New Atlantic Routes?

You really expect bunks on a flight that results in a shorter workday than someone flying domestic turns? Please....

Then again, as aged as some of the international crews are looking, I guess they do need their mid-flight nap.
Three things:

1) Nobody said anything about bunks. Nobody expects anything more than what the contract stipulates for crew rest. The rest seats are a negotiated item that came with a price tag and the company is obligated to honor the agreement. Period.

2) It is disingenuous to compare flying a domestic turn to flying an international trip. The latter results in a crew member losing at least one full night of sleep and entails major time zone changes with attendant jet lag.

3) Your comment about the age of some flight attendants does not reflect upon you very well.

Art in Miami

You really expect bunks on a flight that results in a shorter workday than someone flying domestic turns? Please....

Then again, as aged as some of the international crews are looking, I guess they do need their mid-flight nap.

You are showing your true colors now. Let me give you one example. CDG-JFK on flight #45 runs around 8:15 gate to gate. The duty day is at 9:45 minutes. That is of course if things run on time. Wakeup time for this flight is at 0650 Paris time for a 0750 pickup. That means the crew is getting up at 0050 their body time. This comes after staying UP all night the night before. There are reasons international crews are paid more and one of them is because the flying is so difficult on the body.

btw...what is your age?..and do you believe you should be fired when you reach a certain age?..like the good old days?

<_< ------ On TWA 747's, on International flights, we had "Crew Berth Kit's", for long haul flights, in the cockpit, behind the Capt's seat in the L/H tunnel area.

And here is the answer:

The majority of the markets we are considering for 757 international service are
less than 8 hours and do not require crew rest. However, we plan to curtain off
the last two rows on the right side of the main cabin for use as crew rest on
flights of 8 hours or more.

Art in Miami

Thanks for the information Art!

Just as I suspected, the pee rows just for us! woo-hoo. Sign me up!

Thats AAs plan..there is an active dispute on this issue between the two parties.

This issue is going forward to an Arbitrator in December...(from APFA)

Curtained off last row of M/C is not industry leading, a perceived violation of the agreement and hence the grievance.

re ORD-SNN I would say it was before the addition of the language to the agreement..? I want to say that "Industry Leading" thing evolved with some action following ratification of our current agreement...

stay tuned this isnt over..

ORD-SNN went away in either October or November of 2007.

btw...what is your age?..and do you believe you should be fired when you reach a certain age?..like the good old days?

Nope. I've seen FA's in their 60's who are in better physical shape than some in their 30's and 40's.

That said, I'm beginning to believe in weigh-in's again. One of the FA's a couple months back couldn't clear the armrests without walking sideways when going down the aisle.... And before you start claiming "try popping out a couple kids", it was a guy. He would have been hard pressed to get thru the overwing exit on a MD80...

And here is the answer:

The majority of the markets we are considering for 757 international service are
less than 8 hours and do not require crew rest. However, we plan to curtain off
the last two rows on the right side of the main cabin for use as crew rest on
flights of 8 hours or more.

Art in Miami

Found this out:

APFA has an expedited Presidential Grievance filed against the
> company's plans to use the last row of seats as crew rest seats. We
> believe the contract is clear that a dedicated crew rest area with
> appropriate seats, like that on the 767-300, is required. The
> arbitration is scheduled for the first week in DEC.

Found this out:

APFA has an expedited Presidential Grievance filed against the
> company's plans to use the last row of seats as crew rest seats. We
> believe the contract is clear that a dedicated crew rest area with
> appropriate seats, like that on the 767-300, is required. The
> arbitration is scheduled for the first week in DEC.

Is there any possibility they could use the blocked seat next to the pilot rest seat? How many F/A's will be staffed on the Intl flights 5 or 6?

Nope. I've seen FA's in their 60's who are in better physical shape than some in their 30's and 40's.

That said, I'm beginning to believe in weigh-in's again. One of the FA's a couple months back couldn't clear the armrests without walking sideways when going down the aisle.... And before you start claiming "try popping out a couple kids", it was a guy. He would have been hard pressed to get thru the overwing exit on a MD80...

I too am all for weigh ins!!! I have had my battle with weight no doubt, but i have never gotten to the point of some of these people out here on the line.. I for one think if they should not have to weigh in, they should at least have to make it through the smallest window exit in the fleet of a/c... We have some that cant even hardly walk due to age and hip replacements etc.. I was walking through LAX the other day and we were talking about this very thing, we rounded the corner and couldn't believe our eyes, it was 3 of the fattest f/a's in our ranks for sure. We all just looked at each other.. they couldnt have made it through the window if they lost 100lbs.. Crazy, it is a safety issue, and should be addtessed.

When I went through recall training last year we had to do just that: go through the smallest window exit and fasten both lap and shoulder harness in a jumpseat to show "compliance." I doubt if this requirement is repeated during EPT's.

MK

Is there any possibility they could use the blocked seat next to the pilot rest seat? How many F/A's will be staffed on the Intl flights 5 or 6?

Not a chance. That seat is blocked off so the resting pilot can at least try and get some quality sleep in. With the full scale attack on the APA by Mr. Arpey, don't expect the APA to give an inch on anything.

Not a chance. That seat is blocked off so the resting pilot can at least try and get some quality sleep in. With the full scale attack on the APA by Mr. Arpey, don't expect the APA to give an inch on anything.

The one seat next to the pilot will not quite cut it.

I wonder where they will put it and what type of seat it will be. Would be kind of funny if they put 4 Business seats in the last row of coach. You'd see people clamoring for the last row of the airplane which is unheard of unless people find out it is a crew row. Once they find that out it immediately becomes the sought after row and there's no way to keep people out of it unless you remove the seat cushions and hide them. It always amazes me that you could have all of your bags on the seat and under the seat and the traytables down but you'll come back and some knucklehead will be all lounged out surrounded by crew bags and food.

Back