'My Delta': Can carrier hold onto morale boost?

May 19, 2003
By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/21/07

US Airways handed Delta Air Lines an unexpected gift when it launched a surprise takeover bid three months ago. After years of morale-sapping cutbacks, Delta had a common enemy that united and revved up the work force.

The challenge for Delta will be keeping up the momentum now that the takeover battle is won.

AJC Link

I posted this in the US forum as opposed to the DL forum for several reasons and do not want to rub this in any ones face again. 1. It does show the uniting force that the failed merger attempt had on the DL employees. 2. If you read the entire article it shows the difference between the management styles of the two management teams.

I was invited along with about 50 other customers to attend the Velvet Rope Tour. I can tell you that it was effective with the front line employees and I could tell the difference in those who had gone through the program and those who had not when I flew.

Some of the more interesting quotes...

The 74-year-old Grinstein's sage presence also helped, according to some. Grinstein set the tone by taking a big pay cut after he stepped in as CEO in 2004. The longtime board member stepped in after Leo Mullin left in the wake of the bonus/pension controversy, which erupted after the airline spent tens of millions on the perks despite huge losses and job cuts. Grinstein also showed the door to most of the executives involved.

and

Delta management convinced a key committee of the airline's creditors that it needed to spread the stock and other compensation among a bigger pool of managers and rank-and-file employees.

The 74-year-old Grinstein's sage presence also helped, according to some. Grinstein set the tone by taking a big pay cut after he stepped in as CEO in 2004. The longtime board member stepped in after Leo Mullin left in the wake of the bonus/pension controversy, which erupted after the airline spent tens of millions on the perks despite huge losses and job cuts. Grinstein also showed the door to most of the executives involved.

Lead by example goes much farther with the rank-in-file than "do as I say, not as I do".

L4P, Lets face it. The only reason you posted on the US board is because no one reads the DL board!!!!!(usually). The only time their board got interesting was when the merger with US was a possibility. We know you really come to play on our board, so just admit it, you may not like US so much but we are much more fun!!! Regards as usual, Mama

L4P, Lets face it. The only reason you posted on the US board is because no one reads the DL board!!!!!(usually). The only time their board got interesting was when the merger with US was a possibility. We know you really come to play on our board, so just admit it, you may not like US so much but we are much more fun!!! Regards as usual, Mama

The Delta board is pretty lonely these days. Maybe I should start a thread about the latest rumor I heard: Delta merging with jetBlue to get their JFK terminal! :up:

The Delta board is pretty lonely these days. Maybe I should start a thread about the latest rumor I heard: Delta merging with jetBlue to get their JFK terminal! :up:
That would be no-good for DL, look at ALL Those travel Vouchers jetBlue issued the past week.

he-he-he. Sombody's on to me.

I still like US and the frontline folks. Loved the upgrade last week on the 321 from FLL and the fact it was done at the counter and no gate dance.....hummm. I slept the entire way back and don't rmemeber wheels up or touchdown. Did meet a very nice US employee who is the TWU rep from CLT. Great guy and just wished we had more time to talk. And of course with it being a 321 I missed a chance to fly with our favorite 320 pilot. :lol:

Was going to fly you guys back to MCO tonight as there were NO flights available on DL down tonight and back tomorrow (and we are talking big birds down and back). But I'm as sick as I have been in long time and could not make the trip...

Might be seeing you soon as well. I'll keep you posted.

I still like US and the frontline folks. Loved the upgrade last week on the 321 from FLL and the fact it was done at the counter and no gate dance.....hummm. I slept the entire way back and don't rmemeber wheels up or touchdown. Did meet a very nice US employee who is the TWU rep from CLT. Great guy and just wished we had more time to talk. And of course with it being a 321 I missed a chance to fly with our favorite 320 pilot. :lol:

Was going to fly you guys back to MCO tonight as there were NO flights available on DL down tonight and back tomorrow (and we are talking big birds down and back). But I'm as sick as I have been in long time and could not make the trip...

320 pilots fly the 319/320/321. So, you never know! ;)

I hope you are feeling better. I dealt with the cold thing for a few weeks and am thankful to be feeling better. Xtra coffee helped me deal with the chills, kept my hands warm too!. Let me know when you get back in town and hp fa, will you be available? Would be good to see you too!! Mama

I'm sure this will help with the morale. Nice to see a management team that understands and appreciates their employees. They insisted to the BOD and the creditors that the employees share in the future of the airline and be rewarded for their past sacrifices and it wasn't even in their contracts. Listening Tempe?

See Story

Delta Air Lines
Employees to receive lump-sum pay benefit
By Harry R. Weber
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 03/07/2007 11:12:30 PM MST

ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines Inc. plans to issue a lump-sum cash payment to many employees when the airline emerges from bankruptcy this spring, according to a newsletter sent this week to workers from Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein.
The exact amount of money was not disclosed, but the newsletter said all regular employees, not including officers and directors, will receive a lump-sum payment representing a percentage of their pay.
A majority of employees also will receive grants of unrestricted stock in the reorganized Delta.

if old ccy never listened to their employees before, why would tempe start now at least delta knows how to take care thier employees

I'm sure this will help with the morale. Nice to see a management team that understands and appreciates their employees. They insisted to the BOD and the creditors that the employees share in the future of the airline and be rewarded for their past sacrifices and it wasn't even in their contracts. Listening Tempe?

See Story

Delta Air Lines
Employees to receive lump-sum pay benefit
By Harry R. Weber
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 03/07/2007 11:12:30 PM MST
ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines Inc. plans to issue a lump-sum cash payment to many employees when the airline emerges from bankruptcy this spring, according to a newsletter sent this week to workers from Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein.
The exact amount of money was not disclosed, but the newsletter said all regular employees, not including officers and directors, will receive a lump-sum payment representing a percentage of their pay.
A majority of employees also will receive grants of unrestricted stock in the reorganized Delta.

Only There To Keep The Unions Out..Plain And Simple!!

i bet i can guess what their thinking in the sandcastle about this "that's it delta , go for broke so we can get you next time around "

i bet i can guess what their thinking in the sandcastle about this "that's it delta , go for broke so we can get you next time around "

“Theirâ€￾ is a possessive pronoun like “herâ€￾ or “our.â€￾ Everything else is “there.â€￾

Only There To Keep The Unions Out..Plain And Simple!!

I'm so sick of hearing that. Anything we get, "it's to keep the unions out".
Extra pay if we're in the top 3 for on-time-"it's to keep the unions out."
A new bidding system, where nobody sits reserve for more than 3 days a month-"it's to keep the unions out."
A lump sum pay out after BK-"it's to keep the unions out."
Satellite bases,so less people have to commute, and the company saves money on hotels-"it's to keep the union out."
Dude, whatever it takes! I'm glad I didn't spend the 39 bucks a month for the past 14 years on AFA ($6,552.00). I grew up, and still live, in Detroit. My whole family works/worked for the "big 3". Come visit us sometime, and see why I have my impression about unions.

Back