OSHA tells PHX ramp to git-r-done

Arizona's OSHA, Arizona Division of Safety and Health (ADOSH), received detailed complaints regarding the unsafe status of US ramp equipment. They have sent a letter to the airline stating that equipment is to be fixed or replaced or there would be an in-depth inspection and audit of everything under the auspices of the safety program.

If you will remember, there was a day about a month ago when the union safety committee at PHX red-tagged some equipment only to have supervisors and managers come along and pull the tags off. This equipment had various problems like bad brakes, inoperative headlights, fluid leaks, inoperative horns, etc. Red tags were confiscated by management and the policy is now to alert the ramp manager that a piece of equipment is inoperative or unsafe. You must find the manager and he/she will determine the status of the equipment and ignore it accordingly. :lol:

:) PHX rampers are cool. B)

If you will remember, there was a day about a month ago when the union safety committee at PHX red-tagged some equipment only to have supervisors and managers come along and pull the tags off. This equipment had various problems like bad brakes, inoperative headlights, fluid leaks, inoperative horns, etc. Red tags were confiscated by management and the policy is now to alert the ramp manager that a piece of equipment is inoperative or unsafe. You must find the manager and he/she will determine the status of the equipment and ignore it accordingly. :lol:

Sounds like some supervisors and managers are due for disciplinary action.

Doogie and the gang will probably promote them and give them raises and bonuses.

Thats what we all need to be doing ref. any unsafe eqp. Was this in the paper & if so can you send me or post up a link ?

Back in the day every group starting with the pilots "doing there job" started writing every little detail up causing a unified company wide slow down. These BS details took management hours to fix things, follow-up on the write ups. Every department head was involved in changing a light bulb until contract negotiations moved forward. It worked. "NOTHING MORE THAN DOING YOUR JOB". We are creative...we can provide a service without the proper tools if we are treated well. Treat us like crap and see how many tools we need to do just the job. This is the begining and its sweet to see mgm get frustrated. They put the pressure on the top team and bingo we become friends again. ONE CONTRACT=HAPPY EMPLOYEES=HAPPY MANAGERS=COMPANY PROFIT!!

Not a slow down, you can be taken to court for that, it is working to the company's rules, policies and procedures.

This company would not hesitate to sue any union in court for a "slow down".

Not a slow down, you can be taken to court for that, it is working to the company's rules, policies and procedures.

This company would not hesitate to sue any union in court for a "slow down".

then the union can take them to the bk judge and claim it should be under the bk plan( just being funny)

Arizona's OSHA, Arizona Division of Safety and Health (ADOSH), received detailed complaints regarding the unsafe status of US ramp equipment. They have sent a letter to the airline stating that equipment is to be fixed or replaced or there would be an in-depth inspection and audit of everything under the auspices of the safety program.

Awesome. I wondered what that OSHA letter was on the wall. I figured it was something about the bathrooms.

Thats what we all need to be doing ref. any unsafe eqp. Was this in the paper & if so can you send me or post up a link ?

It wasn't in the paper. The company was required to post the letter in areas where it could be read. Several days ago, senior ramp management put up the letters yet they didn't put up the list of violations! :blink: They must have thought they were being clever. Silly Rabbit! Tricks are for kids! :lol: Yesterday, they finally put up the list of violations. Maybe someone called ADOSH about that. :eek:

Sounds like some supervisors and managers are due for disciplinary action.

It's just added to the paranoia factor for these guys. In fact, the ramp director yesterday told ramp managers that all HAZMAT tests were due that night or rampers who had not finished the test would be forced to stay after work (mandatory overtime) to finish the test. You see, they were worried obout OSHA getting on them about the tests not being finished... This was all regardless of the fact that the saftey leadership team had put up a letter stating that the due date for the tests was March 31. To paraphrase, "We know what the letter states but we are telling you to do it NOW or you WILL be mandoed." This is the same ramp director who has been rumored to have stationed himself in the parking garage with binoculars and a radio to look for God knows what on the ramp.

Awesome. I wondered what that OSHA letter was on the wall. I figured it was something about the bathrooms.

Some of us thought it was a delayed response to the violation regarding cockroaches in the water dispensers. The guy who looked inside and at the base of the old water dispensers in a ramp breakroom found cockroaches were swimming in our drinking water! He notified management who did nothing. He then notified OSHA who forced US to buy new water dispensers. That same whistleblower has faced consequences and repurcussions for reporting these cockroaches doing belly flops and cannonballs in the water dispenser.

He's been getting this ever since: :mf_boff: :cold:

In fact, the ramp director yesterday told ramp managers that all HAZMAT tests were due that night or rampers who had not finished the test would be forced to stay after work (mandatory overtime) to finish the test. You see, they were worried obout OSHA getting on them about the tests not being finished...

This policy was put in place for all departments. They're worried about the FAA, not OSHA. Normaly all HAZMAT training is done in January but I'm assuming Corp Training was too focused on migration and didn't get the HAZMAT training released until a week before it's due. Now PHX has to get 2200 employees signed off by...today.

I wonder what kind of punishment is available for those who violate lockout/tagout rules in PHX.

I don't know, because I've never seen anyone do it here in PIT. Our equipment gets fixed, and it's done quickly. GSE is really on the ball here.

This policy was put in place for all departments. They're worried about the FAA, not OSHA. Normaly all HAZMAT training is done in January but I'm assuming Corp Training was too focused on migration and didn't get the HAZMAT training released until a week before it's due. Now PHX has to get 2200 employees signed off by...today.

Isn't there a DG department responsible for this?

As I understand it, the Company requested an extension from the FAA on this matter. The FAA's response was NO EXTENTION. Anyone who has not completed the training by midnight tonight, will be unable to work until the training has been completed.