maa stand proud

noluv

Apr 19, 2004
i am a frequent flier. i was boarding a flight when i overheard two us mainline pilots talking to two recalled flight attendants. they asked the flight attendants what they did while they were laid off. they both said we worked for midatlantic. the pilots said and i quote, "eeeww and how was that?" without skipping a beat they both explained that if midatlantic continued to exist that they would still be there. they would have NEVER came back to mainline. there were no bitter people because everyone who worked there chose to go there, they were not forced. and everyone seems to forget that midatlantic was THE FIRST "supposed company to fly theses planes in the world." the pilot asked then "why did you all not go work for republic?" and the answer that these flight attendants gave disturbed me greatly. they explained that they were not guaranteed jobs there. that they had to go on an interview. and that IF they were hired....that their seniority did not carry over. basically they were STAPLED to the bottom of republic's seniority list. also...these midatlantic flight attendants were required to go to training for republic. PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! these midatlantic flight attendants can go back to mainline with no extra training....but after working the emb170 for 2 years they have to go train on it? what did you all pay your union for??? i am sorry, but these people are the best of the best and enjoy their jobs. they deserve some sort of recognition.

Republic f/as are not represented by AFA. I don't believe their f/as have any representation. The Collective bargaining agreement does not cover any f/as who would be hired to Republic or any other airline other than USAirways mainline. AFA negotiated the furloughed f/as to be offered jobs at MAA before any hiring off the street.

Republic is not a part of USAirways in any way or form. Repulic is another carrier out there, like United, NWA, DL, JetBlue, LUV, etc.. the involutnary furloughees have no recall or flow through to even PSA, which is a wholly owned of USAirways. these entities do not give any involuntary furloughees recall rights other than being hired similar to off the street.

The involuntnary furloughees have "recall rights" to only mainline at USAirways which because of previous negotiations, includes the MAA f/as who were all involuntary furlugh status from U mainline and therefore covered under sec. 19 of the CBA.

thanks for the input pitbull. but you are telling me that when the sale agreement was set forth by the company...usair, that they could not have included that in their agreement? i am in no means attacking the union.... i just think that someone could have done something for these employees when the sale was finalized. if psa would have bought the planes and they are afa would it have been different?

No. It would have been the same result as Republic.

When MAA was being negotiated there was no forethought of "sell" specifically a brand new entity/division of mainline. These f/as were our invountary furloughed f/as and AFA ensured that they had first rights to jobs if they chose. Their furlough status did not change, and therefore they had "recall rights" back to mainline. It was called "flow through".

AFA can not dictate to other airline managments who they can accept as employees. Same with other airlines. One would think that other airlines would want to take/accept fa/s that have had the experience, however, when you hire f/as to your airline, like Republic, you can't grant them seniority rights as that infringes on their f/as.

For example, if United bought all of our Airbus/A330 and I was on involuntary furlough status with USAirways, working at Mesa, PSA, or MAA, United would not grant me recall rights and slot me in by my seniority because of my years of service at another carrier. Their f/as have contractual rights with their bargaining unit that protects their seniority.

Now if United bought the entire airline, like USAirways, then the issue of seniority would have to be worked out as it was with AWA. Being AWA had the same union as U f/as, the Constitution and Bylaws of the union prevailed.

From my understanding of the "deal" with Republic, they only bought the a/c from USAirways. They did not purchase the entire MAA, routes etc...

pit..i agree with you. i know that you obviously are well knowledged on this subject. but supposedly was or was not mid a seperate division of usair. if not then why are they not retaining their longevity? there are a lot of f/a's that worked there for 2+ years and they are not getting that included for pay purposes.

The Involuntary furlughees who accepted jobs at MAA were offered jobs in seniority order from the INVOL list, however, they did not have to accept the jobs when offered. The reason why many more senior furloughees didn't accept is that they preferred to stay on unemployment or had taken better paying jobs. They knew that according to our CBA sec. 19, no more junior f/a could jump ahead in seniority on mainline when recalled or receive more pay once they were recalled because of that sec. in the mainline contract that protected f/as in that seniority order.

For example, if I were a furloughee on that "list" and I had a seniority from mainline of Aug. 1999 hire date, and decided to pass the MAA offer because the pay was just too low and rather stay at my current job working in a hospital until I get recalled to mainline, the f/a on the "list" who had a DOH of March 2001, wo accepted the job at MAA, could not be recalled back to mainline, bring in his/her seniority from MAA, and be paid more than I would or be more senior to me because of the time spent on MAA. The mainline CBA does not permit that. MAA was treated the same as if the involuntary furloughee worked at MESA or United or JetBlue (which we had f/as that got hired that were invol. furloughed from USAirways at those carriers). These f/as remained on "furlough status" and had only recall rights to U mainline with no longevity for bidding or pay purposes as written in Section 19.

Out of approx 1,900 INVOLUNTARY furloughees, only approx 270 took jobs with MAA. Many of them accepted jobs that were quite junior to the most senior on that list. The person who decided not to accept the job, still retained their seniority for recall purposes to mainline and would not have any infringement or disenfranchment once recalled back. This langauge is about 30 years old in our contract at mainline for furloughees.

pit i am SO NOT TRYING to be condescending i just am uninformed. were these furloughees allowed to vote on this issue? were they offered the chance to continue to pay union dues even though they were furloughed so that they could vote on issues that concerned their life and standard of living?

Yes, many who took the jobs on MAA and who were still active when concession #1 and #2 were being negotiated did have an opportunity as active fa/s to vote. Then, There were some that were from an involuntary furlough from as far back as Dec. 2, 2001 BEFORE any concessions or BK were even discussed and were inactive as involuntary fuloughees and could not vote.

In the AFA Constitution and Bylaws, inactive f/as on leave can not pay union dues beyond 90 days of inactive service. That's for any AFA member at any airline.

For example, I'm on VFLR. I am not permitted to be a member of AFA, and have no vote, even though subsequent negotiations could effect my status. The USAirways contract does currently allow me 'recall' rights back to mainline. But according to AFA Constitution, I have no voting rights. Same with f/a retirees.

In order to amend the Constitution and Bylaw (much similar to that of amendments in the Constitution) you need the votes from the Delegates of the AFA Board of Directors (ALL Airline carriers that are AFA), (like the numbers of the Senate like 67 presidents) to amend the constitution.

pit...i respect your opinion. but do you honestly think that is fair? do you think that is something that these flight attendants should try to get IN CONTRACT for the future? history ALWAYS repeats itself!

Its as fair as the House of Representatives and Senate who fail to amend the constitution or pass legislation that could postively effect or negatively impact the citizens of our Nation.

Unions are a non-profit representation business. They are not charitible organizations of representation. Having non-active f/as who may or may not have any interest in the operation of a carrier, or how active, current f/a work rules are, or wages, and have a vote for electing representatives or contracts would not be balanced or fair. There are thousands of furloughees that will never come back to this business. I'm one of them. For me to pay union dues, or not and still have a weighted vote would, IMO not be fair to those who are working the job every day.

Whether the f/as who accepted jobs at MAA want to believe this or not, they were only protected by section 19 of mainline agreement. That is the only section that covered them while on "furlough status" and the language is clear.

Many, if not all the MAA f/as who remained on "furlough status" either don't know that or don't understand that. With regard to non-union dues paying and inactive status as furloughed, has nothing to do with the USAirways contract. That has ALL to do with the AFA Constitution and Bylaws, that govern ALL carriers that have AFA representation. And governs one's priviledge of a vote.

noluv youve got it pretty much right.

Where to begin?

The very seniormost US Airways flight attendants that were "MAA'd" were active for some of the concessions. You can bet they voted NO for the whole concession specifically because of the vague references to MidAtlantic... basically chopping off the bottom half of the seniority list, start a new entity with mainline people at commuter wages, and order 100 something planes, roughly the amount of 737s the old US flew. Hmmm, that doesn't sound shady? Keep in mind though that at the time it was supposed to be an airline (MidAtlantic Airways, using the old Potomac Air/DCAir certificate left over from the failed UA merger). It was supposed to be a wholly owned. Later on they changed thier mind and just delivered the planes to mainline but still called the fenced division "MidAtlantic."

US announced they were selling the planes and some DCA and LGA because they were the only things they had that were worth anything. They said the small fleet of 170s (25 with over 80 still on order) didnt make sense, even though US Airways maintains much smaller fleets of A330s, 767s, 757s and A321s. They also said they had the option to buy it all back in two years... its still unclear whether or not that included the actual planes. It doesnt seem to be the case... We also didnt realize at the time that the exact amount they sold it for was the exact amount that covered retention bonuses for the US East management.

When the "sale" was announced in May the company told us it would just be a change in ownership- Republic instead of US Airways. They even continued to recall flight attendants to the divsion for months after the announcement. We were told our contract (even though were never given one and the company kept changing it) would be honored and so would our recall rights to US Airways. We figured great, this new company can buy more planes, US had halted deliveries. RP was made up of two companies- Chautauqua and Shuttle America, but they were starting a third, Republic Airlines just for the US 170s. It just made sense that since they were buying EVERYTHING- the planes, the sims, the door trainer... that Republic Airlines was just going to be MAA Division with a certificate.

But no, Republic had it's own ideas.

It was not until September, a week or two before the first plane left that we heard different. Republic said we could interview and be a new hire just like anyone else. They made it clear that there would be no preferential hiring, or even a guarantee that we would work for Republic itself-we could be placed at Republic's other two companies Chautauqua or Shuttle America, and if hired could be based in any of 16 bases across the US, flying for Delta Connection, United Express, maybe US Express... all for 16K a year. If hired we would go behind transfers from Republics other two commuter airlines and any other new hires. And yes PitBull, Republic is union, they are Teamsters.

US wouldn't do anything for us and basically just stopped mentioning MidAtlantic at all at this point. They realized we could all just quit so offered $200 if you stayed until you were furloughed. They didnt have to do much furloughing because enough people seemed to quit each month as our planes left. This was also around the time of the merger hoopla and no one gave a #### about the division at all. In all the merger press releases nothing was mentioned about the fact that US even operated these planes, that they had a division of thier mainline, or that they were quietly eliminating 800 jobs that had just returned a year before.

The pilots went to arbitration about the jobs. RP and US claimed it was just a Jets 4 Jobs thing- meaning RP would have to hire some furloughed pilots (not neccessairly the MDA ones) and that was it. The company had always banged its pots and pans about MAA being seperate but then stood up at the arbitration and claimed that no such thing ever existed, this was just a case of US selling 25 planes, same as if they sold 25 737s, so no jobs go with them. This made the pilots turn around and organize a lawsuit. The F/As who had been offered nothing (except the $200 dollars!) did the same. You can read what a mess that all turned into in other threads.

Pitbull I have a lot of respect for you but your facts are bad. No one from August 1999 has ever been furloughed. On another thread you claimed no one was furloughed in 2003, which is when THE MOST people were furloughed. Your number of MDA F/As is off by at least a hundred. And you cant claim that selling a 757 to United is the same as literally outsourcing a mainline plane but keeping it on the property as US Airways "Express". And do you really think commuter airlines "own" routes? US owns the routes and can have anyone they want fly them. If they could find a way to send a CRJ900 to Lisbon they would. We have no brand scope, in fact we have very little scope at all. Like I said I have alot of respect for you but YOU FAILED us with MidAtlantic. US Airways did, but thats to be expected, Republic did, and lets hope they go down in flames, and the MAINLINE AFA that WE PAID DUES TO failed us. Failed every US Airways flight attendant on this one, not just the furloughee/Embraer ones. Republic has 90 lines of flying in your precious Pittsburgh. Thats 90 lines of US AIRWAYS flying... 90 less people getting displaced... 90 less people on reserve... 90 less people on furlough ....not to mention all of the support jobs.

You state that you cant pay dues while on inactive status... well your claiming the MAA F/As were not active... how come they were paying union dues to mainline AFA? I called them. My dues were going into the mainlines bank. "MDA AFA" was only considered a council of the mainline, like a base is.

I know we're going to hear now about how its more important to save the senior jobs at any expense, and how a gun was to the head and they were going to shut the company down and how they wanted new hires for MDA in the first place. Well of course they did! And no one thought to put any sort of protection for these mainline F/As who were already in a "division" with a contract "still being printed"... This is the type of stuff a union has to deal with! AFA failed. FAILED on this one.

And yes, if MAA were still a division, I would never have left. We would have tried to decertify the AFA (oops how can we, we're part of mainline!) and tried to right the mistakes. Now the planes are gone and the company got what it deserved- unreliable crappy express service and very angry employees. Maybe Doug will get rid of them, get the planes back or order more of our own the legitamite way. All I know is we worked for US Airways for two years without getting pay longevity for it then our jobs were outsourced, and our union not only helped set it up but did nothing to save us. Drivel away but it's wrong. Nothing you or anyone else says will make it not wrong.

IBT is the union for Republic Airways (Chautauqua, Republic, Shuttle America). They maintain one seniority list between the three companies.

What they offered the MidTitanic Flight Attendants was the "opportunity to interview", which translates into we would not have had to go to a cattle call. As with all new hires, if hired, we would be assigned to anyone of the three companies and be new hires. After suffering with the low wages, horrid benefits, and low per diem at MidTitanic many of us knew that there was NO way we could sink further down the payscale by accepting positions at Republic. The majority of those that went were for career advancement (training department, inflight experience),and to be based in PIT. Overall, I have only heard of a handful going to Republic and some of those accepted the recall to US Airways Mainline.

AT the same time the planes were leaving the company also offered positions on the AW side and some flight attendants accepted those positions. In addition, recall rumors to mainline were flying and did become a reality with more to come by the end of the year if all goes well.

So, the flight attendants did have several opportunities to choose from by the time MidTitanic was entering the last days of operation.

Pitbull,

The phrase "stapled to the bottom of the senority list" is so familiar to me. A group of us MAA folks met with the AFA last September. All the items that you have covered were gone over in great detail, along with how the FA's from US Airways would be merged with America West. After the meeting, I went to DCA to turn in my ID, handbook, ect.

In the crewroom in DCA, the only person who attended the AFA meeting and did not withdrawl from litigation, stood up in a chair and started screaming that America West was going to staple ALL USAirways employees to the bottom of their senority list. She knew this for a fact, the AFA told her so. (and so the lawsuit lies began) The rest of us were horrified. In the meeting we had been told that date of hire had always been the rule, and even though Amercia West was challenging date of hire, our AFA was working to keep that policy in place.

The chair person now heads the MAA lawsuit committee. Now you know why so many have left.

Hey, is that confidential too? How many committee members have quit in the last 9 months?

No Luv,

What you overheard from the those flight attendants on your flight was right on the money.

Although technically "MDA" was as much a part of mainline as any Boeing or Airbus crew was, the perception amoung many was that it was different.

And they were right, it was better.

Sure was not pay wise, MDA amounted to nothing more than a union sanctioned B-Scale. But you'll never get the likes of PitBull to admit to allowing that back onto the property.

But "MidAtlantic" was way better in the work atmosphere between crewmembers, and it was far far better a place in terms of coworker solidarity. In comparison to the Mainline we have now, and the merged mainline we will have in the future, the Midatlantic crewmembers have every right to feel proud, and hold their heads high.