Okay, who farted?

There really is nothing to talk about with SWA. Management has stated no new cities this year and they have also said only netting an increase of 11 planes. This just isn''t the place for big rumors right now. I flew from LAS to MDW last week and even asked the agents on both ends if there were any rumors and they even said "no". I look at it as the lull before the storm.

I guess it''s a matter of perspective. With good friends most definitely in harms way in Iraq and the utter mayhem other friends are facing at other carriers, it feels kinda unsportsmanlike to speculate on new cities, new frequencies, new hires, new planes, new snack packs, etc. All of us here at Southwest know our paychecks are good, we''ll be flying next week and next month, our futures look good; and we know we''ve had a hand in making that our fate. But wih all the turmoil in the world, it doesn''t feel good to tweak anybody at the moment. Let''s hope we get our troops home soon and get our industry healthy again.

Elvis

Just finishing a 4 day trip today. Of the 14 flights I have worked only 1 had less than 100 people on it. Of course I was working up and down the East Coast and it is Spring Break. Things are pretty quiet, everbody just doing their job and praying for our troops overseas. A few of our own Pilots and Flight Crews are over there doing their part. Anyway, to stir some stuff up maybe here are a few things I have heard and read lately.

The Flight Attendant Contract is progressing slowly. The 13 hour duty day requested by Managment died a quick death.

No new cities this year.

Colleen said at the Message to the Field in Chicago that there are no plans to add onboard entertainment systems and said "Thats what the Flight Attendants are for".

We will re-start Flight Attendant training in August, a small class, probably less than 100.

The new terminals in HOU and MDW are almost done. We have started using new gates at both airports already. FLL is done and we LUV the new gates. We started using gate 104 at MCO. MCI will be the next big remodeling project. All the Ticket Counters and Gate Podiums are getting a face lift in the new colors.

We are getting new snacks in April. The AM Mid-Range flights will be Chips Ahoy Cookies and the PM snack will be Air Crisp Crackers. The new Long-Haul snack packs have Ritz Crackers and Cherry Fruit Snacks. It seems, no matter what anybody says, Coors Light and Bud Light will not be coming back. So, now we run out of Miller Light ever other flight.

Some of the Male Flight Attendants have started a letter writing campaign to Management, to allow Facial Hair. It seems managment thinks that "Facial Hair does not look professional". ( I guess sweat suits are ok, ie Colleen outfit of choice)

The long hauls are a big success. Seems that flights over 90 minutes now account for 26% of all our flights. Rumor in MCO, is that we are getting a non stop to LAS and LAX this summer.

To conserve fuel, we are shutting down the APU''s at the gates. They plan on using Ground Services instead.

Safe Flying!

Currently we are operating out of new and old gates in MDW. Last time I was there, they were in the process of demolishing the D, F or G concourse, whichever one it was at the time the new gates opened. Been told all the gates should be done by late summer.

----------------
On 4/1/2003 4:10:48 AM ICUNMCO wrote:

The new terminals in HOU and MDW are almost done. We have started using new gates at both airports already.
----------------​

You''re in the new gates at MDW? Oh, glory day! Are you totally out of the last vestige of the old, dumpy, dingy MDW (the old concourse) or are you presently using both old and new gates?

----------------

The long hauls are a big success. Seems that flights over 90 minutes now account for 26% of all our flights. Rumor in MCO, is that we are getting a non stop to LAS and LAX this summer.

To conserve fuel, we are shutting down the APU''s at the gates. They plan on using Ground Services instead.

Safe Flying!

----------------​

So I guess the rumor that longhauls were gonna account for 50% of the schedule is slowly coming true! I''m glad that they are popular,I was a little worried after BWI-LAX was announed!

Has shutting down the APUs at the gate really started bring fuel usage down. I''m mean the longest turn is what, 35 minutes?....is it making that much of a difference?

BTW AAstew....I didn''t mean it the way it sounded,just that it''s been quiet considering past usage. I hope everything works out for you guys over at AA

Where''s busdrvr at.....he could get this jumpstarted real fast!

About shutting the APU down on turns, this is directly from www.Ifly737.com

MCO To Become Southwest’s Newest ‘Gate Services’ Station
Our Station at Orlando International Airport (MCO) will become our latest “Gate Servicesâ€￾ operation on Tuesday as part of an effort to reduce the amount of fuel our aircraft use while sitting at the gate. Our Gate Services Stations help the Company save money by using electrical power from our gate facilities on the ground, rather than from the aircraft’s auxiliary power unit (APU). The annual savings could amount to roughly $5 million, as well as eight million gallons of fuel. Austin, PBI, and TPA already have incorporated the new practices, with more Stations to follow.

Just like the new coffee cups saving us $25,000 a year, every little cost cut we can do helps. Next up, cheaper toilet paper .....

i have a feeling you guys will have a lot to talk about one day. With every airline around u filing for bk to compete on a level playing field. Hopefully for you guys it will be ok ... Just be careful what you wish for.

----------------
On 4/2/2003 11:10:46 AM usfliboi wrote:

i have a feeling you guys will have a lot to talk about one day. With every airline around u filing for bk to compete on a level playing field. Hopefully for you guys it will be ok ... Just be careful what you wish for.

----------------​
What is it that they are wishing for? I haven''t seen any "hot dawg, the others are filing bankruptcy" posts that would indicate that anyone is taking any particular glee at the conditions of the other airlines.

Can you please give us the post where a SWA employee was "wishing" for something? Maybe you need to clear up your post because it is kinda confusing to me.
----------------
On 4/2/2003 11:10:46 AM usfliboi wrote:

----------------​

Boy am I envious, things at AA haven''t been boring in a long time. Morale is in the toilet.
USAir went through bankruptcy, and got their cost down to 10.5 cents. Not even close to WN''s. So you have nothing to worry about, even with al the others using bankruptcy protection. You will be the big winners in this mess.

Before this degenerates into something ugly, let me explain my posting.

This fourm has been cleared out like somebody farted in here. I just wanted to know how everybody was doing and what the company was up to. It was not a "slam" or "flame" at any airline. I joined this company at a time when we were hearing some new rumor every week....I got used to that and enjoyed hashing it out with the folks on the board. All I wanted to do was stimulate some conversation,not a war.

Okay.....passing the peace pipe on to the next person!