More Cuts at MEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
where was your concern for all of the lost jobs regarding AA/US' recent announcements int'l route announcements?
Exactly what jobs were lost with AA going seasonal and/or cutting back?

They're ground handled in Europe, and it's my experience that the turnover with the ground handling companies results in nobody actually losing their job...

Reactions: 4 people
WorldTraveler said:
DL has a far better track record of protecting its employees in downturns that US ever did.

There are ample stats to show that.

IN your outrage you also missed the fact that DL is adding MORE seats than what is being removed. DL is essentially shifting flights from Delta Connection to Delta Mainline.

DL mainline flights are operated by Delta Air Lines employees.

There is MORE work coming for DL employees, not less. DL still has dozens of 717s and 739ERs coming online in the coming years. DL's fleet plan continues to be to remove DCI flying and replace it with DL mainline aircraft which ARE operated by DL employees.

Get the facts and understand before showing up trying to stir up the pot. It just backfired in your face.
Leadership 7.5

Enough said.

PMNW employees did way better than PMDL, and Kevin has explained this to you numerous times.

Yep, same airport yet DL has its own employees doing work, and vendors doing their work also, how is that protecting employees?

How is 50% ready reserve only getting one raise and no benefits protecting work, when RR are taking the place of regular DL employees?

Sadly 700 he wont ever get it. Just the same crap he been told repeatedly over n over yet he claims dl does better... just like the fake lawsuits he claimed dl wld file. To this day we r still waiting......

Reactions: 3 people
Anyone know how many Delta employees were eliminated today with this down sizing? Or is this just another schedule change .A no furlough clause is worthless. Look at your airline history it's littered with the paper of those contracts. Good luck with that and I hope it doesn't happen. Just keep up with your saving just in case.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly what jobs were lost with AA going seasonal and/or cutting back?

They're ground handled in Europe, and it's my experience that the turnover with the ground handling companies results in nobody actually losing their job...

Uh, does AA contract out FAs and pilots on close to a dozen flights/day that will not operate for parts of the winter?

Sadly 700 he wont ever get it. Just the same crap he been told repeatedly over n over yet he claims dl does better... just like the fake lawsuits he claimed dl wld file. To this day we r still waiting......
because once again, you can't grasp that DL is ADDING seats. You went and thru out a charge that has NO FACTUAL basis.

Meto is right.

The track record of your own union is proof of what job protections you don't have.

Thanks for going down that road via your mud slinging so we can show what your union has don and not done.

if you want to approach every topic as an opportunity to knock DL even when it isn't accurate, you will be served the same.

DL isn't cutting any jobs because there is no reason to cut jobs when seats are being added.

WorldTraveler said:
Uh, does AA contract out FAs and pilots on close to a dozen flights/day that will not operate for parts of the winter?.
Since AA is hiring, they just don't need to fill as many vacancies. And there's zero indication that they've stopped hiring FA's or pilots. Absorbing the impact of 12 crew rotations is little more than dealing with a bad weather day at a medium size station.

You're appearing pretty intent on making the seasonal flying out to be a negative, WT. Do try harder and think the story problem all the way thru before jumping to conclusions....

What you did is no different than 700 i.e. claiming job losses is throwing out a charge without any factual basis.

If you can explain to me how AA is going to cut the better part of a dozen flights without impacting their workforce but yet DL is going to be impacted by job cuts because they are ADDING seats to MEM, then you will win a Nobel Prize in business.

AA's latest traffic results prove exactly what I have been saying for years and the seasonal cuts prove it - AA is adding too much capacity to the int'l market.

If they don't want to reduce their workforce in order to match their reduced level of flying which has to happen, then their profits will suffer.

They can't keep people around twiddling their fingers if the flights cannot be profitably operated.

The charge about layoffs, IIRC, came from robbed, not 700.

robbed didn't bother to read that DL is adding seats to the market - perhaps because he says he has blocked my posts and he didn't read it in the article.

Either way, regarding DL and MEM, he is incorrect about job losses.

I don't really care what AA does about their workforce as long as robbed keeps his inaccurate comments out of a simple schedule change which actually adds seats.

WorldTraveler said:
IN your outrage you also missed the fact that DL is adding MORE seats than what is being removed. DL is essentially shifting flights from Delta Connection to Delta Mainline.
In the case of MEM, that's a non-issue. DL employees already handle DCI flights there, and the NB staffing model is based on a flight itself, not the A/C size. In this case, bumping something up to an E75- or even a 717- won't drive/cut headcount.

There is MORE work coming for DL employees, not less. DL still has dozens of 717s and 739ERs coming online in the coming years. DL's fleet plan continues to be to remove DCI flying and replace it with DL mainline aircraft which ARE operated by DL employees.
See above.

At best, we might see some PT shifts w/increased hours, but that's likely it.

Note: There are no RR employees in MEM.

metopower said:
Anyone know how many Delta employees were eliminated today with this down sizing?
I'd hope not too many. As noted above, if when all is said and done it's a net decrease in flight activity, then we might see some hours cut? I'm also not sure how many people-if any- took this latest EO package. That might factor in as well.

At this point, I think the living might envy the dead down there... :(

I don't get why everyone is so upset about MEM.  I mean DL is larger even in BOS than MEM today.

Josh

There are several cities that are now "larger" than MEM- that's kinda the whole point.

Like I said earlier- I get the economic arguments; it's still a bummer.

In the case of MEM, that's a non-issue. DL employees already handle DCI flights there, and the NB staffing model is based on a flight itself, not the A/C size. In this case, bumping something up to an E75- or even a 717- won't drive/cut headcount.

See above.

At best, we might see some PT shifts w/increased hours, but that's likely it.

Note: There are no RR employees in MEM.

I'd hope not too many. As noted above, if when all is said and done it's a net decrease in flight activity, then we might see some hours cut? I'm also not sure how many people-if any- took this latest EO package. That might factor in as well.

At this point, I think the living might envy the dead down there... :(
precisely on point 1.

there is a change in cities served; the number of flights is unchanged apparently but the number of seats is increasing.

the notion that DL or contractor employees are being impacted by this is patently false.

DCI employees are being impacted by DL's reduction in DCI flying but that strategy was announced on the very day the NW/DL merger was announced.

the point of the fact is with seasonal the flights will be back  generally speaking   you wt are making it a negative thing   on the other hand DL is slicing MEM further now with the cuts    Adding more seats to ATL  big deal      As E said  slice MEM for SEA growth  

WorldTraveler said:
precisely on point 1.

there is a change in cities served; the number of flights is unchanged apparently but the number of seats is increasing.

the notion that DL or contractor employees are being impacted by this is patently false.

DCI employees are being impacted by DL's reduction in DCI flying but that strategy was announced on the very day the NW/DL merger was announced.
MEM-based DCI employees were long ago impacted. IIRC, there's none left to impact.

M/L employees have also felt a sustained "impact." Whether this latest "slashing" is a non event or piles on remains to be seen.

My point was simply to counter the idea that swapping out a CR9 for a B717 on a given route would result in a net positive for M/L employees in MEM. It won't.

Kev you may be right about the impact on the ramp and gates. I talked to a former FA from MEM that now commutes to ATL. . She related that many gate and all pilots ,FA's are computing to new bases. Her complaint was lack of seats available . The up gauge should help those people.

WorldTraveler said:
If you can explain to me how AA is going to cut the better part of a dozen flights without impacting their workforce but yet DL is going to be impacted by job cuts because they are ADDING seats to MEM, then you will win a Nobel Prize in business.
How 'bout you show where I claimed DL was cutting any jobs, Skippy.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts