"Market Rate" for US AMT'S

brokenwrench

Senior
Oct 27, 2006
www.amfadelta.com
July 23, 2006]
Resurgence of US Airways a merging of East and West
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/07/23/1726502.htm
The airline will pay its employees fairly, but it cannot afford to let labor costs get out of control, Parker said. "We want contracts that allow us to retain the best employees in the business," he said. "We are at market rate. We're at the level it takes to allow us to retain the best people in the industry.“

From Alaska/AMFA contract:
Article 23 states in part:
“R. The Company’s pay philosophy is to pay all employee market based wages and desires to be consistent with
This philosophy for all employees. In a mutual desire to confirm our commitment, the Company and AMFA agree to open
The contract on an annual basis to review the mechanics relative position both within the Company and the Market for a
Period of ten (10) days (or less).â€￾ (Emphasis added)

US pay is a least 20% BELOW what Alaska management considers market rate

[/quote]

I'm still trying to figure out what an average market rate mechanic, minus 20%, is. So that I can set my performance target accordingly. I would hate to exceed any expectations as that would not be rewarded.

I've heard this from Parker before and it appears that he has become so accustomed to repeating it to anyone that will listen that it now just slides of his tongue.

Parker is either a liar or he is being lied to.
His so called "Market Rate" does not allow us to retain the best people in the industry, In fact Maint. labor and managment are leaving for better paying jobs every day. The new hires that this "Market Rate" attracts come with no experience and seldom stay very long.

He can call it what he likes but, It's not a "Market Rate" it's a Bankruptcy Rate. :down:

linemech.

AMFA? Sorry, it is/was a very good try. Moving in the right direction. Just not quite , so to speak. Caught between the old unions and the ATA is definitely the old rock and a hard place routine. I understand Mr. Parker, or was it Mr. Seagel(sp), that said something to the effect that they aren't going to bring our mechanic wages up but that they are going to bring the mech's at the other airlines down to our level.
AMT's are Aircraft (or Airline) WORKERS, lumped in with anybody else that works in the vicinity of an airplane or it's parts. Workers not professionals. Professional workers, perhaps, for some. Most folks don't mind paying for a (one) professional:Doctor, Dentist, Nurse, Lawyer, Pilot, Auto Tech, Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, etc. but you usually only need one.
In this industry you need hundreds, with deep experience and many skills just to keep the aircraft safe and operational, much less clean and convenient. You only need one tech to maintain your Benz! And if you can afford it, a detail guy to clean it. I don't think you want a tech on 'flat rate' or a Jiffy Lube guy working on your airplane. But I'm beginning to wonder.
NASA treats their folks that work the shuttle, etc., very well as the lives of the crew are important and the trip is dangerous. Shouldn't we give the same priority to loading our families and friends into an aircraft and sending them to forty thousand feet above the earth?
Sorry to rant.

I'm still trying to figure out what an average market rate mechanic, minus 20%, is. So that I can set my performance target accordingly. I would hate to exceed any expectations as that would not be rewarded.
Hey Parker wants "Cost Neutral" so I give "Effort Neutral" -10%!

Hey Parker wants "Cost Neutral" so I give "Effort Neutral" -10%!

You know, let's face it. There was a time in the not so distant past where I felt 100% safe flying on a mainline US Airways flight. There was an absolute commitment to safety, and wages that ensured the AMT's were proud of their profession, which bred an ownership interest in the quality of their work. The recent changes to wages have changed the equation, and while I don't believe safety should ever take a back seat to wages and working conditions, the conditions that are now present surely leave the door open for abuse.

Company risk managers must have a difficult time sleeping at night with this knowledge. It's unconscionable how management can be allowed to take their eye off the safety ball and allow things to progress to the current level.

I'm looking to return to an airline mechanic position. Have decades of airline and aircraft experience. Will require 38 to 45 dollars/hour and benefits/perks to leave my current high tech position. Serious inquires only. Note: Not willing to relocate.

Just wanted to add - exceptable starting salary - 38/hr for days, weekends off, indoors, to 45/hr for nights, weekends, outdoors. Offer won't last - inflation rising.

The company has offered a slap in the face to the M&R, they just want to transition the West to the East CBA, the info will be posted on the 142 webpage later today.

The company has offered a slap in the face to the M&R, they just want to transition the West to the East CBA, the info will be posted on the 142 webpage later today.
Why did the union call the company proposal extensive? The only thing extensive was the amount of time it will take to complete the "Operational Employee Intergration". From what I gathered it could take over 1.5 years. The union has till April '07 to submit the intergrated senority list and then IF the company agrees with it they have upto an additional 12 months to complete the "OEI". And the part about excess management getting lead jobs with full senority is ludicrous! The End

I would say they called it extensive as they company addressed every article in the contract.

Latest posts