Management Presents "plan" To Afa

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
AFA met with management today for approx 6 hours. Plan was presented, and the MEC not at liberty to acutally discuss details for "competitive" reasons. But what was able to be said is that managment has taken the current business model and radically changed its "framework" . Many of the aspects of the business plan mirrors SW model, not in total but certain key elements that when implemented would make for a sound, viable plan to turn this airline around. Changing the "image" of the airline for starters; transforming from a convoluted, complex fare structure , to a more simple, consistant format in fare pricing is one of the key components. Improving the route structure, as well as utilizing the a/cs more efficiently. Improvments to the product, first class and changing customer perception. From the sounds of it, and trying not to drink any damn kool-aide whatsoever to poison the system, this plan may be plausible.

Management did not talk about labor participation in specifics, but did request labor particpation. What is disappointing still is managements inability to address the perception of mistrust of management going forward.

Most employees are not interested in hearing a business plan, when their work place environment continues to be hostile with punitive, new draconian policies that effect the employees day to day work life.

Mangement was told that it is real bad out there in the front line. The MEC chastised management and specifically certain key people. Made management perfectly aware of the Union leaders' role is not to be the "messengers" of the business plan or act as spokespersons for management. Leaders only are elected as the "spokespersons" for their respective group and represent their collective voices in the work place. Mangement will have a rough and tough road to toll in this regard to repair morale first. A concession #3 has never been requested from any airline in a time frame of 18 months in this Industry's history. In my estimation, members must be balloted this time and give permission to its leaders to open contracts. The MEC posed many "hard line, tough questions to mangement, however, tried to make the environment non-adversarial. But, it did get heated at times.

Management was told that in order to get to "point C", you must first go through points A and B. Mangement culture MUST change. It is imperative to the entire company's survival.

The sooner the better.

Next week, theMEC regular scheduled MEC winter meeting held in Pittsburgh for 3
days. On the agenda will be the discussion regarding this meeting with management.

Art from ISP,

My friend, your issues from these boards were brought up....your wish, is mangement's command.

Thanks to you and all the U loyalists who have always stuck by the employees.

Thanks for loving us enough! :up: :D

I would be inclined to listen to their plan only after they quit trying to steal from the workers. If the outsourcing issue runs the full course and they lose they can kiss off because I would give nothing to any one that tried to steal from their workers.

PitBull,

To quote More Facts and Less Emotion:

One word: WOW!

Our MEC goes in and all we hear is "We've got to settle MDA grieviences today so we can discuss SCOPE relief tomorrow. By the way, we didn't see the plan."

Good job.

Jim

As a frequent passenger, I hope the positive thinking continues. I'm surprised by the report about the AFA meeting!!

PITbull said:
From the sounds of it, and trying not to drink any damn kool-aide whatsoever to poison the system, this plan may be plausible.
Thats surprisingly good news to hear. :up:

BTW, I can't....find....my bottle of Bacardi anywhere... and why does this kool aid taste funny? :p

very encouraging news pitt. especially coming from you. i totally agree about working on moral issues here.

Winglet,

Can't argue that.

Only fear I personally have in all this, and not hearing just what labor's participation is expected, is how much will labor have to subsidize this plan in order to give the customer a more competitive fare. It concerns me.

US Airways' survival plan will receive first test in Philadelphia
Low-fare carrier Southwest Airlines announces new service today

Thursday, February 12, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways Chief Executive Officer David Siegel yesterday laid out the company's plan for survival in a meeting with flight attendants, saying it wants to reduce the airline's high fares, alter its route structure and use its aircraft more efficiently.

Ground zero for the new strategy is Philadelphia, where low-fare rival Southwest Airlines starts service in May and will announce its fare structure today.

Article

Jim

PineyBob said:
You may or may not like PITbull or me. Lord knows we are very different. But good bad or indifferent at least we try to be agents of positive change. This is good news let's not try to tinkle all over it.
We?

Bob since when do you work for US Airways either as a union member or management?

You have not given one red cent in concessions or seen 20,000 of your friends walk out the door never to return.

And not have your employer violate the very contracts they signed.

Maybe we can sit down and discuss this over a Frosty?