Operational Meltdown

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Let's see, MSNBC and NBC were all over the meltdown.

NBC is owned by GE.

GE, aircraft lessor and engine manufacturer, is a major player at U, and is, in fact, as the good captain has so often stated, a driving force behind U's second BK.

GE has been adamant that U lower its' labor costs.

Funny, I don't remember NBC disclosing any of this.

NBC ACTS like they're just giving the unbiased news, when in fact, they handed a PR coup to their parent company, for free.

Has anyone seen the media report the objective numbers of sick calls, or did the media just take U's word for it?

Has the media reported that U's policy, from Thanksgiving onward, that sick calls were to be accompanied by doctors' notes?

Has the media reported how many agents PHl was short before any sick calls?

Or, did the media just help their parent company whack labor?

diogenes said:

NBC is owned by GE.

GE, aircraft lessor and engine manufacturer, is a major player at U, and is, in fact, as the good captain has so often stated, a driving force behind U's second BK.

GE has been adamant that U lower its' labor costs.

Funny, I don't remember NBC disclosing any of this.

NBC ACTS like they're just giving the unbiased news, when in fact, they handed a PR coup to their parent company, for free.

Has anyone seen the media report the objective numbers of sick calls, or did the media just take U's word for it?

Has the media reported that U's policy, from Thanksgiving onward, that sick calls were to be accompanied by doctors' notes?

Has the media reported how many agents PHl was short before any sick calls?

Or, did the media just help their parent company whack labor?
[post="233603"][/post]​
As of tonight's news, it look like a whopping 5 (FIVE) more F/A's called in sick this Christmas than 2003. U management is a failure, and should be replaced. Greeter.

Did U management communicate a different policy regarding use of sick time during the holidays of 2004 than existed for the same period of 2003? Did they communicate the need to not use sick time unless absolutely necessary?

diogenes said:
[post="233603"][/post]​
It wasn't just an NBC thing, though. They were all all over it. I actually noticed Fox News seemed to be covering it in more detail than others.

RowUnderDCA said:
Did U management communicate a different policy regarding use of sick time during the holidays of 2004 than existed for the same period of 2003? Did they communicate the need to not use sick time unless absolutely necessary?
[post="233740"][/post]​

I don't see what difference that makes. Policy is that sick-leave is used when you're sick and feel you're unable work. That's a subjective decision by the individual.

That said, would you want an agent at the desk sneezing and coughing and handing ticket envelopes to customers?? How about a pilot that can't clear his ears, or a FA spreading a bug all over the cabin. The problem is that office management types don't really know what the rank and file go through. They think they if they can sit at a desk taking drugs that induce sleepyness, that all those lazy jerks on the floor can work too.

I don't think the policy needed any "communication" at all. If you're able to work, come to work. If the company can prove that sick leave was abused, they can take action against them and I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash . . . . but if you're going to fire someone for sick leave abuse, you'd better be able to substanciate it.

If some PHL rampers "sicked-out", then they should be disciplined, provided the company can substanciate it. This is one of the jobs of the management.

However, abuse of sick-leave is a symptom of a greater problem. The root of the problem is the corporate cancer at CCY.

Latest posts