Management Versus Labor

756pro

Feb 8, 2004
Reading these boards for any length of time makes it clear that there are only a few categories of posters. The truly interested bystanders are either passengers or retired employees wondering how long their pensions will continue to come in.

Then we have the facade poster who posts as employees in different work groups coming across as concerned employees trying to reason with what they consider the hardliners and a real a threat to the company as a whole.

Then we have the real, down to earth, tired and worn out and battered U employee. These employees are all individuals and post as such, some are calm and accepting while others are mean and full of anger and rage, and some are trying to make sense of this absurd entity called USAIWAYS and how they ended up in this nightmare of a quagmire.

People come to the boards for different reasons, which are as varied as the posters themselves. The deceptive posters are the dangerous posters. These posters earn a salary and not a wage. These posters use these boards to exploit the worries and fears of the already downtrodden U employee for their own personal agenda. This agenda is not good for the U employee and with their short history it’s a proven fact not even good for the company either.

All of these so called employee posters calling for sanity and to please listen to this management team’s pep rally for more concessions is pathetic, sad and shows just how much of a handle they have on this sinking ship. They are trying their best to instill the fear of God into you, but believe it, they themselves are full of fear, for their reputations are on the line. They are full of the fear that the hardliners might just make a difference stopping them in their tracks. They have proven ten fold how much they can be trusted, so don’t trust them!

They are on these boards in full force trying to squelch the posters they see as threats to their end game. Why would you trust such people that deal out tons of punishment on the employees but yet are immune to any kind of accountability for the mess they have gotten U into?

You test positive just once for drugs and you are history, you come to work a couple times one minute late and you are in big trouble, but they can turn your life upside down, put the company in peril and not be held accountable, in fact get praises from the money people.

So, wake up people and read these boards with a very leery eye, realizing what forces are at work. These forces don’t like the light, let that signal be a big hint as to who they are and why they are here.

Very true. They have arrived and are out to maximize their "shareholder value" at any expense to the employee.

I can only speculate at this point, but I must say that USA330pilot is on to something when he speaks of an ICT. The writing is on the wall that something is brewing, and concession #3 is only a small part of this puzzle. It will come together, soon. Can't put my finger on it, but I can smell it in the air......

Ponder this.... ALG and Piedmont will merge, and what will happen to the "flying certificate" that belongs to ALG?

MAA does not have its own certificate and this was the sole reason for the switch from "wholly owned" to "Division" back in Winter of 2002 and concession #2 a year ago. Well, things surely do change, and so do the rules.

Me thinks something is about to be announced in 90 days, and I don't believe "mainline employees" are part of this equation. OH, don't get me wrong, managment needs mainline employees to open contracts and concede....I believe it makes for a mighty fine price to sell off mainline in peices or as whole. In my estimation and experience here, managment looks at this labor as "getting older" as a work force, topped out, and needs to vanish. AFA is having a hard time in negotiations disussing and "volunary flow through" with this managment from mainline. They don't move off the issue that THEY believed MAA was for a "soft landing " for INVOLUNTARY furloughees. Of course, that is where the junior work force is, and then its hiring off the street.

Something tells me that management is up to no good and will use mainline employees to fit "their plan" and finalize their mission.

MAA, will be the new "Group, Inc". I called it first.

PITbull-

You are absolutely correct in thinking as you are. You and I have both been thinking along these lines for awhile... They would love to spin off MAA (junior and new employees included) into its own entity (Allegheny certificate?), let US Airways ("mainline") go under, and then do one of two things.

*Put the Airbuses back at MAA, plus the name brand etc, and essentially start the entire airline over from scratch, wherever they want it- a "major" airline with a JetBlue workforce and an American Eagle contract.
OR

*Forget the long haul flying and the now-tarnished US Airways name (UA and Star can take care of that), and you have MidAtlantic Airways, the Star Alliances's low cost East Coast super-regional.

One of the above scenarios is the exact description of what they would like this airline to be. What will they stop at to achieve it? Sure, there would be many obstacles, but ask yourself.... why so much focus on this new entity? Why the insistence on keeping it seperate? Why so many jets ordered and so few places to expand to? Anyone wondering where these literally hundreds of jets will be flying?

Why so little (next to nothing) mention of actual, mainline US Airways in these business plans (only "Express") except in concessions? Why so little regard for the brand? Why such outright stupidity from above as if purposely trying to run the airline into the ground? Why all of the "mainline expressing" etc of stations, and continued desire to shrink the mainline employee count as much as contractually possible, and as quiclkly as possible (40% and counting gone in only two years)?

This time they may not actually be trying to sell it, just pull the rug out from underneath it and rebuild it from the ground up.

It sounds crazy but is not impossible... I've said before, see Swissairs's regional Crossair becoming the current mainline Swiss Air Lines. It's sad, but to think like them you have to look at the slimiest, most underhanded ideas. PIT, I'm surprised we're the only ones who've brought this up!

Its mad MAD M A D I tell you!!!!!! But... it could be plausible. Has a sinister ring of truth to it. Management in this company has ruled this company for some time by instilling fear in the employees. The corporate culture has not changed one iota and they are still trying to ride on the coattails of said fear. Even now, there is no light at the end of this tunnel and working at U must be like trying to bail out the ocean with a spoon-you know what the end result will probably be so why unload everything or anything at the company's request? I am recognizing the insidious posters described at the beginning of this post. How can they sleep at night? How can they peacefully tuck their children in at night knowing what they are doing to their fellow employees' children who are affected by what is happening at their parents' workplace? The saddest thing is that there is no conscience. And no honor.

When you begin to think of MAA/AL/PI (whenever and however THAT all turns out) as replacement, as opposed to expansion, the plan becomes clear.

I believe there will be very few, if any mainline employees left standing.

And given CCY's inability to convince any of us this is not the endgame, then

"full pay to the last day" is actually the only logical response.

All,
You are missing the point on the ALG certificate. I don't believe ALG is certificated to fly anything larger than a 50 seater. You can't just "transfer" the certificate to MAA. There would still be a training and approval process that is as cumbersome as getting a brand new certificate. I just wonder if somehow MAA will be like Crossair, and go from flying ERJ 170's to A330's.
4lowed

I'm not sure I understand it all but this scenario to me seems to be the most realistic thing but i would have never thought of swiss/crossair to be played out at usairways but then again i forgot that we have a very HIGHLY INCOMPETENT mgmt team running the airline into the hole that gets deeper and deeper.

I'm not sure about the details of air certificates, but remember DCAir, the UA/US merger spinoff?

US Airways started Potomac Air, a W/O with Dash 8s, which was eventually going to become DCAir with CRJs, F100s and 737s. When the merger fell through the company was dissolved.

Initially, MidAtlantic was to use this same certificate as it was not being used. I think they found it would be easier and quicker to put it on the mainline certificate (making it the "Embraer Division" of US Airways in the eyes of the FAA).

756pro said:
The deceptive posters are the dangerous posters. These posters earn a salary and not a wage.

You test positive just once for drugs and you are history...
I couldn't resist.
1. Just because one earns a "salary" and not an hourly wage doesn't make him or her the devil and it doesn't mean the person hasn't made a significant sacrifice. Many "salaried" people make less than "hourly" people.

2. Duh. Shouldn't one lose one's job if one tests positive for drugs? This is an airline we're talking about, not the guy who hands out shoes at a bowling alley! Safety, anyone?

NCFL said:
756pro said:
The deceptive posters are the dangerous posters. These posters earn a salary and not a wage.

You test positive just once for drugs and you are history...
I couldn't resist.
1. Just because one earns a "salary" and not an hourly wage doesn't make him or her the devil and it doesn't mean the person hasn't made a significant sacrifice. Many "salaried" people make less than "hourly" people.

2. Duh. Shouldn't one lose one's job if one tests positive for drugs? This is an airline we're talking about, not the guy who hands out shoes at a bowling alley! Safety, anyone?
Shouldn't one be fired for lying to employees and losing millions daily?

I’d say that is way worse than smoking a doobie.

Latest posts