new 30 Embraer 175 aircraft to US Airways Express

That was for the 32in 78 customer model. Take 1in away per row 31in pitch and also remove the wardrobe (closet) and front galley (not gonna be serving much probably and still will have a rear galley, you could fit another 8 seats in there.

As for F/C the thing that keeps nagging at me is again the competitive aspects of the decision to not have a F/C Cabin. AirTran & Spirit offer a "Business Class" that frankly on the shorter hauls is no different than US F/C. Now what happens if JB and SWA decide to add a business class? Where does that leave US with it's single class 86 seat sardine cans? Then it comes down to fares and US hasn't demonstrated an ability to make a profit and offer fares that are competitive to SWA.

Then of course we have the third world banana republic level of customer service on the contract carriers versus SWA's and other LCC's.

What I'm failing to see is this "Hybrid" value proposition that is supposed to be the NEW US Airways.
AWA tried 1st class on the 1st CRJ700's that Mesa operated, but they soon dumped the idea.

Unless you are operating head-to-head with a carrier offering 1st class at a lower price, why bother with the complexity of 1st class. With the cost advantage that U will have, they can begin dominating markets and setting the standards for price and service. Few airlines will take the risk of offering more amenities at a higher cost and risk losing precious market share. Airline tickets are commodities that no one is willing to pay a premium for.

Parker is acutely aware of this, I'll bet.

With the cost advantage that U will have, they can begin dominating markets and setting the standards for price and service.
Setting the standard for service? :D What Kool-aid are you drinking? US doesn't set any standards for service, they keep lowering the bar.

UA and DL both have F-cabins and UA has E+ on their 70-seat jets. For US to put out an 86-seat sardine can E175 is little short of a joke.

I feel sick. I"m seriously considering quitting. There's just no point in being an actual employee of the airline anymore.

Same name, same hatred for thier employees. Nothing new about this US Airways.

Don't quit EMBFA - you are one of the only f/a's that i know at USAIRWAYS that actually has class and a passion for the industry. From the press release it looks as if they are replacing the 700-900 series... However i agree that the 170 should be at mainline. Keep doing the wonderful job you do. =) Don't touch this beauties booty!

Are these planes being added under the J4J protocol's?

I believe these will be all J4J aircraft staffed at 50%. I doubt however, that they will all be filled. The last Captain spots at Republic went pretty junior. Given that the 190's are getting close, I doubt any FO positions will be filled and only a handful of CA positions as well...

I believe these will be all J4J aircraft staffed at 50%. I doubt however, that they will all be filled. The last Captain spots at Republic went pretty junior. Given that the 190's are getting close, I doubt any FO positions will be filled and only a handful of CA positions as well...

My bet is that they claim no J4J for the first 20 airplanes and we will not contest it. There have been no backfill vacancies at CHQ/RPA since the inception of J4J to my knowledge and we haven't pressed that either. Maybe now, with the dismantling of MidAtlantic, we will press for the positions but I'm not holding my breath (I for one may accept a captain slot. I was going to do so earlier but held off due to the arbitration, and haven't had an opportunity since). Whether it affects me or not it would be nice to see the program adhered to properly.

:) Any place for these in the New US Airways?

July 25, 2006 — Honda Motor Co. announced plans Tuesday to start accepting sales orders this fall for the small jet it debuted last year.

"Aviation has been an important dream of Honda for more than four decades," Satoshi Toshida, Honda's senior managing director, said in a statement announcing the move at the Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture 2006 convention in Oshkosh.

"Our goal is consistent with the philosophy of other Honda products — to provide convenient and efficient transportation that will make people's lives better."

Honda said HondaJet's patented over-the-wing engine-mount configuration helps eliminate the need for a structure to mount the engines to the rear fuselage, maximizing space in the fuselage for passengers and luggage. It said the over-the-wing mount also reduces drag at high speed to improve fuel efficiency.

Honda said its prototype six-to-seven seat HondaJet has completed more than 240 hours of flight-testing since December 2003, achieving an altitude of 43,000 feet and a speed of 412 knots.
with in our effort to bring new value to customers

Can anybody tell me why these aircraft must go to Republic. There is a furloughed workforce in excess of 1500 who have not been able to come back yet. Why are these aircraft being outsourced. It is discouraging for people to see this.

Even if the aircraft won't be operated at mainline there are already two wholly owned subsidiaries (with very low morale) that could operate these airframes at cost that is at parity to Republic's.

I really thought Doug was different...why can't these aircraft be "in house"?

Hey to tell you mr age discrimination union hater, but Republic is unionized.

How about "morale" management. This would be a worthy gesture from the leadership and would get "serious mileage" in terms of improved performance and customer satisfaction.

What would prevent the "in house" MEC's to agree to pay scales that would be industry "averages" for this type aircraft in order to secure the flying for the folks that actually work (did work) for the company?

Franchising out people's lives will do nothing but garner ill will towards the leadership and further growing sentiments of distrust. How can this be constructive? Is this "union management" and not "employee betrayal"?

Decisions like this can make some workers unproductive. Instead of taking pride in their work and feeling a sense of ownership in what they do they become indiffernt and "disconnected" and much much less concerned about company's welfare and bottom line. I know this because I see it daily... :(

My understanding is the primary reason for contract carriers is labor rates. I also am led to understand that most airlines guarantee a rate of return of 3 to 5 percent over cost.

Interesting approach, PineyBob. For many years, airline pilot unions took the view that there should be a "floor" under which no mainline pilot should be paid, even for smaller jets. That led to anomalies like F100 pilots being paid far more per passenger than big jet pilots. I can certainly understand airline managements' desire to get pay more in line with productivity. Dunno whether mainline unions would go for regional jets (and the new larger RJs like 170s and 190s) at regional pay rates at the mainline. But it is certainly appealing from the pax point of view.

I don't agree with the 3 to 5 percent margin for current regional contracts. The contract regionals generally get costs plus more like 8% to 10% profit margins, although those spreads have been slowly declining.