Non Rev Roll Over Question

DallasConehead said:
True that, and it is what it is, I can also take my business elsewhere a fly the best deal on the open market as well.

You got 32, I got 30, it just isn't what it was before.

These guys don't care about you anymore, there is no reason to care about them, the paradigm has changed that's the sad reality.

Since AA doesn't go to my usual destination, I have joined the FF club of AA's biggest competitor.  Now, when I need to travel for leisure and will purchase a ticket anyway, I go for the miles and perks.  (I actually flew a paid round-trip LGA-PIT on that "other carrier" recently since I had to be somewhere and get back on schedule.)

Sadly, I doubt AA will ever fly to my destination of choice since Doug was moaning about having to find new destinations for all the wide-bodies being delivered in the next few years.  I doubt AA will pick MNL any time soon.

(Funny....Delta and United don't seem to have problems finding ways to make their huge fleets of wide-bodies productive and profitable.)

FWIW, nonrev is still good for the occasional international impulse trip. I know a couple people who headed over to China in the past month with nearly empty premium cabins, and some who got to Europe.

Domestic? It's a crapshoot. And anyone who denies the "let's do a firesale within 72 hours of departure" is lying. It most definitely happens and it's quite common if Spirit or Allegiant are in the market.

Just look on Kayak and buy on the 20% discount when you see it. It can often wind up cheaper than a last minute hotel and meals from staying at the airport all day

tkelly911 said:
And now we have to worry about people changing from D2 to D1 after they are already checked in to further muddy the waters.
Buy a ticket and don't worry about any of it.

tkelly911 said:
And now we have to worry about people changing from D2 to D1 after they are already checked in to further muddy the waters.
No, you don't.  Travel rules and policy specifically prohibit that behavior.  First off, under the same PNR, the computer will not allow such a change to the listing.  And, if they try the cancel the D2 listing after they've checked in, then make a new listing with a D1 classification, the computer red flags the reservation to make sure the agent sees what the employee did.  If someone does it, the agent gives them one chance to agree to go back to D2 and original check-in time.  If they don't agree, the agent is supposed to cancel the entire reservation and file a report with the travel department.  It can result in anything from suspension of all travel benefits for a specified period of time up to and including termination.

jimntx said:
No, you don't.  Travel rules and policy specifically prohibit that behavior.  First off, under the same PNR, the computer will not allow such a change to the listing.  And, if they try the cancel the D2 listing after they've checked in, then make a new listing with a D1 classification, the computer red flags the reservation to make sure the agent sees what the employee did.  If someone does it, the agent gives them one chance to agree to go back to D2 and original check-in time.  If they don't agree, the agent is supposed to cancel the entire reservation and file a report with the travel department.  It can result in anything from suspension of all travel benefits for a specified period of time up to and including termination.
That's been changed.

Switching between D1 and D2
This one represents a clarification. Each legacy carrier handled travelers switching between D1 and D2 after check in differently. At legacy American, travelers weren’t able to switch from D1 to D2 or vice versa after check in. At legacy US Airways, travelers were allowed to switch from D1 to D2 by creating a new listing which then required a new check in time.

Because we don’t have a technology solution to disallow D2 to D1 changes after checking in, beginning today, travelers will be able to switch D1 to D2 or vice versa after your initial check in. This is the only solution in the short-term given our systems cannot track or monitor these changes. Allowing one to change to a D1 priority after check in also allows employees more flexibility in managing their non-rev travel banks. To change your pass usage after check in, you must cancel your original listing and create a new PNR – which will change your original time of check in. While you can make this change in NRTP, do not ask airport personnel to change your boarding priority for you. And please note that boarding priority changes must be made more than one hour before your domestic flight or two hours before your international flight.

As a Belgian employee at Texaco used to say "I didn't knew that."  And, as a former programmer/systems analyst/etc, that is baloney where they say "we don't have a technology solution."  That has got to be one of the easiest issues to program on any IBM mainframe computer--simply disable the code that allows the change.  Also, baloney about "enabling employees to better manage their pass bank."  D1 are saved for those must travel situations--such as, return from vacation flights where you HAVE to be at work the next day.  Now, they are going to be used to screw other nonrev travelers by people who can't be bothered putting forth a little effort to get themselves checked in.  I hope they don't allow a change back to D2 if you decide you don't need to use a D1 after all.

tkelly911 said:
that is not supposed to happen.if they are caught they will lose flight benefits.

Anyway...

I made it via FDJS and my son (along with like 5 other non-revs) flew in the small number rows - 1 through 4 :)

And wow! It's in the high 30s out here in the mid-afternoon.

We're driving to Denver for skiing in a couple of weeks and then he's gonna wanna getaway with a confirmed reservation back to MCO.

Jim, if you're in Keystone MLK holiday week you can find me on School Marm or Discovery. Don't look for me on Devil Go Dare ;)

Justme said:

Jim, if you're in Keystone MLK holiday week you can find me on School Marm or Discovery. Don't look for me on Devil Go Dare ;)
No worries.  I can ski School Marm all day myself.  I have nothing left to prove in life that requires moguls.  I mean watch the teenagers going fast down a mogul run.  That looks WAY too much like working for a living.  If I wanted to work for a living I wouldn't have become a flight attendant.   :lol:

eolesen said:
FWIW, nonrev is still good for the occasional international impulse trip. I know a couple people who headed over to China in the past month with nearly empty premium cabins, and some who got to Europe.

Domestic? It's a crapshoot. And anyone who denies the "let's do a firesale within 72 hours of departure" is lying. It most definitely happens and it's quite common if Spirit or Allegiant are in the market.

Just look on Kayak and buy on the 20% discount when you see it. It can often wind up cheaper than a last minute hotel and meals from staying at the airport all day

Yeah.  This past week or so, if one wanted to emigrate to TLV it is No Problemo getting out of PHL.  But, of course, you would actually need to emigrate since there is no getting back.

jimntx said:
 D1 are saved for those must travel situations--such as, return from vacation flights where you HAVE to be at work the next day.  

Really?   A D1 will get you to work on time?  In what universe?

A D1 MIGHT get you to work on time because it gives you, at best, a teeny edge.

What WILL get you to work on time is your credit card and the purchase of a ticket.   (Well, even that's iffy if the flight cancels and the next availability is two days after your shift starts.)

Latest posts

Back