MIA Flights Cancel

And on your retirement they will buy you a new car for not calling in sick..... :rolleyes:

Why would they do that? It is a policy that I agreed to when I was hired. It's not like I did not know what I was getting into. If I do not like something, I always have the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere

Why would they do that? It is a policy that I agreed to when I was hired. It's not like I did not know what I was getting into. If I do not like something, I always have the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere

Why is that always the answer? Could it be because it is the easy, lame, answer?

How about changing policies that obviously don't work? Why is that not an answer? Smart company's offer a percentage payout of unused sick time on retirement. They also offer holiday pay for holidays worked.

Good question. I have no answer other than if I didn't do this the alternative is to get a real job. And that's an intolerable thought. :mf_boff:

There you go. You knew what you were getting into. I have no problem with people trying to change things that they feel are wrong or broken. I hate when people violate policy because it is now inconvenient for them. If someone does not like something, change it or leave.

I stay for the same reason you do as do many of us I assume.

There you go. You knew what you were getting into. I have no problem with people trying to change things that they feel are wrong or broken. I hate when people violate policy because it is now inconvenient for them. If someone does not like something, change it or leave.

Working for a "real" company isn't all that bad. Two week off (paid ) at Christmas, flex time, a "family first" philosophy. Employees are treated like adults and surprise, surprise, actually act like adults. I worked for PanAm, TWA, and AA, and NEVER in ANY interview was I told that I would be called at home (caught is a better word) and inversed, not by seniority but because I happened to live near the airport. Nor was I told that at the whim of planning or crew allocation or whatever each particular airline wants to call that dept., that as a line holder, I could become a "reserve" at a moments notice. ie move ups or extending a trip, ESPECIALLY over the holiday. As I'm watching my peers return, the inevitable discussions of 2 phones, and don't answer on your days off, come to mind. The difference in a real world job and being a f/a is that if my child is ill, I can actually stay home without having my hand slapped or being "charged" with an absence in a disciplinary sense of the word. There is no need to try and figure out if this can be a FMLA vs I'm just sick occurance. And don't even get me started on the "nurse line". Talk about a waste of money. If you call, that is only one "mark", don't call and its two "marks". Because of their philosophy the employees at my company have an amazing work ethic and if asked to meet a deadline (that requires extra hours and work days) EVERYONE steps up to the plate, no questions. No one has to "lie", fudge, or play games. As a supervisor, it makes it very easy for me to say, "leave early", take a mental health day, go home after your home visit, because I know my employees give 150%. I once again put the blame at AA where it belongs, on mangt. policies. And I'll stand by my statement that while there may be "some" that choose not to "play" by the rules, the majority will and does.

Garfield, what I got into was a lot different than what I am currently in.

Things change, company policy can and does too. First I had no holiday pay, then I did, now I don't.

First I had good working conditions, then I had better, and now I have worse.

If I truly didn't like what I do I would leave. The things I don't like can be changed. It's not the job itself I don't like, just some of the policies.

There are some people who rant and rave about ANY policy because they just hate being a flight attendant. I'm not one of them. I do understand that your frustration comes with what you do and some of the jerks on my end that you have to deal with. You also understand that some of the normal people get harassed by your people (and possibly you) too. AA's sick call policy needs to be changed.

Over 40 yrs old, nearly 20 yrs with AA and never been sick on a holiday, vacation or birthday. Guess I must just be lucky.

Just reread this and was wondering if that meant you never called in sick or just never on holiday, vacation, or birthday?

Have you ever gone to work with the onset of a possible illness? The sniffles? headache? sinus problems?

Have you ever gone to work with the onset of a possible illness? The sniffles? headache? sinus problems?
Here's the difference. I can go to work at Home Depot not feeling 100%, and come home in the middle of my shift if I get worse. Or I can go today and stay home tomorrow if I feel worse tomorrow. As a FA, I'm facing maybe three or four days of being crammed into a narrow tube full of people, serving food and drinks, knowing that if I call off in the middle of the sequence I'll inconvenience hundreds of people and maybe face hassles trying to get myself home as well.

That being said, of course Garfield is right when he says holiday spikes are sick leave abuse. When the sick list goes from 800 to 1600, you can pretty well bet that 800 people are abusing the system. That is so obvious I'm surprised there's even any discussion of the matter.

MK

Nope.

That being said, of course Garfield is right when he says holiday spikes are sick leave abuse. When the sick list goes from 800 to 1600, you can pretty well bet that 800 people are abusing the system. That is so obvious I'm surprised there's even any discussion of the matter.

MK

Wow, nearly fell out of my seat reading that. Someone actually gets it.

Thank you.

Latest posts