Microsoft Tray Table AD

HP_JACK

Senior
Aug 28, 2005
Recently while on one of our Airbuses a passenger pointed out this ad on the tray table to me.

There is an ad that appears on the tray tables of our fleet for Microsoft Windows Mobile. In the ad, it says when in Flight Mode it allows you to turn your phone off while keeping your device turned on. "That way, the flight attendant won't scold you and you can still get work done."

EXCUSE ME!!!! What MORONS in marketing think that this is okay. All it does is build up the stereotypical image people have of us and we loose respect. I demand that these be removed on behalf of the entire flight attendant work force. Whoever in marketing approved this should be fired!

Recently while on one of our Airbuses a passenger pointed out this ad on the tray table to me.

There is an ad that appears on the tray tables of our fleet for Microsoft Windows Mobile. In the ad, it says when in Flight Mode it allows you to turn your phone off while keeping your device turned on. "That way, the flight attendant won't scold you and you can still get work done."
EXCUSE ME!!!! What MORONS in marketing think that this is okay. All it does is build up the stereotypical image people have of us and we loose respect. I demand that these be removed on behalf of the entire flight attendant work force. Whoever in marketing approved this should be fired!

This HAs Already Been Addressed By AFA and The Company and Will Be Taken OFF!!

This HAs Already Been Addressed By AFA and The Company and Will Be Taken OFF!!

sky high states: See E-line: http://www.afausairways.org/Eline/may19_07.htm

MICROSOFT "WINDOWS MOBILE" TRAY TABLE AD

This ad is part of the Marketing Department's plan to increase revenue by placing advertisements on aircraft tray tables. Leaving my personal feelings about advertising products on tray tables aside, this ad, although intended as a "joke" was completely inappropriate and insulting to our Flight Attendants who are certified safety professionals. Flight Attendants do not "scold" passengers, but enforce safety related FARs. Our Safety Committee, led by MEC Safety Committee Chair, Barrington Johnson, communicated our concerns to the Company. As a direct result of those concerns, the ads will be removed immediately. Thanks go out to Barrington and his committee members. I have made a further request to the Company to have any further ads reviewed by the Union before any ads are posted.

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President

only stating opinions

Your rant, makes you look that stereotype you claim not to be.

Is this ad so untrue?
Not to be sterotypical but doesn't this happen quite often?
I know many of my fellow FAs LIKE to scold.
It may not be the image we would like to present but I think many would agree it happens more times than we care to admit to.

Next thing Tempe will be trying to do is take out the Galley's and put in Vending Machines in. The First Class Machines will be at a discounted price. I can see it now, someone's bag of potato chips gets hung up, and they will be beating the crap out of the machine, and who would blame them for $2 bag of 50 cents chips. :p :lol:

Next thing Tempe will be trying to do is take out the Galley's and put in Vending Machines in. The First Class Machines will be at a discounted price. I can see it now, someone's bag of potato chips gets hung up, and they will be beating the crap out of the machine, and who would blame them for $2 bag of 50 cents chips. :p :lol:
stfu. don't give tempe ideas.

Is this ad so untrue?
Not to be sterotypical but doesn't this happen quite often?
I know many of my fellow FAs LIKE to scold.
It may not be the image we would like to present but I think many would agree it happens more times than we care to admit to.

sky high states: With most passengers, an explanation is enough. However, there IS that type that only understands, a STERN Loud response.

Example: The guy on his computer. He conveniently ignores the PA announcement by the F/A's, ignores the PED SIGN above his head. Ignores the F/A who comes by and says, "could you shut down your computer." We all KNOW that we need to do a double-take at his screen before walking away. And, yes. Mostly likely turn around and go back and firmly say, "Turn it off NOW, please!!!" Is that Scolding or making sure safety procedures are complete?????

No one respects anyone (in uniform) anymore. Just ask your local Police. A Doctor. A Pilot.

only stating opinions

There is an ad that appears on the tray tables of our fleet for Microsoft Windows Mobile... What MORONS in marketing think that this is okay. All it does is build up the stereotypical image people have of us and we loose respect. I demand that these be removed on behalf of the entire flight attendant work force. Whoever in marketing approved this should be fired!

LOSE, not loose. The dog is running LOOSE in the neighborhood. If Johnny gets another speeding ticket, he will LOSE his license for six months.

Since I got an ipod I cannot imagine traveling without it. I usually miss the announcement (cause I don't hear it) to turn off my ipod but then agian ipods don't really have an off switch. I was scolded once by an FA, she came by and shook my sholder and said "YOU HAVE TO turn it OFF!"

I was really embarrassed by it, I wasn't aware that we were going to land and that the time had flown by so to speak and I understand she has to do her job but she could have gone about it differently. Most of the people around me kinda looked empathetically at me and the person next to me kinda joked that she seemed really crabby.

Maybe you need better uniforms? :p

For me respect is something someone EARNS! It is not granted by virtue of what you wear to work each day.

sky high states: Better Uniforms? I think Professional is key.
My parents "taught" me RESPECT. I grew up in a Military Family (Air Force) <---that's probably my fascination with aviation and my foundation for my values.
We've lost a generation of society where thank you and please are not used by the majority anymore. Gimme, now when did that replace, May I please have?
There ARE rules and regulations for my coworkers and I to ENFORCE. Contrary to belief, we dont single YOU out and give YOU a hard time. What we do find, is that, more and more people dont think the RULES apply to them. Although it's a constant battle, I always try to enforce the RULES with an explanation. The service part of the job is "cake". What can be exhausting for some F/A's is dealing with the lack of respect, things out of your control and the "its all about me attitude." That's when you find the BEST F/A's compared to mediocre ones. They handle those situations with ease. The mediocre ones spend their energy being defensive INSTEAD of proactive. And, equally important, just because YOU didnt like my answer....doesnt mean I was rude. :up:

only stating opinions