Non-Rev Nightmare

RumorS

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This one really shocked me..... A certain employee was traveling out of RSW with there son on 07oct....Tryed all day to get on a flight to CLT....No Luck....But surprise there bags went on there way without them (so much for positive bag match). So they
leave with nothing but the clothes they are wearing and return the next morning bright and early... Go to the RSW ticket counter were they are given seat assignment for the 6 am flight. Feeling relieved that they are going to get on the flight they head through security to the gate. Time to board. IM sorry but I will have to deny your boarding. Why? You are not dressed properly, you will need to change. Trying to explain that there bags went yesterday in error and that they had nothing to change into. Not to mention what they were wearing was okay all day yesterday and earlier at the ticket counter when the rep gave them seats? Sorry you will need to purchase a ticket if you want to go. So they did. Forced to buy 2 tickets totaling 820.00. How sad is this. Making your own employee pay to get on a flight that had PLENTY of seats. This company just amazes me. Hey Dave that RSW rep just collected 820.00 for this company maybe you should send them 2 free first class upgrades!!!!!!! The Employee has tryed speaking with several departments and no luck in getting the money refunded. Any suggestions for them????

Let me also add that it was 5:30 in the morning and everything was closed, and the next flight was oversold!! No choice but to purchase the ticket. At least they received the ED20 discount! How nice! Any opinions?

Would be interesting to know exactly what they were wearing, and if the son was considered underage for attire purposes or of an adult requirement for attire.Did they ask for an ato super or a 2nd opinion? Too many facts missing to form an opinion.
If one or both were improperly dressed in any way, (something that shd never be an issue as it is a no brainer and they deserved the dilemna if they did so regardless of the flight being open), than the 1st day agents were remiss in their duties enforcing it, the 2nd day agts were not. Similar to one airport collecting one dmup01 when it shd have been 2, and on the return ato asks correctly for 2 and the pax angrily insists and reinsists only need 1, and you don't compound a mistake on top of a mistake if it is recognized later.

Just to comment on the PBM issues as it relates to the employee.
It is ok for the bags of active employees to travel without them...however the bags of spouses,children,parents and companions must travel with these passengers..but do not take my word for it..because it is in FOCUS.

Sometimes in doing our jobs when dealing with nonrev compassion should enter in somewhere...If a nonrev passengers was bumped all day on a flight on the previous day and their bags went on before them..I would let them on the plane as an exception and make it clear to them that they must buy the required clothing when they get to CLT before they attempt to make their connection since they sell clothing in CLT and I would document that passengers record that they have agreed to buy proper clothing attire once they reach CLT.

[P]From what I remember, it means no shorts, no tee-shirts, no flip-flops, no ripped jeans. This is coach.[/P]
[P]F class used to mean oxford or polo with sport coat and slacks.[/P]

The RSW agent who sold them the one way at ED20 was wrong also because that discount does not aply to B8US/Y8/F8 fares...that's in FOCUS too! Wonder how they would feel if it were them ? The employee should have went right over to JETBLUE just to get back up north !

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/9/2002 7:38:22 AM RealityCheck wrote:

Would be interesting to know "exactly" what they were wearing, and if the son was considered underage for attire purposes or of an adult requirement for attire.Did they ask for an ato super or a 2nd opinion? Too many facts missing to form an opinion.
If one or both were improperly dressed in any way, (something that shd never be an issue as it is a no brainer and they deserved the dilemna if they did so regardless of the flight being open), than the 1st day agents were remiss in their duties enforcing it, the 2nd day agts were not. Similar to one airport collecting one dmup01 when it shd have been 2, and on the return ato asks correctly for 2 and the pax angrily insists and reinsists only need 1, and you don't compound a mistake on top of a mistake if it is recognized later.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Lets just say they were presentable. They were clean and there clothes were not ripped. I didn't want to get into detail about what they were wearing. It comes down to the fact that employee or not they still sat in those same seats that the ticket counter originally assigned to them, still wearing the same clothes. If this was first class I would understand but COACH! Wondering if they made them hide the ID on the plane? Surely if they were not properly dressed they would not want them sitting in that seat representing USAirways??? And about the Sup or a second opinion, after trying to explain that there luggage was gone and other options it was to late. I understand your example about the Dmup01 because it happens all the time. The sad thing is that most the time it is Just overlooked, corrected with an agent error waiver, or the coupon is just never collected. Airports make many mistakes just as we do, no one is perfect. IMO what happened to this non rev was LOW and cruel. IM hoping that in the end this turns out for them and the monies are refunded!

My question is, if this was an employee why did they not know the dress code. It is contained in every new hire packet.
My understanding is that the Mesa dress code is different then USAirways. Still whenever you nonrev on any carrier it is the responsibility of Emploryee and the traveler to call the airline and check on the dress code.
Knowing the rules is the responsibilty of the employee. By the way if anyone send their child or dependant out nonreving. Make sure they have a paper ticket, this too is included in the rules.
Just one correction, a sport coat is no longer required for First or Business class. Collared shirt, no jeans, no tennis shoes, no sandles or flip-flops is the current policy.

In all the talk of the atrocity of this, many seem to forget that these are the exact same rules that your CUSTOMERS have to deal with....if I miss my return flight and cannot contact the airline in advance - tough - pay the $480 for the one way ticket home.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/9/2002 12:32:37 PM KCFlyer wrote:

In all the talk of the atrocity of this, many seem to forget that these are the exact same rules that your CUSTOMERS have to deal with....if I miss my return flight and cannot contact the airline in advance - tough - pay the $480 for the one way ticket home.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Fortunately we don't have to put up with the dress code nonsense. But the attitude comes from the same place. This agent is of a well known type. Such people should be rooted out and put in a position more compatible with their abilities. They shouldn't be dealing with passengers -- revenue or non-rev.

As Always the case we would have allowed a paying passenger to walk all over the fare rules and be sold a 1/2 of a rt rate, but because its an employee they stick it too them. I'm sure she walked away from this experince knowing what kind of company she truly works for.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/9/2002 1:21:58 PM usresman wrote:

As Always the case we would have allowed a paying passenger to walk all over the fare rules and be sold a 1/2 of a rt rate, but because its an employee they stick it too them. I'm sure she walked away from this experince knowing what kind of company she truly works for.
----------------
[/blockquote]

This is very true. After speaking with this rep on the phone I can tell you that they are well aware of what kind of company they work for. They will never non rev on U again. ID90 will be how they travel from now on. Not only are we losing our passengers to OA but now are employees. Dave are you getting the point?????

reality Check ... I had all that info as well she happens to be a good friend of mine. Just trying to help her out. I think that you posted TO MUCH INFORMATION. Thats all I will say because I am not in the mood for one of your sarcastic comments!

I have heard stories like this before. I rarely non-rev, especially since I have to take the kids with me and to hope for 3 seats on a flight to Los Angeles or Seattle is a struggle. But I will say that I never take ANY chances with the dress code. I always dress for first class (even though we go coach) as well as the kids (ages 8 and 10) so that I can never be turned away based on attire. Also I always carry a change of clothes for each of us in our one carry on. Especially an extra shirt in case something gets spilled.

I know it is a sad state of affairs when one has to be this preparred. But I have heard of too many of these stories not to be preparred.

I also know that all of the gate agents who have assisted me (on my annual journey across the country) have been EXTREAMLY helpfull and considerate. So far I have yet to come accoss an agent who decides to play a power game. I'm sure it can happen, but I do think most of the U employees are really a great group. It's when you meet up with the one or two that have a point to prove that gives the Company a bad reputation.

So dress in your Sunday best and you can't be turned away for a dress code. I do realize it is a pain (as jeans & and a T-shirt are much more comfortable) but I do remember as a kid in the 1960's & 1970's that even as a paying passenger you wore really nice clothes to travel in. It was considered a special occaision and it was considered good manners to wear nice clothes when you travelled by air. I am sure this is why the dress code is still in effect. It predates most of us to a time when it was just the accepted practice for everyone to ware nice clothes. I can also remember getting dressed-up to go downtown to go shopping (this of course was before the concept of a mall). Who would now ever think as going to the mall as a place where one would wear their best clothes to just go shopping. Times have changed. I think the airlines just want to hang on to the concept that flying is special and to show respect, one presents themselves in their best.

And to think I'm only 42 and remember all the dress-up stuff. I also remember working in Corporate america before casual day. The 1980's were strickly white shirts and suites. Good times and casual dress makes the mark in the 1990's. I bet as the economy starts to receed even more you will see companies go back to the days of the suits. Hard times = stricter dress codes Good times = casual standards.