Minimum Wage

Will you be cutting bodies or hours?Will you be raising prices? If the wage goes to $15 and prices go up what happens to the guy squeaking by making $20. I doubt strongly he will go up to 25. Forget about that guy ever eating or ordering out..So now the pizzeria is paying more for their help and getting less business

I have to raise prices or die.
Do you realize/understand the cascading evolution of pricing?
When my supplier has to pay an increase (being whatever, fuel, labor, product) do you think he will not increase his prices to keep his margin?
It was interesting to see how much wholesale prices increased when fuel prices peaked,
When fuel went down, their prices didn't.
Funny how that works.

Don't forget the dollar was much stronger and prices were lower due to that plus technology has done a lot to living expenses since then.
I was going to wait to mention the impact of illegal immigration, offshoring, H-1B1 visas, technological unemployment, globalization, "free" trade (which has cost us plenty), and the government burying us in debt while printing money not backed by anything.

All of that on top of women entering the workforce and increasing the unskilled labor pool by 200%.

All of these market forces impacting the economy and liberals think increasing minimum wage to $15 an hour will solve the "living wage" problem.

Last edited:
When in reality most of the Cletus' in double wide's are in them because they didn't have the drive to achieve more, and are on Government Cheese.
I think Traymark made a good point.

We have opportunities in this country.

If you work a minimum wage job for any length of time it is because you chose to be there, not because you are a victim.

I don't know what he sells.

That said, try looking at it the other way.

A guy makes, say, $10/hr., and Chase still gets their money. Wal-Mart still gets theirs, Allstate still does, and so on.

Now he makes $15. Suddenly, there's money to go out to eat (the pizzeria Albert cited above), maybe he shops a little more (locally, ideally), and maybe-just maybe- he can finally go on a vacation...On one of those planes you and I load...

Meanwhile, his local tax base increases, so there's more $$$ for things we all use like roads and schools.

For xUT specifically, I'm sure he has hired/retained good people. And I'm sure he sure he can find creative incentives for his people if he/when he needs to.

Note: FWIW, I always try to shop small businesses. I'm lucky in that where I live, it's almost easier to do so than to hit a big box retailer, gas station, etc.
Of course I don't know the ratio and am pulling out of any orifice you like but for every 5 people that go up to $15 another one will be laid off or all six will have their hours cut . Former CEO of Mcdonalds said he won't pay someone $15 to make french fries he'll get a robot (automate)

Fast food everywhere will soon be dominated by robots.
Restaurants will cut service due to higher wages and you can have a nice long wait as the rule rather than the exception.
Then what?
Grilled cheese and English muffin pizzas at home. The supermarkets here Stop and Shop etc sell a hot whole chicken for $4.99. I'll do that before I spend $3 for a Mcdonalds hamburger

Fast food everywhere will soon be dominated by robots.
Restaurants will cut service due to higher wages and you can have a nice long wait as the rule rather than the exception.
Then what?
By me the wait is pretty long anyway,all I'll say is they don't deserve $15.

If the gov tells you to pay someone currently making $10 an hour $15 an hour it might seem like the equivalent of a $5 an hour tax on each employee with no more production per employee.

I see more robotics coming.................

That's when you take YOUR food dollars elsewhere. I like a Mcnugget every now and then.

Moot point. I dont eat meat.

By me the wait is pretty long anyway,all I'll say is they don't deserve $15.

Maybe they're not making enough per hour to care?

you might but the average consumer won't they'll just be less people working there

People keep saying that, but the early returns in places like SEA are showing otherwise. An interesting (and quick) read here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...her-minimum-wage-hasn-t-hurt-jobs-or-business