Mda/republic

EmbPilot

Jul 10, 2005
I just read on another website "flightinfo" the following. I found this info to be quite interesting.

"IF the MDA pilots win the arbitration they will be mergered at REP/CHQ/S5 on the Pilot seniority list (per the Allegheny/Mohawk)... plus they MUST give up any recall rights at U. They will also be required to become members of the IBT747. ALPA will be a thing of the past for these pilots. Its not gonna be a j4j type thing where you keep any recall... You will be working for a new certificate as just another pilot."

I doubt they would have to give up recall rights. That type of thing is actually illegal, no one can make you give it up. Keep in mind flightinfo is made up of very young commuter pilots who have boobie pics for avatars and think they are owner of the world's largest manhood because they are an RJ captain.

I don't think any US EMB170 pilot would have a problem not being represented by ALPA during thier stint at Republic.

If they do win the arbitration, it would likely accelerate the aircraft transition from US Airways to Republic as they'd have pilots, furloughing the F/As much earlier than anticipated.

I doubt they would have to give up recall rights. That type of thing is actually illegal, no one can make you give it up. Keep in mind flightinfo is made up of very young commuter pilots who have boobie pics for avatars and think they are owner of the world's largest manhood because they are an RJ captain.

I don't think any US EMB170 pilot would have a problem not being represented by ALPA during thier stint at Republic.

If they do win the arbitration, it would likely accelerate the aircraft transition from US Airways to Republic as they'd have pilots, furloughing the F/As much earlier than anticipated.

It would be just as easy to pigeonhole the people making up usaviation as a bunch of nasty bitter skyhags, selfrighteous 'mainline' pilots, and elitest chairmans club members
(at least as far as the usairways section goes since i don't peruse the others) with only a cursory examination of the goings on here but that would be a wholly unfair assement wouldn't you agree?
(no personal references were made here, just generalizations, heck, not even that, more like broad characatures{sp?}, i've enjoyed many of your posts LY, and even more of your avatars lol, some of which, if memory serves, included some amount of 'boobies', even shaking ones :p )

I just read on another website "flightinfo" the following. I found this info to be quite interesting.

"IF the MDA pilots win the arbitration they will be mergered at REP/CHQ/S5 on the Pilot seniority list (per the Allegheny/Mohawk)... plus they MUST give up any recall rights at U. They will also be required to become members of the IBT747. ALPA will be a thing of the past for these pilots. Its not gonna be a j4j type thing where you keep any recall... You will be working for a new certificate as just another pilot."

All true except the part about resigning seniority... IBT would be a welcome change, ALPA has no supporters among the MDA pilots. The merger would be in large part be exactly the same, but on a much smaller scale as HP/AAA transaction.

ALL OR NONE!

SH

PS. ALL OR NONE is not a slogan against a group, it is a slogan FOR a group.

I doubt they would have to give up recall rights. That type of thing is actually illegal, no one can make you give it up.

Under what circumstances would it be illegal? The reason I am asking is that several of my friends who went to work for other airlines--ATA, for one--while we were furloughed, were required to sign a letter of resignation from AA before they could enter training/graduate/go on the payroll (there was one of each occurrence).

Resigning causes you to lose your recall rights, obviously.

US Airways does not honor resignation letters while on furlough if you request. Keep in mind in many departments (F/As), there are more furloughed than flying.

People returned to MAA from Southwest, ATA, Omni, America West... clearly they kept thier recall. I think it depends on how you play the game.

And I can't imagine a company really being able to make you forfiet the possibility of a future job with a former employer. It's not a conflict of interest at the flight attendant level.

US Airways does not honor resignation letters while on furlough if you request. Keep in mind in many departments (F/As), there are more furloughed than flying.

People returned to MAA from Southwest, ATA, Omni, America West... clearly they kept thier recall. I think it depends on how you play the game.

And I can't imagine a company really being able to make you forfiet the possibility of a future job with a former employer. It's not a conflict of interest at the flight attendant level.

At the Flight Attendant level this is true; however, I am not sure the pilots have the same provision about resignations not being honored at U.

This is not true. Republic and Bedford have stated both in emails and in the transaction agreement that they will abide by the terms of LOA 91. LOA 91 states that under a 'change of control' scenario that ALPA representation goes along with the pilots. So that is fact - if the IBT wants to negotiate something to the contrary then that is for a future discussion. But the IBT has not been willing to negotiate anything concerning this transaction for 6 months now - I wouldn't expect the MDA pilots to be very receptive to any overtures from them if we win the grievance.

According to the IBT the grievance has no merit anyway. Wonder if the arbitrator feels the same way?

Maybe...... Yes, LOA 91 does say ALPA will represent the MDA pilots. However, the IBT has a "single carrier" ruling which also requires that all pilots be represented under a single contract. ALPA would (as much as they ever do) represent the MDA pilots in the integration process. Then however, a common contract and then union would have to be chosen by the membership. This is per the RLA, which is law, not any single pilots working agreement.

Would the membership choose ALPA? The MDA contract is clearly a better contract, but what who isn't aware of ALPA's track record in regard to regional carriers.... Anyone remember what happened to CCAir when offered a 90 seat pay rate, DW wouldn't sign it. How about the MDA pilots themselves, we all know how great their representation with exception of maybe the grievance chair and a couple of LEC reps.

ALL OR NONE!

SH

SH,

You are correct sir. The IBT contract provides for "single carrier" under the Republic Airways Holdings umbrella. The Holding Co. is bound by this under LOA 5, under the IBT contract.

The IBT contract states that all mergers and/or acquisitions will be handled per the RLA and Allegheny/Mohawk LPP's. This includes a referendum and vote upon Union Representation. The Union Representation decision (I believe) is the first in a series of things to take place. After representation, contract amalgamation and seniority integration would take place. The previous two paragraphs apply provided that ALPA/MAA are successful in their greivance against USAirways.

Those are the facts, now lets look at the rationale provided ALPA wins the greivance.

The CHQ/REP/S5 seniority list has 1400 pilots. MAA has approx. 300 pilots. A vote would occur combining those two groups for 1700 pilots voting on whether the IBT or ALPA would become the representing Union.

After this the Allegheny/Mohawk provision would be put in place. The Seniority Integration committee from CHQ (the combined seniority list of CHQ/REP/S5 is still called the Chautauqua Pilots' System Seniority List)would meet with their counterparts from MAA in the effort of Negotiating a Combined seniority list. Should this become a stalemate then both parties would select a neutral arbitrator using a strike off method.

The arbitrator would then decide a "fair and equitable" integration.

As far as the IBT being willing to negotiate for the past 6 months:

I was part of the contigent that was to negotiate with ALPA. We initially offered ALPA 100% of the jobs which comes with the MAA aircraft. The next 25 airplanes were to be staffed of of the CHQ list until the 50% ratio was reached under J4J. We approached ALPA. Our IBT representatives met with Bill Pollock. This included our attorney Gene Sowell and EC Chairman Gordon Moore.

AAA MEC Chairman Pollock respondd to our offer saying they wanted in-base 1 for 1 integration a la PSA. However, they would only insist on 50% of the jobs per J4J for the first 25 airplanes provided they got in-base integration.

Our Committee responded by a counter-proposal which included our former AND pay longevity. ALPA responded by asking for straight MAA DOH.

We felt that at that time ALPA continuously tried to avoid the provisions which agreed to in J4J which was voted on by their membership. In order to change those allowances under our IBT contract a vote would have to be sent out. Anything which would change the IBT contract MUST be voted on by its membership. We felt we did not have the support of our pilot group to change our contract to allow in-base seniority integration or straight DOH.

It was at this time that ALPA threatened us with the greivance against USAirways. Using that tone we backed away from negotiations. Our job is to look out for the best interests of our pilot group (CHQ) and this is what we did.

Now saying all of this I do feel for the MAA plight. At no time during the negotiations with AAA ALPA was a MAA representative (pilot) present. The IBT was not sinister toward MAA and OFFERED 100% of the jobs to the current MAA pilots. I have said this on another thread. Someone reputted those facts but never backed them up with the evidence he said he would provide and the thread died. I have no reason to hide or lie and I post my name behind what I say.

Now, we hope that as many MAA guys as possible will come over. We will welcome them and I think they will be a great addition to our pilot group. Their experience in this industry and aircraft will enhance all of us. I am hoping we can help them as well (probably help them stand back up from being bent over for so long).

I know a few of the MAA pilots have been led into believing the IBT blew off MAA. I am here to tell you that is definitely not true. I have no reason to lie. It really does not make a difference at this point.

I am the Former Strike CHairman and Pilot Rep, yet I have been called a scab numerous times in the past couple of months. If you are venting, please re-read this and consider who you should be venting too.

Ladies and Gentlemen from MAA good luck. I hope a year from now this is all behind us.

Sincerely,

Dan Sneddon

By the way. Reublic Airways Holdings/CHQ has never made a pilot give up his seniority to work here. Now whether that seniority would still exist at USAirways after a seniority integration at RAH, I do not know the answer.

Dan

Well said. You are not a scab, and yes emotions are running a little high around the MDA camp. Seeing those two "Star Alliance" 170's flying around under a different call sign is a tough thing and also in violation of the Star Alliance agreement.

Most all MDA pilots know the AAA MEC Chairman has the integrity of a snake, and has lied when bothered to comment in any way.

The MDA pilots will win the grievance, it will be announced prior to 15 November, of this year, and the process will then move forward as you stated. I for one am looking forward to it.

SH