Missing Another Chance To Beat The Compitition

Doc

Veteran
Jul 15, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways Express, with passenger traffic on its Chattanooga to New York nonstop flight lagging, is offering a $190 roundtrip fare for those that buy tickets in the next couple of weeks.

The fare is available for most flights through Feb. 5 and there's no Saturday night stay requirement, though it must be booked at least a week in advance, said airport and city officials Friday.

Mayor Bob Corker said US Airways wasn't offered any incentive by the city or the airport for the lower fare.

"There has been a lot of phone calls to US Airways," he said.

Ticket prices had been running between $230 and $330 roundtrip depending on how far in advance a flight was booked.

Mark VanLoh, Airport Authority president, said the new fare is lower than the $219 ticket price offered by Southwest Airlines from Nashville to New York. Also, he said, Southwest flies into Long Island, while US Airways takes travelers to LaGuardia International Airport.

Mr. VanLoh said the new fare is effective now.

"If you want to take your significant other to New York City for Christmastime, now is the time," he said.

The flight, which started in May, is the first nonstop in decades from Chattanooga to New York, which is the No. 1 ultimate destination of travelers here, according to the airport.

However, passengers are only filling about a third of the available seats on the regional jet aircraft, according to airport boarding figures.

Mr. VanLoh said Chattanoogans have always been a heavy user of Delta Air Lines, which now uses Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Comair, and Atlantic Coast Airlines for its flights from the city to Atlanta and Cincinnati. Also, some travelers have complained the Chattanooga-New York fare on US Airways was too high, he said.

In addition, there is only one nonstop a day between Chattanooga and New York. It's arrival and departure times may not be appealing to Chattanooga's business traveler, added Mr. VanLoh.

The flight leaves Chattanooga at 6:20 a.m. and departs LaGuardia at 7:31 p.m. Mr. VanLoh said some business people may be flying from USAirway's Charlotte hub because the times may be more convenient.

I don't see where to fix it. I assume the flight is in the 90 minute range, which puts you into LGA just before 8, and time to make a 9AM meeting. Leaving LGA at the time it does gives you a full day of business and then time to make the return. What am I missing here? All the article says is that the flight may be incovenient, but VanLoh does not say what time it should be.

Chattanooga to Charlotte is quite a drive. How is that "convenient"?

Besides, what's the big deal with connecting in CLT? I've done it and survived (CVG and ATL are fine as well -- PHL is not). There are 7 daily CHA-CLT flights.

The earliest you can get into LGA also happens to be the morning non-stop. One could return to CHA just about any time you want, one of which is the evening non-stop flight.

Latest posts