Non Rev Roll Over Question

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
Do non revs get rolled over to the first flight of the next day if they don't get on the last flight of the night??

thanks!

CMH_GSE said:
If they ask to be, they are.
Thanks CMH, I'm trying to decide if I should spend the night at MCO on Thursday to increase my chances of getting out on Friday morning. The way things are looking at the moment there might be quite a few people (some that are listed on today's flights) that will already be ahead of me. And I'm not very good at speedy check-in so I'd probably be the last D1 of those that check in online on Thursday morning.

It's a mess out there!

Justme said:
Thanks CMH, I'm trying to decide if I should spend the night at MCO on Thursday to increase my chances of getting out on Friday morning. The way things are looking at the moment there might be quite a few people (some that are listed on today's flights) that will already be ahead of me. And I'm not very good at speedy check-in so I'd probably be the last D1 of those that check in online on Thursday morning.

It's a mess out there!
Where are you headed?

This past week has been the worst I have seen for non-revving. Many revenue passengers were listed as standby and then non-revs on several flights I was listing for. Never saw so many backed up passengers. I could have made the first leg but the second flight to several locations were out of the question and the return flights back home were also full. I postponed the trip for a full weeks.
The weather and holiday traffic really made a mess for both paying passengers and non-revs.

AANOTOK said:
Where are you headed?
Heading to Phoenix for work. The first flight on Friday is holding steady. It just seems like there are 70 or 80 oversolds MCO-PHX the next couple of days (and same story with MCO-PHL and CLT), with no flights to put them on. I can't imagine revenue pax hanging out for days at their own expense trying to get on a flight, but with every flight oversold since Sunday it seems like that is what's happening.

For dash8roa, yup I guess that those nearly a thousand mainline cxl's on Sat and Mon have jammed everything up but good. 

Doug obliquely pointed out why non-revving is getting to be a non-benefit during the last pilot Crew News in DFW.  Someone asked if the company was "dumping" capacity at very low prices 24 hours before departure just to get fannies in the empty seat at any price.  He denied that AA was doing that, but he did point out that the modern paradigm at all the airlines is an 85% load factor as opposed to the target 65% in decades past.   He acknowledged that the new reality means it will always be more difficult to non-rev from here on in.

That bears repeating: IT WILL AWAYS BE MORE DIFFICULT TO NON-REV FROM HERE ON IN!

Given the daily reality of 85% load factors, I find it incredible that anyone who actually MUST travel (to that wedding, to that graduation, to that cruise ship, TO WORK, etc.) will try to travel "on the cheap" and non-rev.  (Oh, and in late December, EVERYBODY is D1 since they are about to expire anyway.)  And to attempt it during a holiday peak season is simply stupid.  That 85% load factor is average every day now; during the holidays, it is likely more than 90%.  With situations like that, it only takes ONE 90% loaded flight (possibly including flights of other carriers) from your departure city to cancel and fill every other flight that day, probably the next day and possibly several days.  

One bright spot in this scenario (and I think Doug pointed it out,) AA has an employee discount of 20% off whatever fare one can find online for a reserved seat.  Holiday time, that would be the ONLY sensible way to "non-rev."

nycbusdriver said:
Doug obliquely pointed out why non-revving is getting to be a non-benefit during the last pilot Crew News in DFW.  Someone asked if the company was "dumping" capacity at very low prices 24 hours before departure just to get fannies in the empty seat at any price.  He denied that AA was doing that, but he did point out that the modern paradigm at all the airlines is an 85% load factor as opposed to the target 65% in decades past.   He acknowledged that the new reality means it will always be more difficult to non-rev from here on in.

That bears repeating: IT WILL AWAYS BE MORE DIFFICULT TO NON-REV FROM HERE ON IN!

Given the daily reality of 85% load factors, I find it incredible that anyone who actually MUST travel (to that wedding, to that graduation, to that cruise ship, TO WORK, etc.) will try to travel "on the cheap" and non-rev.  (Oh, and in late December, EVERYBODY is D1 since they are about to expire anyway.)  And to attempt it during a holiday peak season is simply stupid.  That 85% load factor is average every day now; during the holidays, it is likely more than 90%.  With situations like that, it only takes ONE 90% loaded flight (possibly including flights of other carriers) from your departure city to cancel and fill every other flight that day, probably the next day and possibly several days.  

One bright spot in this scenario (and I think Doug pointed it out,) AA has an employee discount of 20% off whatever fare one can find online for a reserved seat.  Holiday time, that would be the ONLY sensible way to "non-rev."
I'm still learning!!

Doug may also find that recruiting AND retaining top-notch employees becomes difficult if the benefit becomes unavailable that most people have as the #1 reason (at least in the back of their mind) for going to work for an airline in the first place.  As an industry, we don't have a great track record in the "staying in business" arena.

nycbusdriver said:

They DO dump seats, I'd never heard it called that but explains how a friend of mine that non revved from Dallas to Denver purchased a  confirmed seat back for $88 plus tax 3 days before coming back.

So as we all know, DP is a pathetic liar.

At any rate , I'm going on vacation to a high demand destination, I purchased 20s for the fam there and back. Its not worth stressing over and sitting at the airport for days.

Non revvin aint what it used to be, I remember when it was a pleasure to go anywhere you wanted, just pick a destination, walk up to the counter and go, those days are gone forever I think.

DallasConehead said:
They DO dump seats, I'd never heard it called that but explains how a friend of mine that non revved from Dallas to Denver purchased a  confirmed seat back for $88 plus tax 3 days before coming back.

So as we all know, DP is a pathetic liar.

At any rate , I'm going on vacation to a high demand destination, I purchased 20s for the fam there and back. Its not worth stressing over and sitting at the airport for days.

Non revvin aint what it used to be, I remember when it was a pleasure to go anywhere you wanted, just pick a destination, walk up to the counter and go, those days are gone forever I think.
Now you get to pay your employer to use them...

AANOTOK said:
Now you get to pay your employer to use them...
True that, and it is what it is, I can also take my business elsewhere a fly the best deal on the open market as well.

You got 32, I got 30, it just isn't what it was before.

These guys don't care about you anymore, there is no reason to care about them, the paradigm has changed that's the sad reality.

nycbusdriver said:

You hit the nail on the head. Non-revving has become nothing but a stressful chore rather than a pleasurable benefit. Now that non rev is free, just getting a seat will make that free ride seem futile. 

jimntx said:
Doug may also find that recruiting AND retaining top-notch employees becomes difficult if the benefit becomes unavailable that most people have as the #1 reason (at least in the back of their mind) for going to work for an airline in the first place.  As an industry, we don't have a great track record in the "staying in business" arena.

Well, that may be true about prospective airline employees.  But anyone who wants to work for an airline for the flight "benefits" has obviously never talked to an airline employee about it before.

It's like wanting to go to work for one of the big-time Silicon Valley outfits which offers their employees free Cokes from the Coke machine, but never mentions that the machine is only filled on the first of the month.

Latest posts

Back