MD-80 damaged by pushback tug

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
accrding to wbal tv nbc  an md-80 got hit by a pushback tug.   the nose of the plane  and the pushback are damaged  an airline employee was hurt

thanks rog   I did not see that til you pointed it out.  but by the pic  it looks like the plane be out of service for a while to come

After looking at a picture over on A.net, it appears as if the towbar may have became disconnected from the pushback. You can clearly see that end of the bar off to the rh side. Having used this type of equipment in the past, I'm going to say that the pin on the pushback may have not been properly in place from the start. Any towbar that I have seen let go has been at the opposite end by the nose gear. Just my two cent opinion.
I studied the picture a bit more, but I can't get a clear enough of a look to see if the towbar has any damage on the pushback end. I have never has one break there, but anything is possible. It also looks like the distance on the bar indicates that it's still attached to the aircraft.

A lot of people attempt to hook up on their own, and as a result they don't get it pin to drop all of the way where the bar hooks to the pushback. They have intentions of moving it a notch later, but may forget. In most cases it will drop all of the way down as soon as you move, but not in all cases.

Looks like it got into the pressure bulkhead, probably another early retirement to Roswell.

Reactions: 1 person
That is why I always made it a point to walk around the tug and step over the front to get into or on the cab. I would always check the pin at the tug, the steering bypass pin, and the inter phone connection....even if I was the one who hooked it up when the aircraft arrived at the get.

As a lead, I have had my concourse mechanics borrow the tug to push another aircraft and fail to hook it up properly, hence an accident like this. Luckily ours did not result in damage. Just a gentle "ease on the brakes please captain, the tow bar has disconnected".

On another note, I was on a 4 man crew that repaired damage very similar to this from a tug. Took us 4 days of 12 hour shifts.

Here is a picture, not sure how large the attachment will be.

Attachments

• php1KSRzx.jpeg
    php1KSRzx.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 194
BWI. Outsourced ground operation. Yes?
Looks like she hammered the gas or jumped the gear hooking the tow-bar up. Just my guess.

BWI. Outsourced ground operation. Yes?
Looks like she hammered the gas or jumped the gear hooking the tow-bar up. Just my guess.
American Eagle Ground Handling does the ramp at BWI.