Northwest Airlines' Post Strike Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech2101

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
Reality
Visit site
An excellent synospsis in the article below.

Just two days after the strike began, Lund fired off a "safety recommendation for accident prevention" letter to his supervisors and to FAA headquarters in Washington. It was the loudest alarm he had the authority to ring. Claiming that "a situation exists that jeopardizes life," Lund proposed cutting back on Northwest's flight schedule until mechanics and inspectors could do their job "without error." But instead of taking harsh action against the airline, the agency punished him. On Aug. 29, Lund's supervisors confiscated the badge that gave him access to Northwest's facilities and gave him a desk job. That happened to be the same day the airline sent a letter to the FAA complaining about Lund's allegedly disruptive and unprofessional conduct. The FAA says it treated Lund fairly.

Business week article

An excellent synospsis in the article below.

Business week article
Pretty scary stuff...I have some inside info that this is not done yet...more info from several media sources to follow....
But answer this, without a smoking hole, is it going to fly as real news to the everyday person? I read somewhere that said there were people on that 777 that landed short at Heathrow....that didn't know that there was any problems....prob just basking on how much money they saved.....

It's a shame things never change. I left U-S Airways almost 3 years ago after 17 yrs in MTC. Everything was headed in the wrong direction. Outsource this, outsource that, etc. They wanted everything on the cheap and probably still do. Unfortunately it takes loss of life for something to get noticed or changed. Until then, the fat cats in the company and FAA will sit back in their leather chairs telling themselves what a great job they are doing.

I wish my fellow NON-SCAB wrenches all the best. The rest of you can go screw yourselves. Losers!! :down:

whether or not that Lund guy had a behavorial issue, the point of the fact is he pointed out that NWa was/may be still is an unsafe airline due to lack of maintaince. Indeed that 757 tire blow could have resulted in an accident but the crew did an exceptional job with the plane

whether or not that Lund guy had a behavorial issue, the point of the fact is he pointed out that NWa was/may be still is an unsafe airline due to lack of maintaince. Indeed that 757 tire blow could have resulted in an accident but the crew did an exceptional job with the plane
But then there are crews that will cross picket lines and do whatever it takes to get the aircraft out of town. Yeah, the strike is over. But as Mr. Lund said, "Northwest Airlines is an operating air carrier," . "It is not a school to train its mechanics while it operates at a safety risk to the public."
Here's another example. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=2...00103&key=1 Out of LGA. They worked the engine the prior night. 6am dep and the cowl departs. A Pinnacle fly boy was seated at the window and witnessed the cowl vibrating. He told the F/A who in turn told the crew. They elected to continue to DTW. Both halves departed the airplane and causing severe damage to the engine pylon, the leading edge of the wing and the right hand horizontal stablizer.

The contract LGA tech received 3 weeks off with out pay. The fly boys have been suspended for 2 weeks. The Capt for not returning to LGA and the F/O for not noticing that the cowling was unlatched during his walk around.

The FAA is a 'tombstone' agency and like every other government entity its a joke.

When a mass loss of life occurs, then and only then will they act. :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.