MIA Flights Cancel

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Yesterday, it was northwest, cancelling what was reported as hundreds of flights due to pilots being over their flying limits. Today, it's more of the same, only at AA in MIA. About a dozen flights were cancelled late this morning as they couldn't be crewed and more are expected not only later today, but throughout the weekend!

Next week many people will have a 5 day weekend and it could conceivably take AA several days to catch up with all the cancelled flight customers.

Of course, customers are being told "weather" but that excuse won't hold water for all destinations.

Crew Schedule here in DFW

and I have a few things to add. Over this entire month we have had more weather than I have ever seen in my 10 years in this department. So weather does have alot to do with the hours. But I also believe strongly that the shortage in staff has alot to do with it also.

It is a snowball effect. short staffed , lots of weather problems, and poor morale and a holiday coming up. It all adds up to cancellations.

I am not sure why we dont hire more back. But I wish we would.

Hvae a good holiday weekend for those of you who have it off. I for one will be fighting to keep planes staffed so our passengers get to their holiday vacations.

140-something cancellations systemwide so far today. 50 due to crew and the rest weather. (or so they say)

From AA.com:

Due to widespread bad weather that has disrupted our operation, as well as heavy holiday travel, most seats on June 28th are sold out and you may not be able to complete a booking on a desired flight. For current travel policies see Travel Notices.

That was a mouth-full for saying nothing.

Maybe AA should build an Ark like in Evan Almighty! :lol:

Base managers are asking for more staffing. Hopefully more recalls are in the near future. The training center is geared up and in full swing. Seems silly not to continue.

The operation is really stressed. Yesterday we were stuck in SAT along with two other complete crews and they cancelled a flight from SAT to STL as "unable to crew" while we were all sitting there with "sequence failed continuity" on our HI3's. Our Captain and one of the SAT employees tried to get the flight reinstataed, but were not successful.

"I am not sure why we dont hire more back."

"Base managers are asking for more staffing. Hopefully more recalls are in the near future. The training center is geared up and in full swing. Seems silly not to continue."

Again, I ask, why is APFA not clammering at this opportunity to get the 2000+ furloughed flight attendants back to work?

POOR REPRESENTATION!

:down:

"I am not sure why we dont hire more back."

"Base managers are asking for more staffing. Hopefully more recalls are in the near future. The training center is geared up and in full swing. Seems silly not to continue."

Again, I ask, why is APFA not clammering at this opportunity to get the 2000+ furloughed flight attendants back to work?

POOR REPRESENTATION!

:down:

Poor representation by APFA? Surely you jest. Just look at how well they did in the RPA ignoring the constitution, getting a revote to please the company, furloughing more than necessary, lying to the membership, etc..... Is it possible APFA has changed its ways?

Tomorrow 6/30 JFK to SFO is down to one flight from a normal 5 daily. Today only 3 flights. Crew shortage or other reasons?

Crew Schedule here in DFW

and I have a few things to add. Over this entire month we have had more weather than I have ever seen in my 10 years in this department. So weather does have alot to do with the hours. But I also believe strongly that the shortage in staff has alot to do with it also.

It is a snowball effect. short staffed , lots of weather problems, and poor morale and a holiday coming up. It all adds up to cancellations.

I am not sure why we dont hire more back. But I wish we would.

Hvae a good holiday weekend for those of you who have it off. I for one will be fighting to keep planes staffed so our passengers get to their holiday vacations.

Not sure that we are short staffed. A department store is not going to keep staffing at christmass levels year round. Staffing is based on the daily avg needs. Aside from this month, we have been doing fine with crewing flights.

My opinion is to first cull the sick list. AA needs to go through all the departments and start firing those who abuse the sick list and are dead weight. AA needs to go to court in each contested case if need be. Flight service needs to be culled as well. If you work in flight service, you are not an FA. No special assignments in flight service. It's a conflict of interest. Same with pilots, same with the ramp ...ect. Once that is done then AA can start bring back the furloughs to bring staffing up to regular levels. At that point, those who are working, will be working. The savings from getting rid of the dead weight would more than off set the cost of bringing back the TWA folks at full pay.

Not sure that we are short staffed. A department store is not going to keep staffing at christmass levels year round. Staffing is based on the daily avg needs. Aside from this month, we have been doing fine with crewing flights.

My opinion is to first cull the sick list. AA needs to go through all the departments and start firing those who abuse the sick list and are dead weight. AA needs to go to court in each contested case if need be. Flight service needs to be culled as well. If you work in flight service, you are not an FA. No special assignments in flight service. It's a conflict of interest. Same with pilots, same with the ramp ...ect. Once that is done then AA can start bring back the furloughs to bring staffing up to regular levels. At that point, those who are working, will be working. The savings from getting rid of the dead weight would more than off set the cost of bringing back the TWA folks at full pay.

I agree with you, somewhat. I think if you go to the flight service side of things as management you shouldn't be considered a FA anymore. I also think that if you do special assignment that you should not be allowed to do it on your scheduled reserve month.

I don't agree with you about sick time though. Having called in sick for legitimate reasons 2 times in 8 months, without a family leave, I have been harassed. Going to work sick as a flight attendant or pilot is a little different than going to work sick as an office worker. There are more dire things to think of then " oh, if I feel more sick when I get there I will just go home and go to the doctor." You can't do that when you are halfway across your own continent or on another one.

It's a real mind screw when you are home the day before and going in and out of a sick feeling and have to think of all the consequences should you decide to go out, or not call off in time. Not only do you have to worry that you are sick but you have to try to read your crystal ball ahead of time to gauge the possible level of your sickness.

Some of the thoughts are:

-suppose it is something more serious than I think it is now? I'm going to a third world country with garbage hospitals and I could die.

-suppose I have the flu and I barely make it on the first flight. How will I get home? How long will I have to stay alone and sick in a different country/city before they clear me to fly home?

-suppose I am on the verge of being sick now but I wake up right before the trip and I am on the verge of death? Then it is a missed trip.

There's a whole bunch of things they really torture us with and as a result half of the flight attendants come to work sick and either burn themselves (by being stuck downline and sick or by blowing out their eardrums) or burning other people when they infect them or cause them to work shorthanded.

There's no real way to make a determination about who is really sick vs. who is faking.

I agree with you, somewhat. I think if you go to the flight service side of things as management you shouldn't be considered a FA anymore. I also think that if you do special assignment that you should not be allowed to do it on your scheduled reserve month.

I don't agree with you about sick time though. Having called in sick for legitimate reasons 2 times in 8 months, without a family leave, I have been harassed. Going to work sick as a flight attendant or pilot is a little different than going to work sick as an office worker. There are more dire things to think of then " oh, if I feel more sick when I get there I will just go home and go to the doctor." You can't do that when you are halfway across your own continent or on another one.

It's a real mind screw when you are home the day before and going in and out of a sick feeling and have to think of all the consequences should you decide to go out, or not call off in time. Not only do you have to worry that you are sick but you have to try to read your crystal ball ahead of time to gauge the possible level of your sickness.

Some of the thoughts are:

-suppose it is something more serious than I think it is now? I'm going to a third world country with garbage hospitals and I could die.

-suppose I have the flu and I barely make it on the first flight. How will I get home? How long will I have to stay alone and sick in a different country/city before they clear me to fly home?

-suppose I am on the verge of being sick now but I wake up right before the trip and I am on the verge of death? Then it is a missed trip.

There's a whole bunch of things they really torture us with and as a result half of the flight attendants come to work sick and either burn themselves (by being stuck downline and sick or by blowing out their eardrums) or burning other people when they infect them or cause them to work shorthanded.

There's no real way to make a determination about who is really sick vs. who is faking.

Being harassed for calling in sick 2 times in 8 months is BS and I am not talking about stuff like that. The legit cases such as your self should not even pop up on the radar. Im talking about the ones who have called in for the last 6 X-mass / new years in a row (yes there are some, I know 2 of them are at my base) or the folks who call in sick before/after their VC on a regular basis like clock work. And the ones who call in sick becasue they get assigned a EWR/PBI/ONT/BWI seq and they do not feel like going there. Or Intl FA's who think they are too good to take a domestic trp who cal in sick .. like clock work. Those are the ones I am talking about. And there are enough to make a difference in staffing.

Just remember, for ever FA I had that called in sick for an assignment, 1 more FA got reassigned. I was reassigning OE, MU, TT, OR's, I hit sen# with 3 digits.

Yes there are legit reasons to be on the sick list. But if you happen to claim to get sick X-mass/ NY for the past 6 years, sorry but I call BS on that. Each vacation ... BS, ach time you get a seq you don't like ... BS.

Yes, it is difficult to tell who is faking for the majority, there is a large gray area, but like I said above, there are enough who are obvious that it could justify bringing back 500 or more heads easily.

If we were to reduce the sk list by 50% (which by most accounts I have read are faking it in the corporate world) the number of line holders extended would have been only a hand full if not non-existent and the extensions to reserves would have been quite small. I believe the sick list was at around 1,000 so 500 head would have made a huge difference system wide.

Do that along with firing a commuter if they are not in base for their trip and you will have a smooth operation.

My opinion is to first cull the sick list. AA needs to go through all the departments and start firing those who abuse the sick list and are dead weight. AA needs to go to court in each contested case if need be.
Can't be done. The company AND the union contractually agreed to binding arbitration in any grievance/dismissal issue. Neither can go to court if they don't like the arbitrator's decision.

As Skymess pointed out, knowing that sick leave is being abused and proving it are two different things. Proving it is also a VERY expensive proposition--the payback to getting rid of one abuser rarely covers the cost. Instead the company should go after the people who are not on the sick list, but don't fly either. Now, I'm not talking about people who need a period of time off for a sick child or parent, or an educational LOA, or the like. I mean the people who bid all the best trips then drop the trips or sell them to a trip-trade service.

The company would do better to define what constitutes a full-time job in each job category--one of the legal problems in the past has been that the courts have a hard time understanding that someone (a f/a) who is "guaranteed" 70 hours a month is a full-time employee. Then withdraw any non-contractual benefits--such as, non-rev travel benefits to anyone not flying full-time, or at least 35 hours/month. There would be some f/as who would either retire or start flying again. You would eliminate the f/as like the one I flew with a DFW once. She had 36 years at the time, and informed me that she never flew unless she wanted to get away from her husband for a few days or Nordstrom's in Seattle was having a sale. She also told me she never flew east of Dallas--only west. (No explanation was given for that particular trip bias. :lol: )

Flight service needs to be culled as well. If you work in flight service, you are not an FA. No special assignments in flight service. It's a conflict of interest.
Again, by contract...if a f/a takes an assignment in Flight Service--management or otherwise--he/she remains on the seniority list with the right to return to flying as long as they keep their quals current and stay in the Flight Service Department.

There are often jobs that arise for temporary periods of time for special projects--helping with major manual revisions, a/c re-design, procedures studies--that it would not be economically smart for the company to hire a new employee, train them, then let them go at the end of the project. To get these jobs done, you need people who are already well-versed in not only the procedures (or whatever) but also, the current company policies regarding those procedures. Who better than a f/a to advise on on-board service/equipment/etc?

Do you think that f/as who are temporarily prevented from flying--pregnancy, surgery recuperation--should just be without an income totally until they return to flying. It is economically advantageous for the company to fill temporary jobs with these people rather than hire from the outside. The employee is being productive, the company is deriving benefit and costs are not increased.

You think that someone in order to try something different--say for instance, a Flight Service Manager--should have to burn their f/a bridges? You would never get anyone except the ones who hate flying and the customers to apply for the job. I don't know about other f/as, but I want my supervisor to not only be someone who has actually been a flight attendant, but also enjoyed it.

There are often jobs that arise for temporary periods of time for special projects--helping with major manual revisions, a/c re-design, procedures studies--that it would not be economically smart for the company to hire a new employee, train them, then let them go at the end of the project. To get these jobs done, you need people who are already well-versed in not only the procedures (or whatever) but also, the current company policies regarding those procedures. Who better than a f/a to advise on on-board service/equipment/etc?

Do you think that f/as who are temporarily prevented from flying--pregnancy, surgery recuperation--should just be without an income totally until they return to flying. It is economically advantageous for the company to fill temporary jobs with these people rather than hire from the outside. The employee is being productive, the company is deriving benefit and costs are not increased.

You think that someone in order to try something different--say for instance, a Flight Service Manager--should have to burn their f/a bridges? You would never get anyone except the ones who hate flying and the customers to apply for the job. I don't know about other f/as, but I want my supervisor to not only be someone who has actually been a flight attendant, but also enjoyed it.

Temp jobs fine, but they should not have any interaction with line FA's. I have called flt svcs various times and been told that what I was doing "was not fair" or "I don't think thats very nice" only to find out it's a FA on SA. It's a conflict of interest. Having to notify of a RA, or what have you and then having to fly with that person who you may have pissed off.

If someone wants to see what job is like, do a walk a mile. That's what I did.

As for the legal stuff, makes sense but I was talking about a perfect world as opposed to reality. Because nothing is going to happen either way. They may do a recall or two more if it gets really bad but when recalls expire, the flood gates will open.

Jim,
You amaze me. It seems to me that you are bitter at where you are at in life. This flight attendant who has 36 years has put in her time. As she flys so very little she doesn't collect benefits. And stop saying they sell their trips as they pay to get rid of them (usually).
I understand you would like the opportunity to hold better trips, I have been flying for 16 years and I would like to be off reserve, but do I begrudge those who are ahead of me? No. I would like some to retire, but it is well within their rights to drop as many trips as they want. I suggest if you don't like the system, leave. Or maybe you should have started when you were young and no so crochety!

Latest posts