More Layoffs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With BOS mainly express as mentioned besides mainline service to focus cities and hubs maybe they'll close the base. With all of the switching going around and major pulldown in LGA maybe they'll close that base too. I know the shuttle operates and the cost of hotels is higher than many cities but with such little operation of mainline between those two cities in the system I can't see keeping a crew base in either. Operating a crew base for f/a's and pilots MUST cost a good bit between computer ops and the actual rental space. I don't want to see anyone furloughed or displaced but also can't see the justification of keeping a base in BOS and certainly LGA with such little mainline flying besides the shuttle. Without a base in those two cities I doubt there would be a lot of overnights in BOS and LGA as a result.

Well I think we are in what would be called the "calm before the storm". Overall it has been very quiet on the labor front. Management is up to something. I bet we'll get some information thats a real doozie soon. Yep it's usually before the holidays. HO HO HO! ! ! No inside info....just my own feeling.

Yup, you're spot on. And my gut tells me it's going to be in the not too distant future, say by the end of the week. I too have no inside information except too much silence from Tempe coupled with rumblings on the rumor mill. AFA contract....nah, no real need or desire on the company's part. AA/US.....it's a BIG stretch. Parts of UA/parts of US......interesting but UA ALPA 'nuff said. CO gets US West and UA gets US East......what on earth would CO want with PHX and all that's included? And for that matter, what would UA want in US east other than maybe CLT? These are just some of the rumors discussed here and on other message boards, not my rumors and there are plenty more I'm sure. These are just the biggies.

US now has a little financial muscle/leverage, not so much in our financial statements, but in Parker himself. In terms of marketing, customer/employee relations and airline operations, he's got his head in the sand. But when it comes to money, and getting it, he's brilliant. Who was it, CitiGroup or somebody that gave us some breathing room with our loan covenants recently? I'm sure he had to do some tough selling to get them to agree to that in this economy, especially when most airline analysts and Wall St. bankers are saying the industry would be better off with one less airline. He's also managed to keep an airline that was days away from liquidation open for business, and with slowly improving numbers; all of which is during some of the worst economic times this industry has ever endured. I think by now he's probably recaptured the focus of a few money people. Time will tell.

With BOS mainly express as mentioned besides mainline service to focus cities and hubs maybe they'll close the base. With all of the switching going around and major pulldown in LGA maybe they'll close that base too. I know the shuttle operates and the cost of hotels is higher than many cities but with such little operation of mainline between those two cities in the system I can't see keeping a crew base in either. Operating a crew base for f/a's and pilots MUST cost a good bit between computer ops and the actual rental space. I don't want to see anyone furloughed or displaced but also can't see the justification of keeping a base in BOS and certainly LGA with such little mainline flying besides the shuttle. Without a base in those two cities I doubt there would be a lot of overnights in BOS and LGA as a result.

I believe management has said that they need two bases to operate the shuttle. Keep in mind LGA was debated against being closed in the past, and PIT went in stead, which imo was a smarter move. However they may be able to close LGA now. I do not think that BOS will be closed though. Even in the DOT filling, US never announced that any mainline flying would be affected in LGA, so they may not close any base.

Announcement today @ 1230pm and its not a merger so you can scratch that one out ...for now .

Hold on to your lug nuts! ! ! It's tiiiiiiiiiiiime for an overhaul ! ! ! !
Jim_Carey_Mask.jpg

Looks like BOS and LGA are closing. Who didn't see this coming? Also a few international cities being axed. Stay tuned. :shock:

What about the excessive clerical staffing , along with additional middle management?

Ahem...supervisors?

Status
Not open for further replies.