fuel weight) 4088 lbs left
FOB 60000 (NEW FUEL LOAD)
GTOW 239912 (takeoff weight for this flight)

This may not even be enough to dispatch legally when alternate is most likely LAX

From my knowledge a 757-200, max take off weight is 255,000 lbs w/ EOW of 128,730 lbs. If a 757 can fly across the atlantic it can defintly go from PHX-HNL with no problem b/c it is roughly the same distance (even a little longer depending on departure and arrival city).

Question...are the AWA 75's and crew Cat III certified? This would certainly make a difference on the fuel loads based on the WX in HNL.

Ladys and gentleman,
I work on the 757 every other day, and no there not junk they are all fine aircraft.Granted the eastern planes were
in need of a lot of work when we first got them from eastern.

They have all been through heavy maintence in Clt. and were all reworked and were fixed right.I would guarantee
there airworthy condition and do every other day as do lots of other a/p mechanics. I personally know almost all the mechanics in Charlotte , and they are all some of the best in the Industry. They all did a great job on these aircraft.

I would put all our 757's up against any in the industry.
I fly them almost every week as I commute. The 757 is one of the best planes ever built in my opinion.

Usair has the best maintence program in the world , and the best aircraft mechanics.Nothing we have is junk it is all highly maintained aircraft.

Do not ever say any aircraft we have are junk ! I take that as a insult to all the hard work we all do every day and night.

When we sighn a logbook and say its airworthy, you can bet its safe to fly.

At least Usairways has more mechanics per aircraft than southwest.

Show some pride in your work.
Thank You AIRCRAFTMECHANIC. Its reassuring to hear someone who actually works on the aircraft say how professional and safe the work completed really is. My family and I, as most employess, trvl a good deal and obviously safety is in the foremost of my mind. Your pride in your work shows in this post and I am grateful you work for US. Please know that many of us really appreciate your work and although I dont know any mechanics personally(have nonreved with a few) please know your daily work is not unnoticed. Please continue with pride in your work and stand tall, you are an essential part of this airline. Regards.

Latest posts