New Info About Psa?

skyguy25

Advanced
Nov 30, 2003
So whats the story now over at PSA? Are they still slated for delivery this month of the CRJ-700? I see in the system they are now serving: MKE. ATL. CLE. MEM and a host of other current and former mainline flights. And what is this rumor about point-to-point with CRJ-700's out of DAY and CAK to compete directly with FL in the MCO and TPA markets? Thoughts and reactions. Would this type of point to point work -or be beneficial if true?

One would think though, that with MAA being a brand new airline they would start the point to point with them instead of PSA? Then again, that makes to much sense to do something right the first time.

I think they would be good markets and open up some of the hub seats for more profitable connecting customers. It would also offer service to compete with DL, in addition to FL, from Ohio. I also think IND/CMH/CLE in addition to DAY/CAK would be good point to point routes to offer. There are lots of possibilities with the point to points.

Don't you work there?

Point to point is a good idea. Not too sure about doing anything out of DAY or CAK, though, is there much of a point? Dosent AirTran serve some markets out of CAK? With our already weak O&D at PIT, I'm not sure we should take any more traffic from the area... I'd like to see more service from the three focus cities- they have strong enough traffic that they don't pull from PHL.

I am glad to see more and more PSA jets lately, they seem to be handling the expansion well. I hope they aren't sold.

I still think its silly to have both Mid and PSA, and the EMB170 as well as the inferior CRJ700, and the mass hiring at PSA while furloughees wait for Mid. Seems like a waste of money, talent, time, and energy to me... but they don't ask me!

Makes sense. CAK is THE fastest growing airport in the United States and making quite an impact on CO's operation in CLE. I bet they wished they didn't pull out in 1997. CAK could support a market to anywhere really, especially Hartford and a host of other cities in the east and without a doubt LGA. MCO, TPA, and PHL.

skyguy25 said:
Makes sense. CAK is THE fastest growing airport in the United States and making quite an impact on CO's operation in CLE. I bet they wished they didn't pull out in 1997. CAK could support a market to anywhere really, especially Hartford and a host of other cities in the east and without a doubt LGA. MCO, TPA, and PHL.
We flew non-stop flights out of IND, CAK, CMH, ROD, BUF, SYR, etc. and loads were always good. In fact we even flew into PIE (St. Pete) on some of them.

Mainline should seriously consider doing more of something at CAK. The amount of people when reviewing the numbers of PAX travelling to that airport from CLE and PIT is astounding. CO in CLE never thought at little ole' CAK would ever amount to anything. USAirways has the advantage to reclaim loyal PAX that went to CLE and with CAK's fair structure they have people who travel from here at PIT to CAK to save hundreds of dollars. If AirForce 1 can land there so can a A-330!!! (joke!!).

RowUnder,

The CRJ700 is a vast improvement over the 50 seater. They lowered the floor (believe it or not) which gives the cabin a much larger feel and brings the cabin windows to a normal viewing height. There are two lavatories now. The rear lav is much, much larger -- similar to the EMB145 with plenty of room for a baby-changing table etc. Overheads are larger and there is a forward baggage compartment for oversized carry-ons.

It reminds me a great deal of the F28 when I ride on it. I agree with you with regard to the 50 seater though. Although i'd much rather ride on a Canadair product any time than any of the Embraer 145 derivitives.

I work at PSA. The latest rumor floating around here is we are transfering our order for the 50 seat CRJs to Mesa and going to take delivery of CRJ-700 instead. The first revenue flight in the CRJ-700 is supposed to be in mid April. The part rumor I heard about transfering the 50 seaters to Mesa came from unreliable sources, but the part about flying 70 seaters by April came from several very good sources. Management is supposed to make an official anouncement soon.

Have the two pilot unions, PSA and Mainline, come to an agreement on staffing 70 seater at the wholly owneds? That was the last hurtle before PSA could take delivery of any 70 seat aircraft. Mainline wants them staffed 100% by furloughees and the PSA pilots were afraid if we switched all our flying to 70 seaters all our current pilots would be furloughed. Typical ALPA conflict of interests.

Also, does anyone know about the jet for jobs pool? There is a rumor going around that all the jets for jobs people that bid for PSA FO slots are already working here and we will soon have to hire off the streets to fill FO slots. I have a hard time believing that.

UseYourHead said:
We flew non-stop flights out of IND, CAK, CMH, ROD, BUF, SYR, etc. and loads were always good. In fact we even flew into PIE (St. Pete) on some of them.
I know we had scheduled service from CMH and IND to LAX and Florida at one time or another. CAK, ROC, BUF and SYR had mostly weekend only charters to MCO, LAS and PIE.

Pool for PSA F/Os from the J4J program is almost dry. They went to the last pilot with a preference for the prior class and will start with any new wannabees and then go back up checking the folks that bypassed the first time for the March classes. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a hard time filling the March classes with J4J pilots.

Swaayze, thanks for the info!! If they hire just one guy off the street to fly FO on the jet, all us guys still on the Dornier get bypass pay. There is talk going around that PSA might park its Dorniers earlier than originally planned because we are going to have staffing problems on the jet. I hope they send the dorniers away early. I'll get a three month paid vacation while I wait for a CRJ training slot to open.