Merged Thoughts

Winglet said:
A US Air and UAL merger will make the AA-TWA seniority integration look like a big birthday party. Just like the AA -TWA asset buy . . . . AA pilots were worried and apprehensive (for good reason) about acquiring a dead-in-the-water company like TWA, while at TWA there were whoops and hollars of joy when the acquisition was announced. I think the exact same thing would be true of a U - UAL merger. Whoops of joy from U pilots and "oh, sh**s from UAL pilots.
Ya know,

That is an very bold statement coming from someone who works for a bankrupt airline. I hate to break the news to you, butt lots of interesting things may be in your future as well, prior to, as well as after bankruptcy.

People who live in glass houses....

merger thoughts ... i wonder what a UAL employee would think????
lets see we have 10s of thousands of employees laid off as well
we have planes parked too
we have excess seat capacity too.

actually we have enough assets hard and soft to completely fly UAIRs entire flight schedule with our own planes and people end result we instantly become profitable with the immediate increase in passenger traffic.

explain to me again why we need 20 year old 737s and 16year copilots? thats what i thought we do not need them to service the routes, we have our own planes, people, res centers, training centers, ticket counters, jetways, deicing equipment, ground equipment...well you get the idea.

what exactly is the crown jewel UAL must have that they themselves already dont possess? (ok the shuttle) actually only the slots are required.

i call your collective attentions to the AMR/TWA "merger" buy the assets at a discount then remove almost all the employees retaining the hard assets to be worked by AMR employees.

:ph34r:

the best option for this company always has and always will be to focus on the job at hand moving people from a to b and do so in such a manner the customer is happy the employees have secure employment and the company turns a profit. guess what if you do that the "merger" wont need to occur and even if it did it would then command a premium. more over i submitt do it fast enough and UAIR could end up with UAL assets then dictate the terms. trust me DOH is not in the cards period. think 7/1 slotting. at the very best should this ever come to past.

bottom line here, once again like managment the collective eye is off the ball, forget mergers, RUN THE AIRLINE first. all else will fall in place

:eek: Do any of you realize that you are playing right into the hands of the fantasy man here? He stirs, either directly or indirectly, the UCT/ICT/FCT pot and all just jump right into it. He then gets to sit back, fire up the computer, read the chaos he has orchestrated (on a micro level) and chuckle. Perhaps you should hesitate in responding rather than provide the master of make believe any further smug satisfaction. :blink:

This topic is once again interesting, but let's look at a few facts:

1. The initial post in the Merged Thoughts thread was primarily cut and paste comments by US Airways' top two officers.

2. Whenever a merger comment is mentioned on this forum, United employees post a rebuttal almost within minutes. What's intriguing is the interest in US Airways by United employees.

3. I rarely posted on the United forum until I was advised a certain United fan was a sophist when he reported on my comments. In response I began to post on the United board, however, some disgruntled United employees complained to the USaviation.com principals. Out of respect for the principals, I voluntarily withdrew from the United forum and have not returned, however, the United employees continue to "shoot the messenger" on this forum. I believe this is hypocritical.

4. During the past two merger attempts and in ERP I and ERP II, United ALPA attempted to obtain a pre-nuptial seniority agreement and then pre-nuptial seniority integration language in their contract, which would have violated ALPA Merger Policy.

Separately, what's the career expectation of a bankrupt company?

During the past few months when this subject has been broached, I have said that a corporate transaction is not imminent and before a deal could proceed US Airways must stabilize itself first. Then a deal could proceed, with the likely candidate United in either a KLM-AF type of deal, a merger, or a UCT derivative.

Meanwhile, during the past week the Charlotte Observer reported David Bronner said, "If you stay in the red, you sell assets. Once you get in the black, it's a new game," he said. Bronner continued, "But if the airline turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets." Bronner emphasized that he is not a typical corporate investor who is "in to get anything and everything we can."

What's interesting is that if Bronner elects to have RSA acquire other airline assets, this may not come with employees, especially since a bankrupt airline pilot contract does not require pilots be transferred with the assets unless more than 50% of the company's assets are divested.

Also noteworthy, last Thursday Aviation Daily reported Dave Siegel said that domestic consolidation is "inevitable" during the next few years. He predicts a U.S. market with two or three strong hub-and-spoke carriers providing international service with broad networks, and then a "swarm" of low-cost carriers battling it out in high-density markets. After his speech, Siegel said the US Airways assets "will participate in the consolidation process," but not much else unless the airline is able to lower its costs to competitive levels. If it can't cut costs, "we will be the awkward teenager at the school dance, hoping someone will come talk to us, but going home disappointed and lonely."

Thus, USA320Pilot asks, if one believes that "domestic consolidation is inevitable" and US Airways and its employees must have a competitive cost structure to participate in the consolidation, then when would now be a good time for management and the unions to negotiate the labor portion of the "Going Forward (Business) Plan?"

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

[USA320Pilot Posted on Feb 28 2004, 11:12 PM QUOTE]Separately, what's the career expectation of a bankrupt company?[/QUOTE]

Probably better than the soon to be liquidated companys

Please do not start a new topic to discuss items in a topic already being discussed. This one is going to be merged with the other one. Then we can have merged merged thoughts.

For those parties interested in the long-term success of US Airways, in my opinion, the three most important points in this thread are:

1. Dave Siegel said last week that domestic consolidation is "inevitable".

2. Dave Bronner recently said, “if the airline (US Airways) turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets."

3. USA320Pilot asked if one believes that "domestic consolidation is inevitable" and US Airways and its employees must have a competitive cost structure to participate in the pending consolidation, then when would now be a good time for management and the unions to negotiate the labor portion of the "Going Forward (Business) Plan?"

Resepctfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
1. Dave Siegel said last week that domestic consolidation is "inevitable".

2. Dave Bronner recently said, “if the airline (US Airways) turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets."

3. USA320Pilot asked if one believes that "domestic consolidation is inevitable" and US Airways and its employees must have a competitive cost structure to participate in the pending consolidation, then when would now be a good time for management and the unions to negotiate the labor portion of the "Going Forward (Business) Plan?"

Resepctfully,

USA320Pilot
1. Perhaps, but not necessarily. Even under the best economic, fiscally productive times and global circumstances the consolidation that you may envision and dream about may not be that which Mr. Siegel has been alluding.

2. Acquiring assets could mean a multitude of things, again, not necessarily the things that make your head spin with joy.

3. Ugh! That syntax! When would be the most appropriate time for all labor groups to meet with management to devise the compromise plan to move forward productively?

Best of Luck - seriously - I mean that.

USA320Pilot said:
"Going Forward (Business) Plan?"

Resepctfully,

USA320Pilot
Dave Siegel's informed decision-making comes from a long tradition of guessing and then blaming others for inadequate results.

Time rushes towards us with its hospital tray of infinitely varied narcotics, even while it is preparing us for its inevitably fatal operation.

To die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly. Death of one's own free choice, death at the proper time, with a clear head and with joyfulness, consummated in the midst of children and witnesses: so that an actual leave-taking is possible while he who is leaving is still there. "The U employee"

USA320Pilot said:
What's intriguing is the interest in US Airways by United employees.
It sure is a good thing that as a U employee, you are not obsessed with another airline then. That would make you look hypocritical...

Fly said:
Why don't you write your comments on the United board instead of frequenting the US Airways board?

Because we CAN!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha Not a darn thing you can do about it either.

p.s. - If we open the same topic under different threads, they will be merged anyway.
I thought you had to be 18 to post on the board?

AAviator said:
USA320pilot,

Just wondering if you care to comment on the link posted above.

At that point (1999) your were quoting the same "informed sources," with just as much emotion as you do now, about an inevitable merger between USAir and American Airlines.

That obviously never occured. Are we all supposed to believe your speculations now? How many years have you been obsessed with the thoughts of a merger with a big airline with big airplanes and a worldwide route structure? 5 years? Maybe more?

Now THAT's interesting...

767jetz said:
AAviator said:
USA320pilot,

Just wondering if you care to comment on the link posted above.

At that point (1999) your were quoting the same "informed sources," with just as much emotion as you do now, about an inevitable merger between USAir and American Airlines.

That obviously never occured. Are we all supposed to believe your speculations now? How many years have you been obsessed with the thoughts of a merger with a big airline with big airplanes and a worldwide route structure? 5 years? Maybe more?

Now THAT's interesting...
Whats really interesting is your obsession with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its like a cult follower.... You must really enjoy his postings because you follow him like a star.

Lets all make a deal. All the girls and boys at UAL post on your own board and we at US will stay on ours.

Latest posts