Merit System

410OhOne

Advanced
Dec 30, 2002
This time around for layoffs lets do things a little different. Begin by asking yourself the question, Have I worked with or come across someone who has no business being here, they are dangerous, non productive, illegal, etc?
Merit System,
Riding the pine just isn''t going to cut it anymore. Job security through seniority alone will be tough when the following system is adopted.
Points will be totalled from the following categories. High person stays.
1. Longevity- 5 pts per calendar year based on your co. seniority date. (See your seniority is worth something)
2. Sick Days accumulated- 1 pt for each day in the bank at the time of notice. No excuses, no doctors note, everyone recieves the same amount so everyone has the same opportunities. Again I read a little seniority here, longevity equals more sick days.
3. Civilian education- Yes, we should reward those who have gone on and received an education for their own good. Our company does benefit from the right people.
-Masters or Higher-50 pts
-Bachelor Degree- 25 pts
-Associates Degree-15 pts
-10-60 hours -10 pts
-1-9 hours - 5 pts
I know, you have all worked with someone on the docks with a sheepskin, but lets give credit where credit is due.
4. Cross Training Credit- Individuals bringing experience from within other departments are a valuable asset and thus should be rewarded. Example, A flightline mechanic finished his A&P while working as a flight attendant. Upon finishing he was able to understand as a mechanic the need for attention to detail in the cabin.
-Each additional department- 5 pts
5. Military Service- Give credit to those who have served and bring a special skill and work ethic to our industry.
-Honorable Discharge- 10 pts
6. Customer Service- This is why we are all here. So many times we have all witnessed someone going the extra mile and then soon recieving a nice letter. Give the letter some worth.
-Positive Letters (Customers) -2 pts
7. Job Performance- As members of each department we depend on each other to serve a quality product. Many have gone the extra mile and assembled a motorized wheelchair as a line mechanic or attended the gate agent position till the gate agent arrived. These people have received positive letters from their company peers. Lets reward them.
-Positive Letters (intercompany) 2pts
This is only a start toward making sure the correct people stay in position. They must be made cut and dry and bullet proof from both politics as well as company and union interpretation.
Let the discussions begin both pro and con. I think it will work, using the above criteria or some other criteria agreed upon as a group outside of the company and union walls.
This is my utopia. As mentioned in the other thread, Disgusted, we would have to find someone with a huge wallet or lottery to start our own airline. You will be surprised what we can establish with a great business plan.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 11:33:27 AM 410OhOne wrote:

Points will be totalled from the following categories. High person stays.

1. Longevity- 5 pts per calendar year based on your co. seniority date. (See your seniority is worth something)

true, but there is a LOT of dead weight hanging around every company with years of seniority. Oftentimes, with seniority, comes apathy. Seniority does not always the best employee make.

2. Sick Days accumulated- 1 pt for each day in the bank at the time of notice. No excuses, no doctors note, everyone recieves the same amount so everyone has the same opportunities. Again I read a little seniority here, longevity equals more sick days.

I like this one. This should be applied in every company across the country. You know there are serious sick time abuses at AA, which is why Carty sent out his plea of not abusing it a short while ago. Damn fine idea!

3. Civilian education- Yes, we should reward those who have gone on and received an education for their own good. Our company does benefit from the right people.

-Bachelor Degree- 25 pts
-10-60 hours -10 pts
-1-9 hours - 5 pts
I know, you have all worked with someone on the docks with a sheepskin, but lets give credit where credit is due.

I've never been a fan of book learnin' I tend to favor skill over paper. Remember, there are those who are just as skilled at their jobs as the paper-holder, but don't have the resources for any type of continuing education.

4. Cross Training Credit- Individuals bringing experience from within other departments are a valuable asset and thus should be rewarded. Example, A flightline mechanic finished his A&P while working as a flight attendant. Upon finishing he was able to understand as a mechanic the need for attention to detail in the cabin.

-Each additional department- 5 pts

wow! America West would love this one! Inter-departmental cross training goes a long way in stripping away job security - and busting morale

5. Military Service- Give credit to those who have served and bring a special skill and work ethic to our industry.

This one may be a deal breaker. There is a heavy GLBT presence not only at AA, but at every airline - and many of them are carrying dishonorable discharges because of it and would end up feeling slighted all for the sake of ten points

6. Customer Service- This is why we are all here. So many times we have all witnessed someone going the extra mile and then soon recieving a nice letter. Give the letter some worth.

-Positive Letters (Customers) -2 pts
Customers are revenue - and damn important. I'd jack this one up to 100 points

7. Job Performance- As members of each department we depend on each other to serve a quality product. Many have gone the extra mile and assembled a motorized wheelchair as a line mechanic or attended the gate agent position till the gate agent arrived. These people have received positive letters from their company peers. Lets reward them.

-Positive Letters (intercompany) 2pts

Since these are probably few and far between (now that AA has done a morale-busting kill off of it's AAchiever program) these kinds of letters should be worth more also.

This is only a start toward making sure the correct people stay in position. They must be made cut and dry and bullet proof from both politics as well as company and union interpretation.

Let the discussions begin both pro and con. I think it will work, using the above criteria or some other criteria agreed upon as a group outside of the company and union walls.

This is my utopia. As mentioned in the other thread, Disgusted, we would have to find someone with a huge wallet or lottery to start our own airline. You will be surprised what we can establish with a great business plan.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Good start. Now with any luck, the corporate spies on this board will be reporting back to the riff raff on all the comments made.

Nice idea for a thread topic - the investors that watch this board will be quite interested in how it progresses also.
***** ***** ***** ***** *****​

410OhOne Wrote;

-Bachelor Degree- 25 pts
-10-60 hours -10 pts
-1-9 hours - 5 pts

Wing wrote;

I've never been a fan of book learnin' I tend to favor skill over paper. Remember, there are those who are just as skilled at their jobs as the paper-holder, but don't have the resources for any type of continuing education.

I agree after reading your reply, in fact many degrees held may be unrelated. In our department we have CBT, computer based training. How bout 2 pts for each CBT course entered on your training record?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 12:50:14 PM Buck wrote:

How many points does a mechanic get for obtaining his/her Airframe and Powerplant licenses?

Or a welder for his skill or an Electrician or a Plumber?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Buck,

Please, you were hired based on your skill and license. Lose it and you probably don't have to worry about a point system anymore.

How many points does a mechanic get for obtaining his/her Airframe and Powerplant licenses?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 1:03:06 PM 410OhOne wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 12:50:14 PM Buck wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Buck,

Please, you were hired based on your skill and license. Lose it and you probably don't have to worry about a point system anymore.

----------------
[/blockquote]
So you are saying that the SRP/OSM classification would be exempt from this point system?

And if as you indicate that mechanics are hired based on their skill and license, then there is no reason for a mechanic to take a pay concession against their license.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 12:56:12 PM KCFlyer wrote:

How many points do you deduct from the MBA holder when they push when the door clearly says "Pull"?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Very Good KCFlyer,

As mentioned in other posts, in our utopia we will be very selective when choosing MBA's, prefer the working man, leaders, skilled, engineers, designers, and planners.

----------------
[/blockquote]
So you are saying that the SRP/OSM classification would be exempt from this point system?

And if as you indicate that mechanics are hired based on their skill and license, then there is no reason for a mechanic to take a pay concession against their license.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I am sorry Buck, I thought you were heading down the "I am skilled you are not road", I will be very careful from now on. Very good point, yes we should encourage those working without an A&P to obtain one. In fact, I am working at a line station now and I bet I will suffer to a senior osm. Is that correct?

Then by all means, yes having an A&P in our work group should def mean points.

Great Point.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 1:26:56 PM Buck wrote:

Yes you could be displaced by a senior OSM. This also will have bearing on many TWA mechanics who are unlicensed.

But hey we could just call them Company Suck A** points and base everyones livlihood on knee pads and desk work.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I am not getting your point. Do you feel we should promote getting the A&P or not? Do you feel a senior OSM should stay before an A&P? Please explain.

Yes you could be displaced by a senior OSM. This also will have bearing on many TWA mechanics who are unlicensed.

But hey we could just call them Company Suck A** points and base everyones livlihood on knee pads and desk work.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 1:30:23 PM 410OhOne wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
I am not getting your point. Do you feel we should promote getting the A&P or not? Do you feel a senior OSM should stay before an A&P? Please explain.
----------------
[/blockquote]
We should always promote getting an A&P. My opinion is that the OSM should not have existed in the first place. It the SRP program was a Company Union scam to gain more dues payers for the union at a lower wage for the company. The former junior mechanic program or a program of apprenticeship, was sufficent for young mechanics to gain the FAA requirements to obtain the licenses. If the apprenticeship program were in place, an A&P would be placed in front of the OSM, as the OSM in most cases would be junior in seniority anyway. In the case of the OSM being senior to the A&P, I believe the A&P should priority. You have to divide this in to a few catagories. Base Maintenance and what the union allows the licensing requirements to be. And the Line Mechanic where there should never be a program like the SRP/OSM classification. I feel that a non-licensed mechanic, no matter how skilled should begin his/her career under the guidance of a mechanic who has proven to the FAA they can meet the requirements for those licenses and be compensated accordingly.

If I speak Finnish is that woth more than Spanish? Spanish speakers are a dime a dozen in TX. I should get more for speaking English. I'm not good at rap speak.
Maybe seniority should go by age alone. After all I may have had to put up with 30yrs of BS mgt as opposed to 4 yrs of beer drinking, partying, sport playing BA people.
Just Wondering??

GLBT = Gay Lesbian Bi-Sexual Transgender

I do like the idea of merit or performance based RIF's.

It won't happen because everyone with an agenda will want to have special credit for their favorite causes, but I do like the idea of changing from something totally unbiased and neutral to something that would keep everyone wondering if they will be the next one RIF'd. That's how it has been in management since the beginning of time.....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/18/2003 12:07:15 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

This one may be a deal breaker. There is a heavy GLBT presence not only at AA, but at every airline - and many of them are carrying dishonorable discharges because of it and would end up feeling slighted all for the sake of ten points

----------------
[/blockquote]

Forgive me but what is "GLBT" ??

But for a Dishonorable Discharge FORFEIT 1000 points!