New Atlantic Routes?

Does the 757 have a lower-lobe crew rest option? That's what DL is supposedly putting into some of its 767's.

Does the 757 have a lower-lobe crew rest option? That's what DL is supposedly putting into some of its 767's.

I don't think so. The 777 has an option for an overhead crew rest, not really practical on a 767 however.

Well, now AA management can not only make pax mad with late departures and arrivals, but now they can make them uncomfortable for the 8 hours in between . . . like Delta.

Quote from from Laurie Curtis posted by Kirpatrick:

757 International Aircraft

We are moving forward with reconfiguring 18 Boeing 757 for use on international routes. The reconfiguration includes the installation of new seats, new cabin interiors and updated in-flight entertainment systems throughout the aircraft. The project is slated to begin later this year for completion by the end of 2009.
I understand a 757 (AA2418) is scheduled into Tulsa today. Would this be the first to be converted?

Well, now AA management can not only make pax mad with late departures and arrivals, but now they can make them uncomfortable for the 8 hours in between . . . like Delta.

And CO, and US. Apparently, there's good yields to be made flying 757's over the pond. I wonder if, in the late 70's when Boeing designed this aircraft, it was ever sold or intended as a transatlantic bird when many airlines were still flying the 707, DC10's and L1011's. Speaking of the 707....that's a single-aisle 3x3 seating aircraft.

Quote from from Laurie Curtis posted by Kirpatrick:
I understand a 757 (AA2418) is scheduled into Tulsa today. Would this be the first to be converted?
I think the plan was to convert one now and test it out (domestically, I would imagine) to put it through its paces.

And CO, and US. Apparently, there's good yields to be made flying 757's over the pond. I wonder if, in the late 70's when Boeing designed this aircraft, it was ever sold or intended as a transatlantic bird when many airlines were still flying the 707, DC10's and L1011's. Speaking of the 707....that's a single-aisle 3x3 seating aircraft.

The answer is "NO" (at least publicly). The 757 was originally designed and marketed as a replacement for the 727-200 with extremely low per-seat-mile cost. It was supposed to have about the same range as the 727-200 (mid-con but not trans-con).

However, at the time, many of the "old school" Boeing engineers were still around. It was important to them to "outperform" expectations. Initially, the 757 didn't sell well (airlines had just been deregulated and there wasn't a whole lot of money to spend on airplanes).

But, later on in the 80's, Boeing began to really tout the trans-con/shorter international range and airlines were desperate to replace aging 707/DC8's and -- even -- replace the DC10/L1011 on thinner routes. So, by the late-80's and early 90's, the poor-selling 757 became a hot-selling commodity.

The answer is "NO" (at least publicly). The 757 was originally designed and marketed as a replacement for the 727-200 with extremely low per-seat-mile cost. It was supposed to have about the same range as the 727-200 (mid-con but not trans-con).

That's why they put 10 (ten...) hours of fuel in it.... :blink:

<_< <_< Sources say they do- especially the 300 version. Perfect for off season TA and SOuth America, Year round Caribbean and Latin America as well.

1) The 757-300s range sucks compared to the 752. It can't get much farther than EWR-LHR (and during the winter, LHR-EWR would be a problem).
2) The 753 carriers only about 10-15 less passengers than the 763 in a 2-class configuration, but significantly less cargo which is important for Latin American markets.

Furthermore, nobody is missing the 752 either, because the 737-900ER does everything the 752 does, except the 739ER does it at significantly cheaper costs.

The only advantage the 752 has over the 739ER is range, but there are so many used 752s on the market that airlines who need them, can find them.