Machinists Union Merger Update

The contracts speak for themselves.

IBT=no heavy mtc, IAM=Heavy mtc and more jobs.

And you dont know me and I don't think the IAM is god, so try again.

I am pro-IAM, dont like it, dont read my posts.

You are just scared because you are junior.

Deleted by poster

Sorry let me repost my last post seems I had it wrong they have actually deleted (the writing was shaded therefore meaning being deleted) the side agreement from the new negotiated agreement. See below a the deleted side agreement

Teamsters Local Union No. 104
America West Airlines - Mechanics and Related Employees
Tentative Agreement
The following Tentative Agreement between Teamsters Local Union No. 104 and America West Airlines, is for the period of October 8, 2003 through a date to be negotiated. Both parties reserve the right to add to, delete from, amend, modify, or correct any inadvertent errors to this Tentative Agreement during the course of negotiations. Shaded language is to be deleted from the agreement. Bold and underlined language is to be added to the agreement. All other language in the agreement remains unchanged.

The part below in quotes was shaded
"LETTER OF AGREEMENT 3
This Letter of Agreement is made and entered into in accordance with the provisions of the Railway Labor
Act, as amended, by and between America West, Inc., (hereinafter referred to as the “Companyâ€￾) and the
mechanics and related in the service of America West Airlines, Inc., as represented by the International
Brotherhood of Teamsters (hereinafter referred to as the “Unionâ€￾):

Upon Board of Directors approval of the return of “Câ€￾ Checks work to be performed by employees within the bargaining unit, the Company and the Union shall meet without delay to agree how many non-A&P
positions (other than those identified in Article 11.2) constitutes a reasonable number to assist in the
performance of the “Câ€￾ check and related work, and on the pay, work rules and benefits that will enable
the Company to hire such reasonable number of mechanics."

Side Letter

Summary (last link on bottom)

This begs the question were the "C" checks actually brought in house with the last contract and are they going to stay in house if they were.

Hey 700uw I thoutht in one of your many posts that you have a hole 17 years if that with us airways, well if thats true you are jr to me then, and I,m not scared of you and there are still a few others that have more then you at awa, maybe you're scared you'll loose your job if ( and not likely to loose in place checks) IAM gets the boot. hey but awa has int. maint techs that will loose thier jobs if IAM wins what do you say to those people. maybe you still don't have all the facts yet!

I was hired in 88 that gives me 17yr+ not worried just looking for the facts and all you can say is we have scope. Should be scoop cause that what your shoveling.

ANSWER the questions

Do I under stand this right that a lot of the furloughed members have let there membership in the IAM expire and could not vote

IAM doesn't seam to know where there furloughed members are. Well that is what there telling the IBT that is wanting to send Info out to you all.

Maybe you (700UW) are not interested be I'm sure there are a lot that are. and the IAM is keeping them uninformed.

Dues have to be current to vote
700 "A IAM member has lifetime recall rights at US while on furloughee, they don't have to be an active member to vote in any NMB supervised election."

Tell us all what the IAM is going to do to keep every one that is working US AIRWAYS east/west with a job. Tell us how the IAM is not going to layoff anyone.
Tell us how the IAM is going to get your pay back up.
Tell us how the IAM is going to help inprove any of the benefits loss

Just answer the Questions. And please show us where you got your FACTS if you can. Try not to use SCOPE in any of your answers

First of all the company laysoff workers, not a union.

Second, neither contract has a no layoff clause so the IBT nor the IAM can prevent US from laying people off.

If the IAM gets single carrier status the former HP's A320 family A/C and 50% of the 737s must be overhauled in-house, not by Timco or TACA, which currently overhauls the former HP fleet.

When the work is brought in-house per the IAM contract it will mean an increase of mechanics.

And at US we do the total overhaul not just a C-check.

And the IAM sent every member a letter on the update and it has been posted on the District 142 web page and the International has dedicated a whole page just to US Airways Merger issues.

The information is out there for anyone and everyone to see.

There are raises built into the current contract.

You keep saying that Teamsters will loose the heavy Mx and that is just not true. You who claims to know the facts always seems to leave out facts when it is benificial to your rambling BS. The current scope does not go away if the membership signs cards. Infact we will be operating under two seperate contracts for awhile. But unlike the IAM the Teamsters are in a position to negociate a new contract that will have to be ratified by the total membership. I give the mechanics enough credit to be smart enough to not ratify a scope clause that doesn't protect that work. I think they are smarter that you give them credit for. The IAM has come out and said that they intend to roll the America West Techs into thier contract. Which tells me the US Airways mechanics are stuck with the lower pay and benefits through 2009. Quite frankly that sucks.

US Airways Mechanics sign the cards - secure the right to vote - do your own research on the issues instead of listening to the BS on here - then vote what YOU think is best for YOU. Do not let me or any other union rep or part time employee tell you how to vote for your future. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND VOTE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU - IT IS YOUR CAREER AND LIVELYHOOD

You keep saying that Teamsters will loose the heavy Mx and that is just not true. You who claims to know the facts always seems to leave out facts when it is benificial to your rambling BS. The current scope does not go away if the membership signs cards. Infact we will be operating under two seperate contracts for awhile. But unlike the IAM the Teamsters are in a position to negociate a new contract that will have to be ratified by the total membership. I give the mechanics enough credit to be smart enough to not ratify a scope clause that doesn't protect that work. I think they are smarter that you give them credit for. The IAM has come out and said that they intend to roll the America West Techs into thier contract. Which tells me the US Airways mechanics are stuck with the lower pay and benefits through 2009. Quite frankly that sucks.

US Airways Mechanics sign the cards - secure the right to vote - do your own research on the issues instead of listening to the BS on here - then vote what YOU think is best for YOU. Do not let me or any other union rep or part time employee tell you how to vote for your future. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND VOTE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU - IT IS YOUR CAREER AND LIVELYHOOD
Very nicely said

curious,HP mech's don't now do heavy maintenance....'C' chks aren't heavy work......how does this justify?
i feel quite qualified to digress here.....i was a heavy lead for 2 years at U and know staffing issues.
first a 'C' chk track needs about 7 mechs and 1 lead per shift times 24/7 maybe more depending on days off rotation....this is per track in a hangar that may have 3 or more tracks if committed to 'C' chk's only.
go to a heavy 'Q' and manpower goes to 3 leads and 36 mech's per track per shift per day 24/7.
tell me doug and his bean counters are cool with this labor cost.
get beyond this issue of staffing and now we go to a runoff between two unions....now you must factor in ,like 700 has been trying to tell you all for so long,even though U has a gazillion more votes than IBT,most have moved on and i guarantee y'all most won't bother to vote.even factor in the working and i also tell you you won't get your required vote.too many are disallusioned with IAM whether they are right or wrong.this is the way it is........expect a decertification.....i mean it...700 has been trying to get this through your heads.whether you like IBT or IAM this is the risk you are up against.

we go to a runoff between two unions....now you must factor in ,like 700 has been trying to tell you all for so long,even though U has a gazillion more votes than IBT,most have moved on and i guarantee y'all most won't bother to vote.even factor in the working and i also tell you you won't get your required vote.too many are disallusioned with IAM whether they are right or wrong.this is the way it is........expect a decertification.....i mean it...700 has been trying to get this through your heads.whether you like IBT or IAM this is the risk you are up against.
And exactly another shinning example why I am so relived to be done with it all. IAM, this or that union is up against the devil's supreme king who resides within the airline industry as the top dog issuing out millions to the few who screw the many.

I have been IAM before - having been on both sides it is worth the risk - have you or 700 been Teamster's???
i've been USWA and IAM.....i'm sure IBT is a fine union.....what you must get through all your heads is the apathetic nature of union members at U and their unwillingness to participate in union activities.check into the fleet service group at U ,they rallied around trying to get representation between several unions and had problems,then i think it was your IBT group they voted in...well they weren't satisfied with the results they were getting and they had another runoff...well this time they didn't get the 50%+1 and they were decertified for 2 years and the company went nuts during this free period.my point is the mechanic group is just as bad if not worse...i'd imagine your group on the HP side would get a fair turnout but on U's side forget it.i'd be prepared for zero representation.
its your funeral,take it from one who served

On our side we do not have that level of persons that do not care about thier own fate. I would expect 90 to 95 per cent to vote, and I am not saying that they all would support the IBT, but they would vote. I do not know of any labor organizations that has 100% support.

They were decertified in 1989 and remained non-union till 1995.

There are over 2,000 furloughed members at US who are eligble to vote.

So that is around 5,000 or so eligble voters at US alone, another 800 at HP, so you woul need 2,800 voters.

AWA Contract,

If one were to have a illness over 8 weeks and used up their 320 hours of accrued sick time, does that end their sick pay? And our current agreement at U does contain yearly increases, total of 6% through 2009.

Our sick time pay is at 100% of your pay till the hours are used up. The tenatively agreed new article increases the cap to 360 if I remember correctly (I do not have it with me today). We then have short term disability and long term disability that you are able to do the buy ups to get the coverage to 66% of your pay. The check that arrives to you and I can speak from experience is very close to your normal take home pay after your deductions. The checks from the insurance company do not have all the deductions coming out of them.

Our pay is one of the articles that has not been resolved yet, but due to the fact that we are higher than you already with our top out at 10 years being at $23.35 per hour with a license premium of $1.00 per hour for each license (maximum of 2.00 per hour) our total pay per hour is $25.35. With your pay rate at what it is I think that just about covers your 6% over the course of the contract, and that is before our negociations. I know our membership is looking for increases and will not approve a contract unless there is.

Hope that answers your question Docker.

Latest posts

Back