on AA.com..AA is HIRING! posted same day WARN letters came out

BonTemps

Aug 31, 2005
Check it our yourselves..the same day AA handed out Warn letters to the Agents, Managers, TWU leadership, Support staff...and under a supposed HIRING FREEZE that was all over the news..

AA posted jobs on AAcareers. com for "analyst" "Business analyst" 'Financial Analyst" This is a crock of BS. These are level 1 and 2 headquarter jobs that anyone with half a brain can do and should be offered to them if they are subject to a layoff. Any agent who has worked a year in the business and has graduated high school could be trained to use the computer program that basically gives these people the "figures' for the job they do. Any manager could do it..and I'm sure the fleet service clerks could do it as well, and also the mechanics. The flight attendants and pilots could do it. How about the 400 people from SJU???? Anyone who needs their job, flight benefits, insurance, etc should get these jobs or no one at all.

The only requirement was a MBA and 0 experience. PLEASE!!! I've been there..these Kids sit at a computer looking at facebook all day and have their ipods on.

AND sources I know at HDQ say they have some of these "new hires" working 2 weeks to 2 months and they are protected from layoff because AA made a "commitment" to them.

What about AA's commitment to the rest of us??

See for yourself..and I know it may not help but I think everyone should band together and demand an explanation of why..if we need to cut 8-10% of our workforce WHY they are hiring know-nothings off of the street

Obviously they need those type of people. those sound like high turn-over positions, so there are always will be openings. Anyone facing a layoff with an MBA may apply.

Check it our yourselves..the same day AA handed out Warn letters to the Agents, Managers, TWU leadership, Support staff...and under a supposed HIRING FREEZE that was all over the news..

AA posted jobs on AAcareers. com for "analyst" "Business analyst" 'Financial Analyst" This is a crock of BS. These are level 1 and 2 headquarter jobs that anyone with half a brain can do and should be offered to them if they are subject to a layoff. Any agent who has worked a year in the business and has graduated high school could be trained to use the computer program that basically gives these people the "figures' for the job they do. Any manager could do it..and I'm sure the fleet service clerks could do it as well, and also the mechanics. The flight attendants and pilots could do it. How about the 400 people from SJU???? Anyone who needs their job, flight benefits, insurance, etc should get these jobs or no one at all.

The only requirement was a MBA and 0 experience. PLEASE!!! I've been there..these Kids sit at a computer looking at facebook all day and have their ipods on.

AND sources I know at HDQ say they have some of these "new hires" working 2 weeks to 2 months and they are protected from layoff because AA made a "commitment" to them.

What about AA's commitment to the rest of us??

See for yourself..and I know it may not help but I think everyone should band together and demand an explanation of why..if we need to cut 8-10% of our workforce WHY they are hiring know-nothings off of the street

What with the golf games, meetings to plan meetings and other important issues, it may some time for the info re: a hiring freeze and impending layoff to travel to the other side of their offices.

Don't be too hard on them; give them a chance - they're only useless yuppies.

Any manager could do it..and I'm sure the fleet service clerks could do it as well, and also the mechanics. The flight attendants and pilots could do it. How about the 400 people from SJU???? Anyone who needs their job, flight benefits, insurance, etc should get these jobs or no one at all.

So the airline stops hiring everywhere because of downsizing in another part of the country? Right...

l'm all for letting furloughee's go after HDQ jobs. I used to interview FSC's & agents ahead of experienced and degreed candidates all the time . l even hired a few. Far better to get someone who speaks airline and teach them the tools than it is to try and teach someone how an airline works...

Nothing prevents anyone from applying for jobs at HDQ. All you have to do is give up the flexibility i.e. CS or trip-trade, TL, overtime pay, and show up to work a 9 hour day with the same two days off when 90% of the rest of the country is also off duty.

But I think you ought to check the pay grade for a Level 1/2. That's the main reason the turnover in those jobs is pretty high. Upward of 30% annually in some departments, which is why they have to resort to recruiting recent grads from as far away as Kansas, North Carolina, etc. instead of finding people looking to escape the airport.

The other challenge with HDQ work is you no longer feel like you work for an airline.

I was lucky enough to be able to go out and touch metal every couple weeks. Most HDQ jobs don't allow that (AOA badges aren't just given out nor are they free anymore). A lot of the airport people l knew at HDQ wound up going back after a few years of the "country club" y'all think it is. Heck, I would have stayed around had the right job in an airport been available. Too bad I was born a white male attracted to women. Otherwise, I'd have had more options... ;) Look at the demographics on who gots the L5 GM & shift manager jobs for the past six to ten years, and you'll see...

So the airline stops hiring everywhere because of downsizing in another part of the country? Right...

l'm all for letting furloughee's go after HDQ jobs. I used to interview FSC's & agents ahead of experienced and degreed candidates all the time . l even hired a few. Far better to get someone who speaks airline and teach them the tools than it is to try and teach someone how an airline works...

Nothing prevents anyone from applying for jobs at HDQ. All you have to do is give up the flexibility i.e. CS or trip-trade, TL, overtime pay, and show up to work a 9 hour day with the same two days off when 90% of the rest of the country is also off duty.

But I think you ought to check the pay grade for a Level 1/2. That's the main reason the turnover in those jobs is pretty high. Upward of 30% annually in some departments, which is why they have to resort to recruiting recent grads from as far away as Kansas, North Carolina, etc. instead of finding people looking to escape the airport.

The other challenge with HDQ work is you no longer feel like you work for an airline.

I was lucky enough to be able to go out and touch metal every couple weeks. Most HDQ jobs don't allow that (AOA badges aren't just given out nor are they free anymore). A lot of the airport people l knew at HDQ wound up going back after a few years of the "country club" y'all think it is. Heck, I would have stayed around had the right job in an airport been available. Too bad I was born a white male attracted to women. Otherwise, I'd have had more options... ;) Look at the demographics on who gots the L5 GM & shift manager jobs for the past six to ten years, and you'll see...

My understanding is you will never drop in base rate pay if a lateral or promotion. You keep your same base rate pay. Even if the job you get, the top pay on that scale is lower. Am I correct in this. Can someone guide me :up:

my point is..the jobs are not posted internally, nor are they even jobs that require honestly an MBA. Seasoned employees in the same departments got the "downsizing notices" That is what is wrong.

Depends on the circumstances. For involuntary management downgrades (i.e. L5 position is eliminated, but eeis able to meet quals and is selected for a L3 or L4 position), you'd be pay protected for no more than 12 months, and after that, reduced to the max for the new job. If you volunteer to take a lower rated position, there's no pay protection and you take the hit immediately.

Don't know how it gets handled with a contract workgroup employee moving into a management job. I've asked a friend who took a L3 job after being furloughed as a pilot. I'm fairly certain he was above the max for a L3 at the time he was furloughed.

What happened to all the rants about hating management and how useless the middle managers are... now we want to become those very people?

I agree with eolesen: people who are qualified should be considered. But I think the OP is lowballing qualifications and demeaning people by saying all they do is use a computer program and look at facebook all day. My wife has an MBA that she worked hard for, so that offends me.

I have my particular skill set and want to keep my job using it, not go off to HQ and learn to be a cube monkey.

What happened to all the rants about hating management and how useless the middle managers are... now we want to become those very people?

Over my dead body, would I ever become a manager or work at HDQ for the crAApy compAAny!

my point is..the jobs are not posted internally, nor are they even jobs that require honestly an MBA.

I'd be willing to bet those jobs were posted on Jetnet sometime in the past six months. HR is the one who holds the keys to AACareers. If we'd posted internally but didn't get a sufficient number of candidates, then and only then would HR allow us to post externally.

As for whether or not they require a MBA... That's boilerplate, and typically indicates it's not an entry level position. Just about any employer will take life or work experience in lieu of the degree. I list a bachelors as a requirement on our job postings for programmers, but hired a kid who only has his GED, yet was able to demonstrate more talent than some of the four year degree candidates I interviewed.

Seasoned employees in the same departments got the "downsizing notices" That is what is wrong.

What department are you referring to? Fact is that not everyone is qualified to do someone else's job at HDQ. You get hired to fill a niche, not as a widget (for lack of a less offensive term).

My understanding is you will never drop in base rate pay if a lateral or promotion. You keep your same base rate pay. Even if the job you get, the top pay on that scale is lower. Am I correct in this. Can someone guide me :up:

OK, I checked with my friend the furloughed pilot, who managed to find a management job after having been given his furlough notice.

HR made up a salary for him that took into account his experience for the L3 job that he was moving into, as well as salaries for others doing similar job functions in the group (which is more or less what we'd do with an external hire). Max for a L3 used to be around $60K, and a third year FO earns around $80K. So it was a pretty hefty pay cut for him. The upside was he still had an income, benefits, and kept his seniority number because he found the job -after- he was notified of furlough.

I'd assume the same to be true from a pay perspective for a max'd out FA or TWU employeee who gets furloughed but accepts a L1/2/3 job. There are also some specific fences on what does/doesn't cause you to forfeit your number, so check carefully before deciding that a management job is a better option than unemployment or donning an orange apron...

This sort of thing happens at other companies as well. Go to the career page over at Starbucks.com and you will see open positions. In spite of the fact they just announced the closure of six hundred stores and the elimination of around twelve thousand positions. Heck, even United has some positions posted.

Pretty much every airline has positions open. They can't fill them because the money offered sucks.

If anyone thinks what AA is doing is wrong, then take it to the feds. The folks that have to pay out UCB to AA's employees won't like hearing it for sure!

If anyone thinks what AA is doing is wrong, then take it to the feds. The folks that have to pay out UCB to AA's employees won't like hearing it for sure!
Meaning? The funds for paying the unemployment insurance benefits were already paid to the people who administer those benefits several quarters ago. Unemployment is paid wholly by funds collected from a payroll tax on employers.

It is not all unusual for a company to be laying off in one area of the company and hiring in another. The two events have nothing to do with each other

Bottom line- if you or I are laid off, the company has to go on.....you will get your severance, and while on lay off, you can apply for any AA vacancy you see on JETNET.....of course you will have to give back your severance, and as mentioned earlier, flexibilty, CS, OT, etc...etc...
Even though the company is in layoff mode, there simply is and always will be positions that half to be filled....the airline has to go on and operate as planned, with the positions deemed necessary to remain, even after the cuts are done....
Sorry- I get on here every night to read the new posts, simply for some recreational reading....but it just seems that we sometimes look a little too hard to find something to "complain" or bash the company about....