Dec 3, 2005
New Hampshire
http://origin.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_7153675

SEAL to get utmost honor
Officer led Dietz in Afghanistan
By Kieran Nicholson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/12/2007 06:06:26 AM MDT

Lt. Michael Murphy, 29, a Navy SEAL who was killed in June 2005, will be the first to get the Medal of Honor for combat in Afghanistan. (U.S. Navy)A Navy SEAL who led Littleton's Danny Dietz in battle in Afghanistan will receive the nation's highest military award, the Medal of Honor.

Lt. Michael P. Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., is the first Medal of Honor recipient for combat in Afghanistan, the U.S. Navy said in a statement Thursday.

Murphy, Dietz, 25, and a third Navy SEAL, Matthew G. Axelson, 29, of Cupertino, Calif., died June 28, 2005, fighting al-Qaeda guerrillas.

Dietz's parents, Dan and Cindy Dietz, will attend the Oct. 22 award ceremony at the White House honoring Murphy.

"We are very proud of all the guys," Cindy Dietz said. "They all made the ultimate sacrifice."

Dietz and Axelson have posthumously been awarded the Navy Cross.

In a firefight in which their four-man reconnaissance team was heavily outnumbered, Murphy, already wounded, moved from cover into the open to radio a call for help. Taking and returning fire, Murphy, shot through the back, completed his call, leading to the rescue of a severely wounded team member, Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Marcus Luttrell, and eventually the recovery of the remains of Dietz, Axelson and Murphy himself.

Murphy's father, Daniel, will accept the award on behalf of his son, the Navy said.

Also during the 2005 ambush by more than 30 al-Qaeda guerrillas, a Chinook helicopter tried to rescue the crew. The helicopter was shot down, killing all 16 aboard, including eight SEALs and eight Army Special Forces members.

The Murphy family, in a statement to the Navy, said they're "thrilled ... because there is now a public recognition of what we knew all along about Michael's loyalty, devotion and sacrifice to his friends, family, country, and especially his SEAL teammates."

Awarded by the president in the name of Congress, the Medal of Honor was created in 1861 as a personal award of valor for members of the Navy, according to the Navy statement posted Thursday on its website. Soon thereafter, another version was created for the Army, and ultimately the Medal of Honor was presented to more than 1,500 Civil War veterans.

Cindy Dietz said she is looking forward to seeing Murphy's family again, whom she met at the Navy Cross ceremony, and renewing the special bond they share.

"We are proud and happy for them," Cindy Dietz said of the Murphys. "They suffered the same loss we did. I'm sure they are very devastated as we are, and also very proud as we are."

Kieran Nicholson: 303-954-1822 or [email protected].

I just finished reading Sole Survivor which was written by member of the team that managed to slip out of the Taliban’s grasp. They were not ambushed; the team knew they were going to be attacked. In addition they were attacked by a lot more that thirty. Ironically what led up to the whole thing was that some Afghan sheep herders stumbled onto their position. Lt Murphy let them go; even though it was likely they would run off and tell the local Taliban. As we all know that's exactly what happened.

Talk about a no win situation. Had they killed them it was likely Lt Murphy and his team would have gotten away. However they could have technically been charged with murder. Let them go and they basically signed their own death warrant

I just finished reading Sole Survivor which was written by member of the team that managed to slip out of the Taliban’s grasp. They were not ambushed; the team knew they were going to be attacked. In addition they were attacked by a lot more that thirty. Ironically what led up to the whole thing was that some Afghan sheep herders stumbled onto their position. Lt Murphy let them go; even though it was likely they would run off and tell the local Taliban. As we all know that's exactly what happened.

Talk about a no win situation. Had they killed them it was likely Lt Murphy and his team would have gotten away. However they could have technically been charged with murder. Let them go and they basically signed their own death warrant

I had the privilege to hear Lt. Murphy tell the story on a local talk radio station a while back and it nearly brought me to tears to hear how he and his buddies stood their ground even though they knew the odds were stacked against them, Yet they had the heart to let those local goat herders walk away knowing full well it could compromise their position.

Yea we're some real cold blooded bastards huh?

I had the privilege to hear Lt. Murphy tell the story on a local talk radio station a while back and it nearly brought me to tears to hear how he and his buddies stood their ground even though they knew the odds were stacked against them, Yet they had the heart to let those local goat herders walk away knowing full well it could compromise their position.

Yea we're some real cold blooded bastards huh?

You must be thinking of HM2 Marcus Luttrell. Lt Murphy was awarded the CMH posthumously.

Latest posts

Back