My Holiday Season Wish

sharonstoneseat

Advanced
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Please, I know that we are all going into the worst time of the year to be an airline employee, and I know that it has been a very emotional and disappointing year for the pilots but please, please, please, no more political commentary from the pilots during departure or arrival PLEASE!

It was occuring sporatically but in the last month it has gotten so extreme that for the first time in my entire flying career I almost walked off of a flight 5 minutes before scheduled departure as I was so humiliated in front of the passengers.

Please, no more rants against management, no more comments about the new name, the old name, sarcasm about the possible next name, the weight and balance paperwork, delays, cancellations, Philly, etc, etc, etc.

You vent and then leave us back there with passengers who you have worked up and then they start to get sarcastic with us, or pick on every little thing , or bust into the back galley to ask questions about the merger (tired of explaining it to them, we know it is far from finished but it should be as transparent as possible to the passengers) while you take your wit and your bravado and close the door, leaving me with pax who even look scared that a pilot who is pissed off is in charge of their flight.

And yes I know it is a minority, but things are going to be tense enough for us for the next 5 weeks, so please...apply peer pressure to the ones who feel the need to be Imus of the Skies instead of either ignoring it or applauding it.

Keep in mind that the public still knows that the Captian is the authority and you have more power to set the tone than anyone else. Please, no matter what occurs this holiday season please keep it warm, level, friendly and professional. It will make what will be a difficult time a little easier for the cabin crew.

Thank You

Please, I know that we are all going into the worst time of the year to be an airline employee, and I know that it has been a very emotional and disappointing year for the pilots but please, please, please, no more political commentary from the pilots during departure or arrival PLEASE!

It was occuring sporatically but in the last month it has gotten so extreme that for the first time in my entire flying career I almost walked off of a flight 5 minutes before scheduled departure as I was so humiliated in front of the passengers.

Please, no more rants against management, no more comments about the new name, the old name, sarcasm about the possible next name, the weight and balance paperwork, delays, cancellations, Philly, etc, etc, etc.

You vent and then leave us back there with passengers who you have worked up and then they start to get sarcastic with us, or pick on every little thing , or bust into the back galley to ask questions about the merger (tired of explaining it to them, we know it is far from finished but it should be as transparent as possible to the passengers) while you take your wit and your bravado and close the door, leaving me with pax who even look scared that a pilot who is pissed off is in charge of their flight.

And yes I know it is a minority, but things are going to be tense enough for us for the next 5 weeks, so please...apply peer pressure to the ones who feel the need to be Imus of the Skies instead of either ignoring it or applauding it.

Keep in mind that the public still knows that the Captian is the authority and you have more power to set the tone than anyone else. Please, no matter what occurs this holiday season please keep it warm, level, friendly and professional. It will make what will be a difficult time a little easier for the cabin crew.

Thank You

Fork tounge

No, that post actually reinforces my point. Passenger approached me when I was sitting on the jumpseat...I didn't start the fire and I defended the profession then as I empathize with it now.

But thanks for accenting my point on how difficult diplomacy is in the cabin and how exra vitriol is not needed to add to the scrutiny that the media and passengers are already putting on the airlines for the holidays.

No, that post actually reinforces my point. Passenger approached me when I was sitting on the jumpseat...I didn't start the fire and I defended the profession then as I empathize with it now.

But thanks for accenting my point on how difficult diplomacy is in the cabin and how exra vitriol is not needed to add to the scrutiny that the media and passengers are already putting on the airlines for the holidays.

What if an non-rev working for US Airways or an airline approached you...would you have done the same?

What if an non-rev working for US Airways or an airline approached you...would you have done the same?

Absolutely, my position is that any one who has the technical knowledge and psychological moxie to defy the law of gravity in a heavier-than-air machine with a million moving parts air while also taking resposbility for hundreds of lives per day deserves alot more respect than they are getting from their employers, passengers, the media or sadly, even from each other these days.

But maybe that is my point, even if they are not getting the respect they deserve I was requesting that they to speak respectfully when they pick up the PA as befits the profession. And it just that it makes my life easier, calm voices bring some calm, irritation and sarcasm are just as infectious.

There are plenty of places to vent, even here, but not in the aircraft.

Oh how embarrassing. I had heard of these types of juvenile announcements from the flight deck on the west side from our furloughed F/As that were out west. Isn't this place horrible enough to represent without the person flying the plane making dooshbag comments over the PA? No one cares, particularly the trailer trash they haul around.

Please sell us to someone else and let them merge with Allegiant, Spirit or Mesa...

Absolutely, my position is that any one who has the technical knowledge and psychological moxie to defy the law of gravity in a heavier-than-air machine with a million moving parts air while also taking resposbility for hundreds of lives per day deserves alot more respect than they are getting from their employers, passengers, the media or sadly, even from each other these days.

But maybe that is my point, even if they are not getting the respect they deserve I was requesting that they to speak respectfully when they pick up the PA as befits the profession. And it just that it makes my life easier, calm voices bring some calm, irritation and sarcasm are just as infectious.

There are plenty of places to vent, even here, but not in the aircraft.

Lindbergh, hope we can fly together again soon. Be careful on your next solo flight acoss the atlantic. Try to remember that you are just another spoke in the same wheel as the rest of us. Try being in back with these folks. At least work behind a locked door, which I protect.

Agreed here. Although I've given up trying to continuously apologize for the current state of affairs = "I appreciate your patience" (for whatever's then going on..or NOT happening)......the LAST thing I wish to do with any part of the traveling public's discuss this place. Plus...I've got "The Captain's Hiding Closet" with a door..and you guys are the direct contacts. You folks truly amaze me as to how well you manage to do the job during these times.

As a Captain . ..

Bottom line.

I do NOT lie to the customers. They deserve the truth.

Bus Driver.
Clarification......

No one is asking a Captain to lie, least of all an F/A who has to deal with the pax when they find out they have been lied to..

Requesting a hiatus of " personal assessment of the industry, the operation, the airport and the company" at least until the end of the holidays. Stating fact about your flight's operational status or situation is what I am asking pilot's to do. But embellishing status updates with personal feelings actually takes away from the facts or truth and makes my job more difficult.

Oh how embarrassing. I had heard of these types of juvenile announcements from the flight deck on the west side from our furloughed F/As that were out west. Isn't this place horrible enough to represent without the person flying the plane making dooshbag comments over the PA? No one cares, particularly the trailer trash they haul around.

Please sell us to someone else and let them merge with Allegiant, Spirit or Mesa...

We are together forever now! Believe me, we are as disappointed as you are. USscareways was not our first choice in merger partners. But, you make the best of what you get. Some financial guru's thought they could make a quick buck by combining the nations two worst airlines .... they were right, they got rich, the employees just got poorer. With any luck someone who actually wants to and knows how to run an airline will buy US and get this ship righted .... otherwise we will be in BK again soon.

Thank You
Great post! I flew with this idiot captain during the ALCS playoff series who got on the pa and berated the Red Sox everytime we flew in and out of Boston. This guy was originally from NY and transferred to Boston. At one point he actually got on the pa and said "this is my airplane" and went on to cheer the Yankees on a full flight Boston. Most people just rolled their eyes like I did. Unprofessional and tacky. This went on for 4 days. :down:

We are together forever now! Believe me, we are as disappointed as you are. USscareways was not our first choice in merger partners. But, you make the best of what you get. Some financial guru's thought they could make a quick buck by combining the nations two worst airlines .... they were right, they got rich, the employees just got poorer. With any luck someone who actually wants to and knows how to run an airline will buy US and get this ship righted .... otherwise we will be in BK again soon.

Honey, didn't you start, like, yesterday?

Just a quick look at your posts shows us you were hired by America West in 2005, before the merger, and went to class in March 2006, after the merger. So it sure looks to me like you CHOSE America West (why... all the real airlines were hiring). You also willingly went to training after the merger, by the looks of it the first post merger class with all the east MDA F/As. You also mentioned your hometown is Pittsburgh, and your first flight was on Allegheny and you saved the napkin, and you couldn't wait to fly with everyone.

Sure sounds like YOU chose US Airways.

Honey, didn't you start, like, yesterday?

Just a quick look at your posts shows us you were hired by America West in 2005, before the merger, and went to class in March 2006, after the merger. So it sure looks to me like you CHOSE America West (why... all the real airlines were hiring). You also willingly went to training after the merger, by the looks of it the first post merger class with all the east MDA F/As. You also mentioned your hometown is Pittsburgh, and your first flight was on Allegheny and you saved the napkin, and you couldn't wait to fly with everyone.

Sure sounds like YOU chose US Airways.

AMEN!