More questions about United's bankruptcy

jmi65

Dec 8, 2011
I am also a 20+years mechanic with AA, spoiled by the base maintenance comforts of heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. It's interesting listening to all the rumors going around.

My question is this, when the base in Indianapolis closed did those mechanic bump and roll throughout the system by seniority forcing junior mechanics to the street or was the layoff specific to the base in that only those mechanic at the base hit the street no matter their seniority?

I have asked our union for their understanding of how it will work but as yet I haven't gotten a response.

I'm not a united amt, but they way a rif is handled should be in your contract. At US Air, you can bump wherever your seniority will hold. Base/line/gse is all on the same seniority list. Basically you can bump anywhere you have someone with less seniority than you. If its that way for you guys, then get ready for the bump n roll. Regardless of what happens, I hope the best for you guys. It's gonna be tough

I am also a 20+years mechanic with AA, spoiled by the base maintenance comforts of heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. It's interesting listening to all the rumors going around.

My question is this, when the base in Indianapolis closed did those mechanic bump and roll throughout the system by seniority forcing junior mechanics to the street or was the layoff specific to the base in that only those mechanic at the base hit the street no matter their seniority?

I have asked our union for their understanding of how it will work but as yet I haven't gotten a response.

United plan could leave city holding $100M bag

UA closed the maintenance base in one day without notice.
All M&R were on absence with no pay(later mitigated by the IAM).
Most people were junior and couldn't bump, some just flat out quit.
After union intervention, people were allowed to bid the system.
IIRC,
B) xUT

BEND OVER

It's all about the survival of the company. The needs or lives of the employees do not matter.
The BK Judge will look at what the Company & the DIP wants. Just hope the Judge is honest.

Reactions: 2 people
Remember. In bankruptcy, in the beginning the company will ask for employees and retireers to help company out. But in the end the creditors, bank and judge will decide the final outcome. We gave up cash, benifits and languge to help out UAL. In the end the creditors and judge decided what the final outcome was to be. Our retirers lost, we lost , and the top excec's got rich. We were left with few job's, less cash, and no retirement. Now with merger, our retirees lost there travel senority benifits, we still have minimal retirement benifits, and senority is all thats left. At 57 years old at SSR at SFO I'm holding on to day shift with 26 yrs senoirty. Thats it for us right now. Thank god for friends and family. Best of luck to you and I hope for you and all your familys a Happy Xmas and New Year.

Reactions: 1 person
Remember. In bankruptcy, in the beginning the company will ask for employees and retireers to help company out. But in the end the creditors, bank and judge will decide the final outcome. We gave up cash, benifits and languge to help out UAL. In the end the creditors and judge decided what the final outcome was to be. Our retirers lost, we lost , and the top excec's got rich. We were left with few job's, less cash, and no retirement. Now with merger, our retirees lost there travel senority benifits, we still have minimal retirement benifits, and senority is all thats left. At 57 years old at SSR at SFO I'm holding on to day shift with 26 yrs senoirty. Thats it for us right now. Thank god for friends and family. Best of luck to you and I hope for you and all your familys a Happy Xmas and New Year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
B) xUT

Latest posts